• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

ESS amt 1a Bookshelf speakers: bypass circuit breaker?

I probably should replace my diaphragms, if for nothing but to answer the question in my head: Much like me, do they degrade with age?
Sure why not-and get those Evo Oil's in before the start growing roots, or have 10 lbs of dust on them!
Your ears will thank you.
Audyn 33uf_LI 2.jpg
King Dome.jpg
6AE7EA53-C07A-4A13-B642-DA185EEF829F.jpeg
2FA32BDA-3927-4500-8EE9-991C7F339A60.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I had 3.3 mfd Aerovox (250 volt) on my Great Heils and I changed them to 3.3 mfd ClarityCaps (630 volt). The ClarityCaps sound duller and less lively (I actually added a 0.1 as a by-pass to get some liveliness back) and I'll probably go back to the Aerovox at some point, at least for A/B now that the ClarityCaps have had 100s of hours on them for a thourough break-in.
 
I had 3.3 mfd Aerovox (250 volt) on my Great Heils and I changed them to 3.3 mfd ClarityCaps (630 volt). The ClarityCaps sound duller and less lively (I actually added a 0.1 as a by-pass to get some liveliness back) and I'll probably go back to the Aerovox at some point, at least for A/B now that the ClarityCaps have had 100s of hours on them for a thourough break-in.
Bypass caps on film caps usually result in weird artifacts-which is what your hearing I imagine.
My experience also with Heils and Clairty caps-overly warm and a bit dull.
Better off going with a Evo Oil, or Evo/Superior Z combo
 
Bypass caps on film caps usually result in weird artifacts-which is what your hearing I imagine.

No, the by-pass helped bring a bit of life to the ClarityCaps which I don't consider to be a weird artifact, but in fact the intent of by-pass caps. Anyway. at this point the by-pass caps have been removed now that the Claritys have had plenty of break-in, so the comparison would be fair.
 
I also have some really nice "oil can" caps (talk about BIG), but never really heard a difference when using similar value film caps.
 
No, the by-pass helped bring a bit of life to the ClarityCaps which I don't consider to be a weird artifact, but in fact the intent of by-pass caps. Anyway. at this point the by-pass caps have been removed now that the Claritys have had plenty of break-in, so the comparison would be fair.
Sure, whatever works-as mentioned IMHO Clarity's aren't the best match for the Heil.
But if your running a mid-fi SS system/receiver-maybe.
The Evo oils aren't really a typical oil can cap-the material is oil impregnated.
They are a excellent bargain for Great Heil speakers-and easy to find space for due to their size/shape.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
If it takes something more than Yamaha's TOTL EVER $4,500 receiver in Pure Direct mode on both the Yamaha and OPPO to hear a difference, I doubt whether it would make a difference to the OP. :rolleyes:
 
If it takes something more than Yamaha's TOTL EVER $4,500 receiver in Pure Direct mode on both the Yamaha and OPPO to hear a difference, I doubt whether it would make a difference to the OP. :rolleyes:
I rest my case.....:idea:
 
This breaker here protects the entire system, not just the Heil. The breaker in the OPs system protects the whole system, not just the Heil. A one amp fast blow. Sure that will work, but he will pop it prematurely. If he was going to fuse just the Heil, yeah a one amp fast blow. Since he has the 1A Bookshelf. it won't be so easy to mount an accessable fuseholder just for the Heil, but it could be done.
I am looking at the schematics on the ESS website. I am trying to figure out the amp rating of the breaker for the 1A bookshelf. its either 1.5 A or 4.5 A. I would think 4.5 is too high. Maybe someone can expand the view.
Looking at the crossover Will posted-the fuse is a 2 amp, so I'm thinking the breaker has the same rating.
Even so-unless you driving them hard continuously-you should be fine.
And that's the problem with ESS speakers-they play so clean, low distortion-especially when compared to most speakers of the day-you don't realize your over driving them till something is damaged.
The nice thing about the fuse is a quick swap-vs a old breaker that decides not to reset!
 
Last edited:
I ordered a pair. If they make a difference, I'll be back to answer a question that i don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer to here. I suspect that my present diaphragms may be getting a bit anemic, but it could also be the industrial hearing loss, although the domes upstairs do have a noticeably higher level of tweet, just not as smooth.

NewDiaphragm.JPG
 
I ordered a pair. If they make a difference, I'll be back to answer a question that i don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer to here. I suspect that my present diaphragms may be getting a bit anemic, but it could also be the industrial hearing loss, although the domes upstairs do have a noticeably higher level of tweet, just not as smooth.

View attachment 1946681
Nice!
Well the new ones definitely have more output then the older ones-even the "good one" not down to DB. I turned the brightness down to soft.
The 40hm L-pads coming will be nice for a finer fine tuning.
Sounding "better" well that's hard to say-when you down a db of 2 everything sounds different.
 
I ordered a pair. If they make a difference, I'll be back to answer a question that i don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer to here. I suspect that my present diaphragms may be getting a bit anemic, but it could also be the industrial hearing loss, although the domes upstairs do have a noticeably higher level of tweet, just not as smooth.

View attachment 1946681

Do you have resources to test the difference in one way or another (e.g., CLEO, RTA, etc.), or will this be seat of the pants?
 
Ha!
Will, you better make a video to please Don’t Be Such A Todd!
FYI your ears are probably lying
Just ask Ethel Merman!!:bowdown:
 
Last edited:
automojo, I am assuming you are not a fan of the Audyn Q4 Series capacitors!
Well I didn't like them in my AMT3's.
Doesn't mean they are bad-just not the best in that application.
The brightness goes away-but they seemed a little flat sounding.
I'm fairy sure Will uses them-and doesn't seem to have a problem.
IMHO he doesn't know what he is missing!
However-he will (hopefully!) soon be using the Mundorfs-and be a better judge-since he has lived with the Audyn's for awhile.
Sorry for extra garbage in your thread-interested in you rebuild-and will keep thing focused in the future-thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom