• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do Not Tolerate Mistracking-Ever!!

Karma16

Super Member
HI All,
Lately, I have been reading posts concerning cartridges and tone arm set up and I noticed something that bothered me. In an offhand way, some of the posters mentioned having mistracking issues as a normal part of life. These mentions were not the subject of the threads but were just background comments given in a casual way. The tone was that mistracking was a normal element of hi fi life, to be tolerated, like getting old.

I’m here to tell you that mistracking is a real problem and is not inevitable. Not at all. Your system should NEVER mistrack assuming that the record is in decent shape and not damaged by a previous owner. Mistracking cannot be tolerated for more than sonic reasons. Mistracking tears up records. A mistracking stylus acts like a jackhammer on the groove ruining them.

In making this judgment, I must admit to a lack of knowledge in this sense. I have not had tracking issues for over 40 years. For sure, much of this success is due to using top notch turntables, arms, and good cartridges. I have little, to no, experience with the inexpensive gear that is commonly available now. There was a time in the dark, distant, past when mistracking was on the lips of all “audiophiles” (actually that term had not yet been invented at that point in time!). The mistracking problem was largely first solved by the Shure V15 series cartridges. They set the standard that other manufacturers gradually achieved. That was a long time ago. I used the V15 series cartridges (Type 1 to Type 5) and was very satisfied. For example the V15 Type V never mistracked. Most of these cartridges were used on a SME 3009 arm.

I moved away from the Shure cartridges to Sonus and B&O cartridges (always top of the line models). Mistracking was never an issue. Cartridges from all manufacturers gradually improved to point where mistracking was hardly ever mentioned. Personally, I moved on to moving coil cartridges of gradually higher prices and lost touch with what was happening in the MM world. I made the move in about 1974 and never looked back. Mistracking has not been a problem with these MC cartridges but they do tend to cost significantly more than MM’s. So my expectations were absolute concerning mistracking. I would not tolerate it. But, I never encountered it.

I assumed that mistracking was a thing of the past for all cartridges, no matter the cartridge cost, because the advanced designs trickled down to less expensive models. But with the comments I have read here, I realized that may not be true. Thus, this post.

I have no idea if members mistracking problems (which they think are not problems) is due to cheap cartridges, tone arms, poor cartridge or arm alignment, or other issues. I do know that many members here are new to vinyl. So, they may not understand or have the experience to know that mistracking is bad, bad, bad. It should not be tolerated. The purpose of this post is to tell you exactly that. Spend whatever it takes to eliminate the problem. And it can be eliminated. Do it, now!!

Sparky
 
Register to hide this ad
Totally right, misstracking it's an crime for vinyl's also distorted repetitive play of a record finaly will destroy that record. it's very important correct setting for VTA, VTF and Anti-skating. An turntable that is proper set will make a big difference in quality of audition and also good care for your precious record collection.
 
I too was mistified as to why some have an issue with mistracking, but thought that it is sometimes normal too...untill yesterday. Even my Pioneer "Rondo 2000" entry level table from pioneer in 1976 tracks just fine. It was set up by my audio dealer who's been doing it for 20+ years. For all intense and purposes there's no inner grove distortion. Now the platter that ring's like a dinner bell thats anouther story.

I didn't even know how to correctly alien the cartridge untill I did a little research on the subject. One website had 3 protractor models that list the distotion vs tone arm length. even my "Rondo 2000" was 0 to .6%. Thats pretty good and should never be obvious. One thing I was confused about though was "Overhang". The chart figure is different that that specified from pioneer by a 3 mm.
 
Last edited:
If someone have misstracking or distorsion problem, it's better to not play good expensive records till the cause it's eliminated, if the misstrack appear it means it's a severe problem there.
 
My entry level Technics table came with an alignment tool that when used along with proper VTF and anti-skate settings,
pretty much guarantees distortion-free tracking. I've never heard inner groove distortion or other bad stuff from it.
 
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here.

