• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dust cover for Thorens TD124

Register to hide this ad
You don't find a lot of photos of this turntable with a dustcover. I don't have one either.
In the Elpa brochure (available on theanalogdept.com), you can see on page 6 that a cabinet with cover was for sale: CAB-124.
 
Wouldn't it depend on what you're using for a plinth and tonearm? There's too many variations for a 'standard' dust cover.
 
Wouldn't it depend on what you're using for a plinth and tonearm? There's too many variations for a 'standard' dust cover.

Like this one over in the VinylEngine.com gallery? :)

image.php
 
Wouldn't it depend on what you're using for a plinth and tonearm? There's too many variations for a 'standard' dust cover.
Hadn't thought of that -- didn't know there were that many variations. I'll take a picture.
 
I'll bet you could buy one from the guy on the bay that sells clear aftermarket tops. I got one (with hinge pins and cutouts to tilt the cover back) for my TD 165. It was expensive but well worth it.
 
I'll bet you could buy one from the guy on the bay that sells clear aftermarket tops.
Didn't think of eBay. I bought one that will cover it and get the job done. Maybe when I get more funds I can get the one made for my Thorens one, but that's near $180 shipped.

And while I didn't get a picture, my plinth is an ordinary wooden base, about 17.25x14.24
 
I have found a rather homely option. I picked up an old BIC dust cover that fits over the TD-124 without hinges. This dust cover was designed to hang over the rear edge of the plinth so the rear edge was about 3/8 inch lower than the other three edges. I put masking tape on it to protect the finish and used my router table to cut the rear edge off even with the remaining 3 edges. However, the original hinges will no longer work because the hinge design shifts the dust cover back about 3/16 inch. Then the cover will not clear the front of the TD-124. I plan to scrounge around and see if I can find some different hinges that will work better.

Once I get it to fit properly with the hinges it will look OKish. It has a brown tint to it I'm not fond of. However, it was free so the price is right.

It will due until I find something better.

Also, I am in the process of modifying a Q-up for this table. I have run a few experiments and found a solution that should work. I plan to mount the Q-up between the right edge of the TD-124 and the SME-3009 tonearm I am using. It will be placed almost parallel to the tone arm when it is at rest. The difficulty with this plan is the arm cannot reach the release. I have experimented by scotch taping several shapes of onto the release to get the tone arm to release it. My experiments so far have shown that a 3/16 inc diameter cylinder will work. I have liquid steeled a small cylinder onto the release. Once it cures I can mount it and see our it works in practice.
 
There's a universal "platter" dustcover I've seen around that goes over your spindle, and has a shelf built in to go over the tonearm. That could work to protect the vitals, but wouldn't shield the deck itself from dust. May be worth looking into.

That 12 incher doesn't seem to be far enough away from the platter for proper alignment... I guess that's another thread.
 
a silk scarf

I've done this with a dozen different 50s turntables. I think it looks awesome, classy and is soooo cheap. Remember how people use to cover their furniture in unused homes with sheets? I get my scarfs from Goodwill. I have about 15-20 of them. They cost about 2-5 bucks each, and every time I find one that has a cool design, I just put it in a drawer and cycle it in and out.
 
When I built my first plinth for my TD124 I made an inlaid wood top that would be more accurately described as a top than a dust cover, but which served the same purpose. I found that I had to cut chunks out of it to allow clearance for the tonearm at the rear, which kind of ruined it for me. It kept the dust off, but hid the table, and was a pain to remove and replace, so I stopped using it. Now I've moved on to a different style plinth and have never considered a dust cover. But dust isn't really a problem for me; of course that can vary widely depending on your climate and surroundings.
 
I have found a rather homely option. I picked up an old BIC dust cover that fits over the TD-124 without hinges. This dust cover was designed to hang over the rear edge of the plinth so the rear edge was about 3/8 inch lower than the other three edges. I put masking tape on it to protect the finish and used my router table to cut the rear edge off even with the remaining 3 edges. However, the original hinges will no longer work because the hinge design shifts the dust cover back about 3/16 inch. Then the cover will not clear the front of the TD-124. I plan to scrounge around and see if I can find some different hinges that will work better.

Once I get it to fit properly with the hinges it will look OKish. It has a brown tint to it I'm not fond of. However, it was free so the price is right.

It will due until I find something better.

Also, I am in the process of modifying a Q-up for this table. I have run a few experiments and found a solution that should work. I plan to mount the Q-up between the right edge of the TD-124 and the SME-3009 tonearm I am using. It will be placed almost parallel to the tone arm when it is at rest. The difficulty with this plan is the arm cannot reach the release. I have experimented by scotch taping several shapes of onto the release to get the tone arm to release it. My experiments so far have shown that a 3/16 inc diameter cylinder will work. I have liquid steeled a small cylinder onto the release. Once it cures I can mount it and see our it works in practice.
Next installment:

I found some turntable dust cover hinges that work perfectly. I don't know what brand or model the hinges came off of. They look almost exactly like the BIC hinges except the moving part of the hinge is designed to shift the dust cover about 1/4 inch over the rear edge of the plinth. I installed them today and the dust cover works perfectly except:

I have it shifted a bit toward the right rather than centered. The reason is the dust cover comes down on my SME-3009 tone arm lift lever if it is centered and the lift lever is left up.

That's easy to live with until I can afford something customr.
 
Well there is a guy sellig a Dustcover that fits the original base and obviously also the wider ones, and it works for Thorens TD 124 121 135 134 and td 124 with special arms like SME, Ortofon etc in Switzerland
IMG_4145.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom