• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EPI 601's

MeatInStereo

Can outrun 80% of snakes
EPI 601's no sounds out of the front of one of the speakers.

Good morning all. I just got some EPI 601 speakers and I am in awe. Best 100 bucks ever spent.They sound amazing....I am hearing songs l have listened to hundreds of times for the first time and hearing things I never heard before. The right speaker sings.....the left speaker has nothing coming out of the fronts. I flipped the switch on the back...nothing. Any idea's on how to take these apart to get a look see?

Meat
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yeah I think it is switch related as well. On the speaker that works the switches make the back speakers change their tonal quality....the one that doesn't work nothing....the back work but the front dont come on nor do the backs that back change in tonal quality either. I flipped the switch a coupl eof hundred times and turns that tweeter knob as well....kinda feel dumb hoping one of the flips will make it work lol!
 
Deoxit is your friend! It's time to pull a front woofer and have look inside. Could be a loose wire, dirty contacts in the switches or dead rats in there. Bottom line is you got some killer speakers for next to nothing and they are gonna need a little TLC to make them sing as new. Just take your time and ask plenty of questions as you go. The 601's are pretty rare and you did very well.

Dave
 
Thanks, so you think the cloth grills come off the front? I tried to pry one out but it didn't really budge.

I am still listening to them....they are ....wow is the best way to describe....and one isnt even working properly.

The guy I got them from was really nice. He knew they were worth a lot more then 100 bucks.

He has a Phase Linear 400 amp in the cabinet and said he would call me if he wanted to sell that with his dynaco fm tuner.
 
Thanks, so you think the cloth grills come off the front? I tried to pry one out but it didn't really budge.
As I've never had the privilege of owning a pair, I really don't know. I would just imagine that the grills are removable in some fashion. If not held on with Velcro, look around the edge of the grills carefully and see if they may be held in place with staples or brads. A fairly dull and flexible putty knife may be of use here. Just be careful to not score the cabinet edges.

Dave
 
This is Mike's wife...He is jumping up and down running around acting like a little kid beccause he's so happy that the putty knife worked. He says He loves you!
 
:lmao:

Hi Mike's wife:

I'm happy it worked and I hope you are as pleased as Mike with his incredible purchase. Your husband did very, very well for himself. And, I hope you are pleased with the way they look and sound.

Dave
 
Hmm, just noticed this ...

You guys are in Canton, OH and my wife and I are in Canton, CT.

Coincidence? You decide! ;) Welcome to the AudioKarma family!!!

Dave
 
BTW:

Be sure and take some pics as you go. Post them up here and we can help you find your way through the refurbishment. There are a lot of us that have worked our way through EPI speakers, myself included. Mr. Burhoe's loudpeaker formula is well loved and documented here, even though I think you may well be the first 601 owner among us. Congrats.

Dave
 
BTW:

Be sure and take some pics as you go. Post them up here and we can help you find your way through the refurbishment. There are a lot of us that have worked our way through EPI speakers, myself included. Mr. Burhoe's loudpeaker formula is well loved and documented here, even though I think you may well be the first 601 owner among us. Congrats.

Dave

+1.

:worthless
 
I will do so! I am going to get some Deoxit. I pulled out the woofer and the tweetrr on the side-backand pulled out all of the insulation. I see the crossover and the wires all leadding to the back of the speakers. Everything looks connected so I know it has to be the switch and the treble knob. Hard to believe oxidation would totally disable the sound. I will take some pics and post them up soon. I will def need help.

As for the amp...He said the "Flame Linear" haha... did have service before.

I have a couple of amps I can hook them up to. I was thinking a NAD 7240PE, NAD 7100PE Monitor series, or the NAD 7600PE Monitor series. The 7240PE has 40wpc, the 7100PE is 60wpc and the 7600PE is 150wpc. all have +6db headroom so they put out a lot more power then those ratings. the sound of these amps are very clean....thats why I have 3 of them :)

I probably need to keep the 7600PE for the Dahlquist DQ-10's...those are power hungry. Which i am also refoaming tonight as well.

First one? Wow...I guess these are a find. I thought they were just another vintage speaker.

Thanks again for the putty knife trick...it was very very strong velcro.

After i have them running ( hopefully tonight after a deoxit bath) the wood needs some care. i was thinking about sand and restain with the original color. The cabs are about a 7 out 10 for as old as these speakers are.

Meat
 
... Hard to believe oxidation would totally disable the sound.
Hey Mike:

You'd be astonished what oxidation can and will do to electronics. Just fire a couple of brief shots into the switch and work it back and forth 40-50 times (Don't ham-hand the thing. It is, after all, damn near as old as me!). Just work it back and forth slowly. Do the same for the tweeter attenuation pot. On each, you should be able to find a smallish hole to fire into to. Don't drench the things, a little bit goes a long way.

After i have them running ( hopefully tonight after a deoxit bath) the wood needs some care. i was thinking about sand and restain with the original color. The cabs are about a 7 out 10 for as old as these speakers are.
Take some pics of the cabs, you may not need to go that far. Those older EPI/Epicure cabinets have some really decent veneer on them. Usually, some steel wool with some Howard Restor-A-Finish is as about as radical as you need to go. Sometimes, just an application of Howard Feed-N-Wax is all you need. You can find both at your local big box store.

Congrats again on a wonderful score!

Dave
 
... I have a couple of amps I can hook them up to. I was thinking a NAD 7240PE, NAD 7100PE Monitor series, or the NAD 7600PE Monitor series. The 7240PE has 40wpc, the 7100PE is 60wpc and the 7600PE is 150wpc. all have +6db headroom so they put out a lot more power then those ratings. the sound of these amps are very clean....thats why I have 3 of them :)
Yep, definitely keep the big guns for the Dahlquists as they really need it. Either of the other 2 will be adequate for the EPI's. Even though they are a sealed box, I think you'll find the 601's are fairly efficient due to their pretty simple crossover.

Dave
 
Since you have them open, do you have or can you borrow a DMM and see if the drivers are open :scratch2:
 
I "Deoxit"d and no luck....I put 5 coats on every contact on the crossover and also on the knob and switch working them back and forth over 100 times...still no fronts. Itook out the fronts and they are connected to the wires. Whether or not the wires are correct is another question, but how woudl they be hooked up wrong if they worked before?

In better new the Dahlquist are now refoamed.

Any ideas of the EPI's?
 
Take the wires off the non-working woofer and tweeter. Use multimeter across + and - driver terminals. If they are wroking you'll get something like 5-6 ohm reading. If they are open and it reads infinity - they are toast.

Should be easy enough to get replacements. Be careful with Humanspeakers if you choose to go there. I've been waiting since mid November to get refund for order never filled. Huw seems like a nice guy but reliable he's not :no:
 
Congratulations on the Epi 601 pair, Meat! I recently got a pair of A120 Epis up and running. The Epi fan base is pretty big here at AK, and if you follow all of the way through and get yours fully working again, you'll never lack for support and help. Pictures are very helpful, if you get the chance. Plus, we want to see a pair of the 601's!
 
Back
Top Bottom