You do realize that no matter how carefully the cartridge is aligned...there will only be TWO places on the record that the alignment will be perfect (linear trackers excluded). All other places on the record will experience some degree of tracking distortion.

"Skipping" of course is never tolerable, if that is what the OP is referring to.
 
HI mackat,
You are really asking an apples and oranges question. Mistracking can be a result of alignment problems. So, alignment can be a cause. Mistracking is always a result caused by something else.

Sparky
 
In fact, regarding record wear, I'm going to go one step further, and quote directly from Baerwald, who was a pioneer in developing correct cartridge alignment, in his breakthrough treatise:

"No clear experimental evidence of additional record wear caused by tracking error of usual magnitude has ever been presented." followed by "...it is hard to understand how record wear could ever be produced by tracking error of permissible magnitude."
 
I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here.

You do realize that no matter how carefully the cartridge is aligned...there will only be TWO places on the record that the alignment will be perfect (linear trackers excluded). All other places on the record will experience some degree of tracking distortion.

"Skipping" of course is never tolerable, if that is what the OP is referring to.

HI Bill,
Tracking distortion is not the same as mistracking. I know you know this. Mistracking is the result of the stylus loosing perfect contact with the groove and sort of rattles around in the groove. Mistracking can also happen with linear arms where tracking distortion is not an issue. Two different animals.

Sparky
 
HI mackat,
You are really asking an apples and oranges question. Mistracking can be a result of alignment problems. So, alignment can be a cause. Mistracking is always a result caused by something else.

Sparky

What do You mean by mistracking?
gusten
 
HI Bill,
Tracking distortion is not the same as mistracking. I know you know this. Mistracking is the result of the stylus loosing perfect contact with the groove and sort of rattles around in the groove. Mistracking can also happen with linear arms where tracking distortion is not an issue. Two different animals.

Sparky

If the stylus is rattling around in the groove, VTF is WAAAY off. Ain't no way the stylus is going to rattle around in the groove due to slight misalignment.
 
Agreed on mistracking being intolerable and totally avoidable. Two short anectodes...

I purchased a bunch of nice classic rock LPs at a yard sale, visually pristine, and some unique pressings since they had obviously been part of a Viet Nam era serviceman's collection that had been assembled overseas. Every last one was unplayable because of groove damage undoubtedly caused by a badly mistracking turntable.

The second example is even worse. Early in my return to audio, about four years ago, I purchased a bunch of classical LPs at an estate sale, including some interesting looking boxed sets. Unbeknownst to me, one of the sets I bought (for less than a buck) was the highly coveted stereo Soria "Royal Ballet Gala Performances" set that's worth around $1000. I didn't play it until I had a cartridge and turntable setup that I knew wouldn't damage the record. Imagine my dismay to hear audible distortion on the loud trumpet notes. This record, arguably one of the best sounding recordings available, was ruined by prior mistracking.

Lesson: Don't tolerate mistracking!!!
 
I never set VTF or anti-skating only by the recomandations, i use an record test that have an 1000 Hz signal section, if it can play this without problems it will play succesfuly any other record. It's amazing how the sound came out after correct setting.
 
HI Nash,
Sure, if the VTF is set too light, mistracking can occur. But, it can also occur under other circumstance as well. For example, inner groove distortion is a variety of mistracking. I'm using the term is a generic way to include all the possible causes.

No matter what the cause, it must be eliminated.

Why are you going off on the tracking error distortion idea? I totally agree that tracking error is not a cause of either wear or mistracking. However, it is a cause of other problems which are solved by linear tracking arms.

Let's put the thread back on track (no pun :music: )

Sparky
 
HI gusten,
As I said in #13 above, mistracking happens when the stylus looses contact with the groove.

Sparky

Sorry I didn´t read too well. I certainly agree about mistracking when it comes to easily corrolated distortion. The problem is, as I see it, that we might listen to minor mistracking without really knowing if it´s mistracking or some other distortion. It could be mistaken for something else.
There are some interesting threads at VE on the subject.
gusten
 
Back
Top Bottom