• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Effects of MC Loading

There was thread here on AK where a forum member had posted a plot of an Audio Technica LOMC cartridge (can't remember which model) at a load of 100R and 47k. The plots were identical except for a slight shift in level. Unfortunately, I doubt I'd be able to find it again.
 
There was thread here on AK where a forum member had posted a plot of an Audio Technica LOMC cartridge (can't remember which model) at a load of 100R and 47k. The plots were identical except for a slight shift in level. Unfortunately, I doubt I'd be able to find it again.
This post is from a couple of years ago but was brought up again a couple of months ago at SHF. Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?
 
This post is from a couple of years ago but was brought up again a couple of months ago at SHF. Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?
Yes, that's it - well done on finding it. :bowdown:
 
I pinged the abxtest.com owner again to see if there's an ETA. I'll work on getting an instance hosted here - just wasn't something I'd planned to do in the next few days.
 
I'm want to better understand some of the concepts regarding human hearing that are the basis for the listening tests. I found this NIH paper with lots of good information but I found this statement particularly interesting with regards to this discussion:

Sound Discrimination​

Over a range of frequencies (approximately 500 to 4000 Hz) and levels (approximately 35 to 80 dB SPL) in which humans are most sensitive, listeners can discriminate a change of about one decibel in sound level and about a half of a percent change in tonal frequency. For instance, a 50 dB SPL sound can be just discriminated from a 51 dB SPL sound, and a 2000 Hz tone can be just discriminated from a 2010 Hz tone.

So considering a threshold of 0.1dB or even 0.5dB seems very conservative. But I find it fascinating that a 0.5% shift in frequency can be heard. And that brings me to the process to level match the samples as described by @mr_petit with @JP 's concurrence:

I use the loudness normalisation option in audacity and then normalize it to a certan amount of LUFS on percieved loudness.

What exactly is Audacity doing in its loudness normalization? Could that process have any effect on the frequencies?
 
What exactly is Audacity doing in its loudness normalization? Could that process have any effect on the frequencies?
No, loudness normalization is purly a gain/reduction adjustment over the complete spectrum

Sound Discrimination
Over a range of frequencies (approximately 500 to 4000 Hz) and levels (approximately 35 to 80 dB SPL) in which humans are most sensitive, listeners can discriminate a change of about one decibel in sound level and about a half of a percent change in tonal frequency. For instance, a 50 dB SPL sound can be just discriminated from a 51 dB SPL sound, and a 2000 Hz tone can be just discriminated from a 2010 Hz tone.


So considering a threshold of 0.1dB or even 0.5dB seems very conservative.
You can play around with a sigal generator yourself and experience the small differences you can distinguish.
It totally depends on the situation. If you switch back and forth, you can easily distinguish differences much smaller than 1dB, but if you go and get groceries inbetween and listen again, you couldn't distinguish 10dB of difference.
So if the setup of the test is like: "if you think the next tone is louder than the previous tone.....press 1, If you think the next tone is quieter than the previous tone....press 2......beep", then yes, that 1dB is probably very correct. Acoustic memory is very short.
It may also depend on the type of signal. Are we talking here about sine tones, or a more complex signal like a piece of music or a conversation?
 
Last edited:
No, loudness normalization is purly a gain/reduction adjustment over the complete spectrum


You can play around with a sigal generator yourself and experience the small differences you can distinguish.
It totally depends on the situation. If you switch back and forth, you can easily distinguish differences much smaller than 1dB, but if you go and get groceries inbetween and listen again, you couldn't distinguish 10dB of difference.
So if the setup of the test is like: "if you think the next tone is louder than the previous tone.....press 1, If you think the next tone is quieter than the previous tone....press 2......beep", then yes, that 1dB is probably very correct. Acoustic memory is very short.

Thanks for the link. I didn't see it noted but do you think the sample rate for the loudness normalization is the same as file's sample rate?
 
but do you think the sample rate for the loudness normalization is the same as file's sample rate?
I don't know exactly what you mean by this.
It calculates percieved loudness from the samples selected and then adjusts it to the desired value.
The adjustment is a simple gain adjustment over the complete selected audio. There's no change of samplerate.
The gain adjustment is the same for every sample, every frequency.
How it handles stereo or mono tracks and what the options are, are explained in the link.
 
Last edited:
I don't know exactly what you mean by this.

I could be way off on all this but again from the NIH paper:

The thresholds for detecting a tonal sound increase as the duration of the sound to be detected decreases at durations shorter than 500 ms, but remain approximately constant as the duration increases above 500 ms.

The conclusion of all this is that a change in loudness is perceived as tonal differences when making granular changes in MC loading but if the loudness is constant then different MC loadings can't be discerned. If Audacity is adjusting the gain using 1/2 second intervals of data to determine the adjustment could it impact the perceived frequencies? If Audacity is adjusting the gain at the sample rate of the digital file then there would be no issue. I'm wondering if Audacity's algorithm to make the loudness change might inadvertently "homogenize" the perceived frequencies in the sample recordings resulting in the conclusion that loading does not matter.
 
(...) listeners can discriminate a change of about one decibel in sound level and about a half of a percent change in tonal frequency.

Btw, there's a convenient online test, whether you actually can discriminate +/- 1 dB differences - see there: https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php?lvl=1 At my notebook I can only very reliable discriminate +1 dB, listening via its integrated speakers and at comparatively low volume, though - whereas telling flat from -1 dB is more like guesswork for me. Unfortunately the next easier step, that online test offers, is for +/- 3 dB, which is too easy.

Well and regarding those 0.5 % in frequency, I've checked that with this online tone generator: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ Result: Yup, 0.5 % work for me - in either direction.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom