• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dumbest thing someone has ever said to you?

Actually, this is one of the concepts that I often ponder on.

We all know that warm air rises because the heat decreases its density. But if you heated a spot on a copper plate in a vacuum and measured the actual heat of the plate in various locations, would it really be hotter at the top than the bottom without the hot air carrying heat upwards? :idea:

And which way would it go in space with no air, gravity, or sembalance of up/rise?
Is this a joke? :dunno:
 
Actually, this is one of the concepts that I often ponder on.

We all know that warm air rises because the heat decreases its density. But if you heated a spot on a copper plate in a vacuum and measured the actual heat of the plate in various locations, would it really be hotter at the top than the bottom without the hot air carrying heat upwards? :idea:

And which way would it go in space with no air, gravity, or sembalance of up/rise?

There is a video of someone doing this, I do not remember the out come though.
 
Years ago, while in the lobby of a famous hotel that catered to the well to do, I overheard a new arrival looking out the huge windows at the mountains and utter this question:
"What do you think that mountain weighs?"

I stopped to for a second in order to hear the reply of the bell hop, and he replied: "Is that with or without the snow, sir?"

I thought the young lad dealt with this inane question in an apt manner!

Q
 
Actually, this is one of the concepts that I often ponder on.

We all know that warm air rises because the heat decreases its density. But if you heated a spot on a copper plate in a vacuum and measured the actual heat of the plate in various locations, would it really be hotter at the top than the bottom without the hot air carrying heat upwards? :idea:

And which way would it go in space with no air, gravity, or sembalance of up/rise?
Is this a joke? :dunno:
I have to assume this means you have the answer. If you do, would you share it?
 
There is a video of someone doing this, I do not remember the out come though.

the heat should spread evenly in a gradient depending on the distance from the heat source. The further away from the source, the colder it is. The spread of the gradient would depend on how conductive the medium around it is. In the vacuum of space it won't actually suck the heat away all that quickly since the only way to rid it is radiation. Eventually if you pump enough heat in, the whole thing will end up at the same temperature.
 
Years ago, while in the lobby of a famous hotel that catered to the well to do, I overheard a new arrival looking out the huge windows at the mountains and utter this question:
"What do you think that mountain weighs?"

I stopped to for a second in order to hear the reply of the bell hop, and he replied: "Is that with or without the snow, sir?"

I thought the young lad dealt with this inane question in an apt manner!

Q

I think it was a rhetorical question, not necessarily a stupid one.
 
I think it was a rhetorical question, not necessarily a stupid one.


To a degree, it might have been. Not sure?

There was more of a condescension in the voice of asking gent.

I thought it was rather stupid, as did the employee with his retort.

Q
 
Last edited:
I went into a stereo store (Ultimate electronics in Glendale, AZ) to get a fiber optic cable. The salesman showed me three cables. One was $39.99, another was $59.00 and the third was $79.99.

I asked what the differences were. He said he didn't know about the first two but the $79.99 cable had foil shielding to prevent electromagnetic interference.

Bonus, my day job is an Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer. :)
 
I went into a stereo store (Ultimate electronics in Glendale, AZ) to get a fiber optic cable. The salesman showed me three cables. One was $39.99, another was $59.00 and the third was $79.99.

I asked what the differences were. He said he didn't know about the first two but the $79.99 cable had foil shielding to prevent electromagnetic interference.

Bonus, my day job is an Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer. :)

You do not what those EMI's bending light while it is trying to get to your gears.
 
LOL

I told the guy that EMI could no more affect fiber optic than he could turn all of the systems in the sound room up full blast and push all of the light out of the room.

I asked him if he wanted to go get someone that knew what he was talking about. He ran.

The beginning was he asked me how long I wanted the cables. I told him I intended to keep them. He cocked his head like a dog that doesn't understand what is happening. I don't think he recovered from that.
 
the heat should spread evenly in a gradient depending on the distance from the heat source. The further away from the source, the colder it is. The spread of the gradient would depend on how conductive the medium around it is. In the vacuum of space it won't actually suck the heat away all that quickly since the only way to rid it is radiation. Eventually if you pump enough heat in, the whole thing will end up at the same temperature.
Yep. :thumbsup:
Actually, it wouldn't matter if you pumped in a lot of heat or a little - the temperature will even out eventually.
 
Last edited:
My MC 2105 doesn't meets specs as he was using a HP oscillator with over 2 % distortion tho check the amp. There was another guy. He said your speakers don't have any highs. I got out my spectrum analyzer and they were flat to 18,000 HZ . One guy said those Mac ML-4's don't have any real bass. Give me a break. The ML series were the first speakers to reach 16 hz without any difficulty. Another customer said he didn't like Mac amps because they sounded to smooth and blah. Some one else told me it took over 200 Hours to break in a set of speakers properly. You got to be kidding me. Its your rears and brain adjusting to the sound not the speakers. It just goes on and on. I want speakers that can handle at least 1000 watts. Or my system has 700 watts it must be better than this system with only 50 watts per channel. Its all about the watts!. Even see a guy driving a muscle car try to keep up with a Porsche 911. He can't.
 
Very little if anything that is a subjective opinion is dumb unless there is commercial motive involved. On the objective / technical side, wrong is always wrong.
 
Back
Top Bottom