• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do Not Tolerate Mistracking-Ever!!

I am just curious as to why the conical version of this cartridge sounds a little better in my system? I brought this up because P-mount arms are suppose to be aligned for you. That is why I asked if this could be stylus Mistracking? I use room correction software when I listen to records, and if there are flaws, it will bring them out. The AT92E brings out more sibilance in some recordings. When I play these same recordings with my other cartridges, I don't hear this.
 
How about MC-cartridges? It seems are the best tracker, as far as i read about. I hev one, very old, polish made Unitra, i can tell that it's great, no sibilance or distortion.
 
I am just curious as to why the conical version of this cartridge sounds a little better in my system? I brought this up because P-mount arms are suppose to be aligned for you. That is why I asked if this could be stylus Mistracking? I use room correction software when I listen to records, and if there are flaws, it will bring them out. The AT92E brings out more sibilance in some recordings. When I play these same recordings with my other cartridges, I don't hear this.

It should be properly pre-aligned, unless the tonearm is bent or loose. Unfortunately, the P-mount system does not allow for any adjustment, and factory alignment is not always optimum if you have a minor defect like a skewed cantilever, or a slightly rotated stylus tip. Conical styli are more forgiving if something is not quite right.

Since you have two AT92ECD styli, I doubt your issue is a defective stylus. I would guess it probably has more to do with a compliance mismatch. Your turntable must just have better "synergy" with the conical.

Also, is this issue consistant on all records, or just on certain ones?
 
Last edited:
It should be properly pre-aligned, unless the tonearm is been bent or loose. Unfortunately, the P-mount system does not allow for any adjustment, and factory alignment is not always optimum if you have a minor defect like a skewed cantilever, or a slightly rotated stylus tip.

Since you have two styli, I doubt that's your issue. I would guess it probably has more to do with a compliance mismatch. Your turntable must just have better "synergy" with the conical.

Also, is this issue consistant on all records, or just on certain ones?

It just happens on certain records. Now that I think about this, the AT92ECD probably is not a good match for the JVC arm and this is why I hear more sibilance in some recordings. On my P-mount table, I always wondered how accurate the tracking force is. I have it set to 1.25 grams, so this probably shouldn't be the issue either.
 
i set VTF with test record, it has a buzz signal, i set VTF at lower level and i play a little increasing gradualy the VTF little by little till that buzz it's undistorted. My cartridge recomandation are 1.0 - 2,5g. After set finished with test record help, VTF is 1,5g and i can tell all the sibilance are gone.
 
It really seems to depend on the cartridge and turntable setup. Cartridges (specifically styli) have a manufacturer recommended "VTF range" in which to operate. It seems like with most cartridges, they will track best from 1/2-3/4 of that range. However, in the case of the AT92ECD, it has no trouble at 1.5g, which is the top of it's range, (1.0 - 1.5g.) This way, it is compatible with the many low-end P-mount TT's that aren't adjustable, and only operate at their 1.5g factory pre-set VTF.
 
Lower VTF will cause bouncing movements of the stylus vich cause damage both, the stylus and the groove of record. Sibilance is cause by that. it must set a proper VTF needed for styli have a good and constant contact with groove.
 
Before I got my AT92ECD, I was using a Stanton L720P cartridge, which was rated at 1.0 to 1.5g. I couldn't get it to track without sibilance unless I tracked it at 1.7g. I thought maybe stylus wear was the culprit, so I bought a new stylus that was worse! So, 1.7g it was. As turntabletym was saying, better to have more weight than mistracking!
 
Before I got my AT92ECD, I was using a Stanton L720P cartridge, which was rated at 1.0 to 1.5g. I couldn't get it to track without sibilance unless I tracked it at 1.7g. I thought maybe stylus wear was the culprit, so I bought a new stylus that was worse! So, 1.7g it was. As turntabletym was saying, better to have more weight than mistracking!

Good point. This will preserve the records, that are more important than styli:thmbsp:
 
Thank you for all of the help. when I setup my Technics deck again, I will change VTF to 1.5 grams and see how it sounds.
 
Nice thread, thanks for starting it. All of the problems I've had with tracking, tracing, and IGD have been due to the record itself or fuzz on the stylus tip.
 
Could someone actually define "mistracking"?

I don't believe my table mistracks...but how does one know??

silly question? :headscrat
 
Could someone actually define "mistracking"?

I don't believe my table mistracks...but how does one know??

silly question? :headscrat

Not a silly question! I believe it should be defined as the needle riding up on one groove wall. As this happens the needle looses contact with the other wall. If this happens at high frequences the sound will be undefined and have a sort of 'crackling' character.
gusten
 
Not a silly question! I believe it should be defined as the needle riding up on one groove wall. As this happens the needle looses contact with the other wall. If this happens at high frequences the sound will be undefined and have a sort of 'crackling' character.
gusten

HI,
Yes, and generally becomes audible during loud passages. This is typically true if the stylus is worn.

Sparky
 
You don't have to put up with "mistracking" and you don't need an expensive TT to do that either. Proper set up on any TT = no mistraking.
Uh, that sais, I do admit that I have great trouble using those damn protractors readily available for download or sometimes come with the cart. I get one end aligned and the reat is off. I can't read all those lines, my eyes cross. So I just chose one line as best I can and makes due the cart is mounted correctly with the proper overhang, make sue the arm is balanced and the tracking force adjusted correctly. So far on my two Pioneer TTs = sonic bliss. My Denon, which I did not set up (seller had it set up and running)..I'm not so sure, could be the record I tried or a worn needle or setup out of whack. I have not gone beyond that point in using it yet.
 
Those can be a pain in the hind end! Most printable protractors have a line you measure to check the accuracy of the print. Usually it is like 180mm. When printing those protractors, make sure you measure that line with a ruler. If the line is the wrong length, you have to go into print settings and make sure it's set to 100%, not to fit to page or a similar setting. If it's printing at the wrong size, it won't line up. Otherwise, make sure the cartridge is square to the headshell, and move it forward or back until it lines up. Just takes patience!
 
Back
Top Bottom