• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dumbest thing someone has ever said to you?

In the 80’s I was a bench tech at a cell phone repair company. Back then, most of the cellphones were mounted in vehicles. We had an installer who had put a phone in someone’s car and had a short somewhere that kept blowing fuses. He cane into the repair room and showed me a handful of about 5 of those automotive blade type fuses. He said “ Look at that. Five bad fuses. What are the chances of that? I should call BUSS.”

I have a sister in-law that is known to be a little dingy. At Christmas one year she tried to say ‘good things come in small packages’ , but said “ little things come in small packages”.
 
A few years ago, a hi-end salesman told me, in quite a snobbish way, that when building a speaker, first we build the crossover and after that we choose drivers and cabinet:banana:.
I feel sorry for his clients
 
I never liked Billy Bragg either, but I doubt even his biggest fans would would say his work was "the Sgt. Peppers of the 80's". I think his fans might consider him to be "the new Woody Guthrie", or something like that.
Anyway, yes that was a dumb thing to say.
Corey Greenberg, telling the Stereophile readership that (paraphrasing) "Nirvana was just the greatest thing since, ever. Certainly better than the crappy stuff they enjoyed".
Way to make the sale, Corey!
 
Last edited:
Oh my God, I could go on for days about stupid shite I heard at work. I was once replying to a superior by saying, "Well, best practice would tell you that you should......" and she looks me in the eye and says (as she flips her hair back) "We're way beyond best practice." Nothing further from the truth unless you were looking at best practice in the 1920s.
 
Someone said they could feel a weight difference between two objects of the same mass.
Someone said they could feel a heat difference between two objects of the same temperature.
Someone said they could hear a volume difference between two audio waveforms of the same amplitude.
Someone said they could hear a difference in pitch between two audio waveforms of the same frequency.
Someone said they did not have to listen to something to tell what it would sound like.
Someone said listening to something is a poor indicator of how it sounds.
Someone said a digital file can't be perfectly copied.
Someone said when they browse a website, the webpage does not come to the computer, the browser goes to the website.
Someone told me one of their acoustic guitars was out of phase with the other.

Someone also told me there was a small worm that lives in hair follicles...but he was correct.
 
Last edited:
Someone said they could feel a weight difference between two objects of the same mass.
Someone said they could feel a heat difference between two objects of the same temperature.
Someone said they could hear a volume difference between two audio waveforms of the same amplitude.
Someone said they could hear a difference in pitch between two audio waveforms of the same frequency.
Someone said they did not have to listen to something to tell what it would sound like.
Someone said listening to something is a poor indicator of how it sounds.
Someone said a digital file can't be perfectly copied.
Someone said when they browse a website, the webpage does not come to the computer, the browser goes to the website.
Someone told me one of their acoustic guitars was out of phase with the other.

Someone also told me there was a small worm that lives in hair follicles...but he was correct.

Depending on circumstances, most of this is correct, to an extent.

Someone said they could feel a weight difference between two objects of the same mass.

The guy's an astronaut. He lifted one of the masses on earth and the other in space. Sure they weigh different.

Someone said they could feel a heat difference between two objects of the same temperature.

Sure, one is wet and the other dry. The water conducts heat away from the body seven times faster, and you will feel a difference. In fact, on Big Bang Theory Leonard was going to explain to Penny why the butter on the muffin seemed hotter than the bread even though they were the same temperature.

Someone said they could hear a volume difference between two audio waveforms of the same amplitude.

Sure one is 1kHz and the other 20 Hz. Even at the same amplitude, 1kHz is going to sound a whole lot louder.

Someone said they could hear a difference in pitch between two audio waveforms of the same frequency.

Sure, he was standing still for one and moving during the other and observing Doppler shift. The wave being emitted by the speaker was the same, but the shift changes its frequency as he perceives it.

Someone said they did not have to listen to something to tell what it would sound like.

Sure, if the power is off, they all sound pretty much the same.

Someone said a digital file can't be perfectly copied.

Sure, not in cursive writing.

Someone said when they browse a website, the webpage does not come to the computer, the browser goes to the website.

The only thing that comes to my computer or leaves here are 1's and 0's. There are no "pages" going anywhere.

Someone told me one of their acoustic guitars was out of phase with the other.

Depending on the distance from each other, sure they can be.
 
Last edited:
I honestly don't quite know where I fall on the analog/digital debate (though I'm leaning towards digital) as I've never had a chance to A/B anything like the beat that each of these has to offer. I've talked to friends who really seem to know nothing of the subject and who, if they even have analog gear at all, it's something crummy with a worn out stylus and they're so sure that analog is some much "warmer" and better...
 
Last edited:
A manufacturing tech was hired for an electrical engineering position (desperate).

This was back in 1982. We were doing software development and testing on an airborne radar system for a fighter jet. I heard, then I saw, the radar antenna violently slamming into its gimbal stops, and power supply relays chattering. This guy was plugging circuit boards into and out of the chassis with the power on and the system running.

I quickly shut it down and asked “what are you doing”? He said he was “plugging all the digital PC boards in and out to makes the weak chips die.”
 
After one day listening to a pair of $16K Wilson Watt Puppy VI Speakers driven by Threshold Amps, and thought they sounded very lackluster and bland, the salesman asked me what sort of Speakers was I using, and I told him JBL.

He said "I thought so!"

I told him I did like the Wilson Witt Speakers though ($8.3K). Better Bass Response I thought with the larger Bass Driver.
 
I'm still pissed at the guy who was working behind the counter at Main Street Records in Northampton, MA in 1984 .

Ahh...lingering resentment, seriously though I know the feeling.

Was Main Street Records on the bottom floor of Thornes?

Smith College parties were always a good time
 
Back
Top Bottom