• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Empire Thread of Inductance & Resistance for 2000 style bodies

And now, I realize some of our conversations would be better in the big Empire thread as they are more general in nature and have little or nothing to do with the DCR or inductance of the cartridges which was the intent of this thread.

Doug

This is a nice little sidetrack to the big thread. I’m glad it’s here and in the big picture I think matching the inductance to the correct stylus for a proper voiced setup is still in line with setting up the vta etc. for proper reproduction. It’s all good.​
 
Well, did it work fine?

The BC One stylus did indeed work very fine on the 2000E III. Actually I preferred it over the original. It took some of the upper edge off the 2000E III.
I also tried it on my 4000D III. Great separation and bass on both carts, but the BC One stylus did diminish the "detail" of both........But not in a bad way.
I was surprised how good it sounded on the 4000D III, but knowing Empire.........I wasn't "overly" surprised, :)

ps.....My current system is in a great room with vaulted ceilings,no curtains,carpet or furniture.

It's almost like listening to your stereo in a large bathroom. (temporary arrangement, while dedicated sound room is being constructed)

Soooooo, your mileage may vary greatly.......
 
Last edited:
Can't fault the 1000 Z/EX , been re-evaluating it on my new set-ups , just a great performer

I just picked up NOS S1000ZE/X-ERD stylus for my 1000ZE/X. And to me, it is absolutely one of the best sounding Empire cartridges I've ever heard........bar none. On some pressings, I believe it out shines the 2000Z and even the 4000 D/III . Just one man's opinion of course.........
 
I just picked up NOS S1000ZE/X-ERD stylus for my 1000ZE/X. And to me, it is absolutely one of the best sounding Empire cartridges I've ever heard........bar none. On some pressings, I believe it out shines the 2000Z and even the 4000 D/III . Just one man's opinion of course.........
Yeah its pretty impressive, had my Townsend MC on , swapped to the Z/EX with a low end after market stylus. And thought, sounds great, plugged into my other Amp , definitely great. Was just going to try out some, albums I never got around to playing, second hand ones . Gives the moving coil a good run for its money.
 
I have a note in my photo archive that reported measurements for one 888 VE were 500mH, 630Ω. Not out of line for an 888, but let's see what you come up with.
 
I have a note in my photo archive that reported measurements for one 888 VE were 500mH, 630Ω. Not out of line for an 888, but let's see what you come up with.
I'll check it soon, have to see if i've got any others that haven't been posted yet.
 
Again, it's always good to have a high-inductance version of a body handy, assuming one exists, in case you get an aftermarket stylus that's trebly but otherwise capable.
 
Back
Top Bottom