starting a thread to document an st-70 rebuild. I welcome all comments and advice. The intent is to generally refurb the unit to as close to stock as is cost effective and durable—I have read through the Gillespie baseline article and will most likely switch to SS rectifier per his recommendation, and replace the selenium rectifier, and probably use 6gh8a adapters in the 7199 sockets to keep cost down.
Thanks to @BillWojo for hooking me up with Kevin (whose handle I don’t know, but gave me a good deal on two st-70’s at the philly area meet) and CR for helping me out with the rebuild.
I’ve started a parts list, and I’d love some help verifying missing values.
I’d also love a link to a good thread on the selenium rectifier replacement.
If anyone had experience putting 6gh8a’s with adapters in place of 7199’s and can tell me if this is satisfying I’d also love to hear it.
So far, I’ve just cleaned up the rusty transformers in situ with rust converter and lacquer; before and after attached.
Parts list to follow.
Thanks to @BillWojo for hooking me up with Kevin (whose handle I don’t know, but gave me a good deal on two st-70’s at the philly area meet) and CR for helping me out with the rebuild.
I’ve started a parts list, and I’d love some help verifying missing values.
I’d also love a link to a good thread on the selenium rectifier replacement.
If anyone had experience putting 6gh8a’s with adapters in place of 7199’s and can tell me if this is satisfying I’d also love to hear it.
So far, I’ve just cleaned up the rusty transformers in situ with rust converter and lacquer; before and after attached.
Parts list to follow.
Attachments
Last edited:


