• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Does Anyone Have This Lens?

Register to hide this ad
No, but I am all for high quality, it's something that last a lifetime and you will always be happy with it.
.....HiFiCanada, I swore at one time to NEVER have another zoom because of the losses on image quality and overall picture quality....but this lens might be ok....vitrually all the pointed-out features are geared toward a more crisp image quality.....


Fast, wide-angle to medium Telephoto AF-S zoom lens optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both the Nikon FX (23.9 x 36mm) and DX format image sensors.

Enhanced optical formulas engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, rendering outstanding image integrity.

Two Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements and PGM aspherical lenses control chromatic aberrations while enhancing sharpness and contrast, even at the widest aperture settings.

Exclusive Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity.

Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables ultra high-speed auto focusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet operation.

Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet auto focusing without changing the length of the lens, retaining subject-working distance through the focus range.

Focus as close as 14.9 inches.
 
go to photo.net and to the forums tab then to the Nikon forum and ask your question there are thousands of people who hang out there that will be able to tell you every tiny detail of that lens.
 
I don't have it (as I'm using Canon), but it has a VERY good reputation. It's very sharp.

Dave
 
If your shooting full frame there is no better zoom lens for Nikon...I was tempted also to use it on my DX body but I'd loose too much on the wide end so I saved a few hundred bucks and got the 17-55 f2.8

Go here and you'll see hundreds of full sized images from about every lens made on a lot of different bodies. http://www.pixel-peeper.com/

Hmmm it seems you'll need to have a yahoo ID to view the full sized images now:sigh:
 
Last edited:
If your shooting full frame there is no better zoom lens for Nikon...I was tempted also to use it on my DX body but I'd lose too much on the wide end
.....Mikey, what did you mean by the last part?....with a DX body, this 24-70 zoom lens would be the equivalant of a 36-105 zoom-range....perfect, imo, for about everything.....
 
.....Mikey, what did you mean by the last part?....with a DX body, this 24-70 zoom lens would be the equivalant of a 36-105 zoom-range....perfect, imo, for about everything.....

To me 36mm isn't really that wide..especially for interior shots and family gatherings indoors and landscapes. I'd rather have the equivalent of 24-85 which is what the 17-55 gives me...I plan on a 10-20 (15-30 mm equivalent) or similar range someday, Wide angle is fun :banana:

You have a full frame or DX body? The 17-55 doesn't have quite the same reputation as the 24-70 as far as image quality goes but build quality is the same, the Tamron 17-50 is almost as good as the 17-55 IQ wise for far less but build quality is not great like the all metal Nikon.

If you can afford the 24-70 and can live with 36mm on the wide end if your DX then get it, though its quite heavy it'll feel really good in your hands.
 
Last edited:
You have a full frame or DX body?
.....I have a D200 which has a DX sensor....so I'd have 36-105 with this 24-70....yes, your 17-55 gives you 25.5 on the wide end, and sometimes you need that for indoors....but outdoors, I'd rather have 105 over the 82.5 you've got....I don't know, I've usually been able to figure out how to get a shot indoors with a 35-105....36-105 is close enough....it appears Nikon has busted their butts to make a zoom that rivals their fixed lenses....the 17-55 is considered excellent also....it's HandyHamlet's workhorse.....
 
I have this lens and am using it with a D300. It is absolutely outstanding. A bit on the heavy side, but well worth it. Sharpness, contrast, color are all excellent. This is considered one of Nikon's finest lens. For additional info on all things Nikon, you might visit: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/
 
.....I have a D200 which has a DX sensor....so I'd have 36-105 with this 24-70....yes, your 17-55 gives you 25.5 on the wide end, and sometimes you need that for indoors....but outdoors, I'd rather have 105 over the 82.5 you've got....I don't know, I've usually been able to figure out how to get a shot indoors with a 35-105....36-105 is close enough....it appears Nikon has busted their butts to make a zoom that rivals their fixed lenses....the 17-55 is considered excellent also....it's HandyHamlet's workhorse.....


Id go for the 24-70 then, the future of full frame looks bright and someday when you do go full frame you'll have that wider end with a great lens.

For myself I have the D300 and don't plan on any future upgrades...resolution and noise performance is more than enough for my needs.
 
I have this lens and am using it with a D300. It is absolutely outstanding. A bit on the heavy side, but well worth it. Sharpness, contrast, color are all excellent. This is considered one of Nikon's finest lens.
.....hmmm, apparently we have a happy camper....
 
Id go for the 24-70 then, the future of full frame looks bright and someday when you do go full frame you'll have that wider end with a great lens.

For myself I have the D300 and don't plan on any future upgrades...resolution and noise performance is more than enough for my needs.
.....Mikey, I'm pretty sure all I'll ever need is this D200.....
 
.....Mikey, I'm pretty sure all I'll ever need is this D200.....

Yeah..It's a lot of camera:yes: If your seriously considering the 24-70 I'd jump on it, You wont be disappointed. Is there a place you can rent lenses near you? you could try both 17-55 and 24-70 then buy.
 
That is a sweet looking lens, mulester. When you get it be sure to send it to me for a good workout and then I can post a review about the lens for you. Sure would save you a lot of time and trouble, amigo.

:D
 
That is a sweet looking lens, mulester. When you get it be sure to send it to me for a good workout and then I can post a review about the lens for you. Sure would save you a lot of time and trouble, amigo.

:D
.....well, I guess ya' better send me your mailing address, Jesse, 'cause I'm about to pull the trigger....am also going to order a Nikon SB-600 flashinator thingie....will get lotsa' grandkid shots in baseball.....

.....a heavy shorter lens can hand-hold very nicely....this is what I'll try....elbows tight against the stomach....take one last deep breath, let none out, and drop the shoulders down on the fully expanded lungs....you can feel the lowering of the shoulders until they settle and you're actually comfortable....so, you got shoulders and reinforced arms sitting on a beach ball....click.....
 
Last edited:
And I was seriously thinking about upgrading my D200 to the full sensored D700 but as luck would have it my daughter and her marital problems pretty much squelched that idea for now. I could have bought the D700 and at least two very, very nice lenses for what I spent on her legal fees already. :tears:
 
Back
Top Bottom