• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1237

OddE.O'Phile

Well-Known Member
Just picked up a Dual 1237 today. The price was right. :D
Had to replace the patch cord, but other than that it seems to be all there.
I didn't find anything in this forum on the 1237. Does anyone have any opinions?
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know much about the belt-drive units, but apparently there are two slightly different appearances for the 1237:
http://dual-reference.com/tables/1237.htm
Perhaps you know, if you sign-up at vinylengine, you can download the owners manual .pdf they have for that model:
http://dual-reference.com/tables/1237.htm

Incidentally, what cartridge is on it? Does it seem to be working okay? I suspect the belts have to be replaced from time to time, but maybe yours is fine.
 
Incidentally, what cartridge is on it? Does it seem to be working okay? I suspect the belts have to be replaced from time to time, but maybe yours is fine.

It has a Shure M91ED. Not sure where that ranks in the Shure lineup, but I've been listening to records on my new phonograph all day.... and I love it!

A nice lady at a yard sale told me that her husband said there was something wrong with it so I got it for five bucks. The problem was a bad patch cord, which I replaced. The belt is even ok. The wood base needs a little attention, and the dust cover does too, but the functionality is 100%. Needless to say, I'm quite happy. :thmbsp:
 
The M91ED was a righteous cartridge, and certainly is a good match for the 1237, you won't need better.

But, wait a minute...: :worthless
 
Ok, ok... Snapped some photos this morning. I've played at least 6 or 8 records on my phonograph and our relationship is growing stronger all the time! I let some dust build up on the stylus, but have since removed it! I like the sound of the cartridge a lot. This looks the beginning of a beautiful friendship...:yes:
 

Attachments

  • 100_3697.JPG
    100_3697.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 628
  • 100_3698.JPG
    100_3698.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 100_3699.JPG
    100_3699.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 496
You have the 1st generation model. Has the nicer platter.
Later one is 2-piece and stamped, if I properly recall.

The motor should be lubed, as Dual went cheap by not placing felt wicks around the bushings.
At least this holds true for the later model.
In spite of these matters, the little turntable is a nice performer for sure.

But please attend to the motor.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop
 
Can you recommend a lube? Where do I lube? I want to do what I can for this TT as I am really growing to like it more and more, the more I play it. Maybe it's the Shure cartridge, I don't know, but I really, really, really, really like the sound..... Did I mention I really like the sound?:D

Thanks :thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
My mother has a 2nd version 1237 (platter with strobe markings, plastic base). Last year it stopped working after 30+ years of service. The motor had frozen up, and lubing the bottom motor bearing got it spinning again.

So do you have just the single spindle? My mother had just the changer spindle until I bought her the single one last year when worked on it. She was just playing one record at a time anyway, so the single spindle was a good upgrade for her.
 
Last edited:
Use clean car engine oil on the two motor bearings and platter bearing.
Not too difficult.
If you remove the 'vario-pulley', you absolutely must put it back onto the armature at the same height, and re-adjust the single nylon nut to the same height as well. This is to assure that the belt rides on the correct part of the pulley.
My 1st 'vario-pulley' was tough, but they got easier.

**As you can see, there is a wedge that is used to vary the diameter of the pulley. The diameter needs to be correct and the height of the pulley needs to be as well.

If you can manage to apply oil to the top bearing w/o removing the pulley, even better for you.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop
 
So do you have just the single spindle? My mother had just the changer spindle until I bought her the single one last year when worked on it. She was just playing one record at a time anyway, so the single spindle was a good upgrade for her.

I was lucky and got both the single spindle as well as the changer. :yes: I did not get a 45 rpm adapter, however. :no:
 
It's great that the unit is working fine after fixing the cord.

Is the motor quiet? If so, take your time making sure how to proceed with the motor lubrication. Not that it will be that hard to do, but something could get a bit out of adjustment in the process, and it would interrupt your vinyl listening fest!

It may not matter much if you lube the motor right now or next month if everything is working great. Just don't forget all about doing it.
 
Forget what? Was I supposed to remember something? What were we talking about?:lmao:

But seriously.... The only issue is a bit of grounding hum. I've heard that you can run a wire to your external water faucet, where you hook your hose up, :yes:, and it makes a great ground..... If anyone has any other less complicated grounding solutions, Pleeeeeeeeez let me know. :thmbsp:

Now, back to my vinyl listening fest.... Jim Croce, Time in Bottle........
 
Back
Top Bottom