• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1219 motor noise

Johncan

Record collector
My Dual 1219 is making a racket and the noise appears to be coming from the motor. At first I thought it was the idler wheel but it is not because I get the noise even when the platter is removed. How should I troubleshoot this?
 
Register to hide this ad
There is a nice pdf write up going around that describes how to remove and oil the motor of a 1219 motor. Seems like an easy job...I plan to do this shortly on my 1229. If you need a copy send me an email to my moniker at AOL. Unfortunately it's too big to attach
 
There are several past AK threads about this too. Use the search funtion and search for something like 'dual motor lube.' The procedure is much the same for several dual idler models.

When I got my used Dual 1229, I managed to get most of the functions working correctly after very gradually cleaning and relubing the various machinery underneath. I had to keep the pitch control turned far past the middle to get correct speed, but still I could get correct speed at all 3 speed settings. The main issue was that every time I played records, after 1 to 3 Lp sides, the turntable would start chirping like a nestful of baby sparrows! I thought I was going to have to replace the motor, and even started to search for replacements online. Luckily, I learned how to take the motor apart, clean the bearings, and relube them. The motor quieted down completely, and came back strong. It's probably good for another 30 years now. The hardest part of the clean and lube process for me was getting the motor covers to begin to slide apart. After that the process went smoothly and was very successful.
 
I just got the PDF from Dadbar. I hope I can do this myself.

Just procede slowly but surely. And ask questions if something isn't going the way it looked like it was supposed to. Anyway that was my procedure everytime I was trying some kind of Dual maintenance for the first time. You'll do fine!
 
Back
Top Bottom