• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ELECTROCOMPANIENT

So, after having given my ears some rest, I decided to go all in. I purchased a McIntosh MXA70 integrated mini-system along w a McIntosh MCT80 Cd Transport. The #1 idea being, small speakers but great sound. The #2 idea being..holy crap, it's McIntosh! So far, my ears seem to be enjoying the sound. Have had it for a few days, so just getting used to things. Initially, I thought the sound was a bit "smaller". But, as the hours have gone on, it is starting to sound fuller by the second. the best part is, I don't seem to be having major ear ringing with it...must remind myself to watch the volume, but maybe, just maybe, I have finally found the dream hi-fi system that will take me into old age. Fingers crossed! :-)
 
So, after having given my ears some rest, I decided to go all in. I purchased a McIntosh MXA70 integrated mini-system along w a McIntosh MCT80 Cd Transport. The #1 idea being, small speakers but great sound. The #2 idea being..holy crap, it's McIntosh! So far, my ears seem to be enjoying the sound. Have had it for a few days, so just getting used to things. Initially, I thought the sound was a bit "smaller". But, as the hours have gone on, it is starting to sound fuller by the second. the best part is, I don't seem to be having major ear ringing with it...must remind myself to watch the volume, but maybe, just maybe, I have finally found the dream hi-fi system that will take me into old age. Fingers crossed! :)
Congratulations, hope this one finally does it for you so you can sit back and enjoy the music .

Audiofreak71
 
Thanks man...just listened for a few hours...enjoyed it very much, sounded great and ears seemed to tolerate reasonably well. I am hopeful that this is my system. It certainly wan't cheap! ;-)
 
My, my I just started doing some research on Integrated amps. Trying to trace your journey with Hi-Fi has not been easy. Quite often you seemed content. But then there was always something new to try. I'm not so sure about those McIntosh units, not a single WOW.:D
Anyway my search is a bit more basic than yours and I'm quite a cheap-skate (nothing over $700). I looked up the NAD 3045 unit you mentioned and saw that it had very little in the way of Analog input. I'd like to have at least 3 analog inputs. But I am very interested in the Rotel A12. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed that you had little to say against the A12. But it seemed you knew it wasn't the end of your search.
Best Wishes.
 
My, my I just started doing some research on Integrated amps. Trying to trace your journey with Hi-Fi has not been easy. Quite often you seemed content. But then there was always something new to try. I'm not so sure about those McIntosh units, not a single WOW.:D
Anyway my search is a bit more basic than yours and I'm quite a cheap-skate (nothing over $700). I looked up the NAD 3045 unit you mentioned and saw that it had very little in the way of Analog input. I'd like to have at least 3 analog inputs. But I am very interested in the Rotel A12. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed that you had little to say against the A12. But it seemed you knew it wasn't the end of your search.
Best Wishes.
Yeah, thanks Bob. As I've mentioned, I am an aspiring audiophile with some health challenges. So, my journey has been to attempt to find the best possible sound that my ears can tolerate. You are right to say that at times I have been "content". And then, the upgrade bug bites and I start the search all over again. With that said, my most recent health issues have been the worst ever and have taken my ear problems to a whole new level. It appears, that at least for the foreseeable future, I am simply not going to be able to handle full scale hi-fi any longer. Luckily, I am a bookshelf speaker fan to begin with, so the process now is to find smallish speakers that may ever so slightly upgrade form the speakers that came w the McIntosh MXA70. Whether there have been any WOWS or not, this little unit sounds amazing and so far, my ears are doing fine w it. I cannot imagine being able to obtain better sound that I can handle. So, I am sticking with this one and may try a few pairs of speakers to see if I can get an ever so slightly bigger/fuller sound...if not, I am happy with this. After all, it IS a McIntosh and SHOULD garner WOWS. It certainly is from me! ;-)
As for the NAD 3045 and the Rotel A12... the A12 is a very good sounding integrated amplifier...it's strengths are sound staging, detailed, but never harsh, and a strong, full-bodied sound. However, the 3045 sounds WAAAYYY better...if you haven't seen my ravings on this little amp, let me state clearly, that it is the very best sounding entry-level integrated amplifier I have ever heard...bar none. It really is that good.
 
btw the little McIntosh MXA70 speakers are really great sounding, but they only go down to 60. Hence, the search for still smallish bookshelves with just a bit more bass. One caveat, the MXA is rated 50 watts at 8 ohms only. So, certainly no 4 ohm speakers and so far, I have been passing over the 6 ohm choices. I am going to try the little Monitor Audio Monitor 50 speakers to see if they fit the bill. If not, I would appreciate any suggestions...I was looking at the Audience Ones, that are well-reviewed, but I'm guessing I would need a sub w those..which is a no go for my jacked up ears. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
Received the Monitor Audio Monitor 50's this morning. They are shockingly small, but man, so far, they sound quite nice. Very balanced...not bright, but certainly present on top, decent bass for their size. These very well might work. I think they sound slightly less detailed than the speakers that came w the MXA70, but they do have a fuller overall sound partially because they have a bit more low end. I am enjoying listening to them in my system right now. :-)

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/monitor/monitor-50/
 
I could w this unit, but honestly, right now I am feeling pretty satisfied w the sound from the Monitor 50's. If I was to get a sub, it would have to be a tiny one...to match the size of the speakers.
 
I could w this unit, but honestly, right now I am feeling pretty satisfied w the sound from the Monitor 50's. If I was to get a sub, it would have to be a tiny one...to match the size of the speakers.
Plenty of very good 8in subs that are both small and will give you the low end you need . Rel Is a good sub to look at.

Audiofreak71
 
Man, I must say, it has been a while since I was able to sit for hours and listen to music on my "nice" system without ear problems. I must have listened for three to four hours on/off yesterday at moderate volume and I felt fine all day. The Monitor Audio speakers really do sound nice. Looking forward to spending quality time with them over the weekend. :-)
 
Still very happy w my new system. The McIntosh/Monitor Audio pairing is a very nice match. I still may investigate a small sub at some point, but I am quite happy without one right now. Sure, the older/thinner sounding Cds from the mid-80s do sound thin, but the amp does have a bass boost if needed.
 
I have decided that I am going to give the Monitor Audio 50's bigger brother, the 100 a go to match w my McIntosh system. Rather than try to implement a subwoofer, I think this will give me enough bass. Since I already like the sound, I think it's reasonable choice. They go down to 44 which should be enough for my small/medium room (den).
 
So...nope...it's gonna be the 50's...IDK...I am sure it is my ears, but the little 50's sound musical, balanced, and fun. the 100's sound slow and plodding...sticking w the 50's...so...perhaps I will consider a sub...shoot..maybe I won't! :-)
 
So...nope...it's gonna be the 50's...IDK...I am sure it is my ears, but the little 50's sound musical, balanced, and fun. the 100's sound slow and plodding...sticking w the 50's...so...perhaps I will consider a sub...shoot..maybe I won't! :)
Did you give them a chance to break in? Most of the time speakers don’t come into there true Signature sound until there broken in properly.

Audiofreak71
 
No. I've only had them for a week and listened for a few hours each night,,,but switching between the 100's and 50's, I like the sound of the 50's much more. The 50's are punchy, clear, w really nice sound staging. The 100's sound dull, lifeless, bloated, and bland. Not sure whether they just don't mate w my amp or what. Going to give them a few more tries, but I think the 50's are the winner. So now I have to pivot back to whether or not I want to mess w a sub or not.
I was looking at the Cambridge Audio Minx 201...small sub...it has good reviews and looks to be the profile I am looking for. Not sure about a sub though...
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779X201B/Cambridge-Audio-Minx-X201-Black.html
 
Hmm..went and got the Polk S15 bookshelf speakers out of the closet. They sound better than the Monitor 50s and have more bass. I may keep them in the mix.
 
Back
Top Bottom