• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ESS AMT-3 replacement woofer candidates

Picked up a set of AMT 3 speakers last week in an auction. $77 out the door, can't beat it. I've been reading all the forum pages on this topic I could and have decided to replace all my woofers and mids since none are original. I believe I'm going to go with the DS270-8 for the woofers and the Tymphany 5-1/4" mid since my speakers have the smaller tube. I'm not very well versed in electronics and crossovers so going to have a friend do a rebuild/freshen up both of them. Thinking about replacing the OEM stuffing with egg crate to clean it up and make it look nicer and probably sound better. Any other suggestions from the group or the mighty AUTOMOJO I should consider. Thanks guys.
 
Picked up a set of AMT 3 speakers last week in an auction. $77 out the door, can't beat it. I've been reading all the forum pages on this topic I could and have decided to replace all my woofers and mids since none are original. I believe I'm going to go with the DS270-8 for the woofers and the Tymphany 5-1/4" mid since my speakers have the smaller tube. I'm not very well versed in electronics and crossovers so going to have a friend do a rebuild/freshen up both of them. Thinking about replacing the OEM stuffing with egg crate to clean it up and make it look nicer and probably sound better. Any other suggestions from the group or the mighty AUTOMOJO I should consider. Thanks guys.
Sure.
If your going sealed-dump the stuffing for sure.
IMHO the DS270-8 is like the older version-works out better sealed-plus with dual woofers you get a 3db bump in output anyway.
As far as caps-IMHO I would do the Jatzen Z/Evo Al Oil 1/3-2/3 mix.
The bass caps-regular Jatzen's cross caps.
Make sure you add the compensation network for the Heil as well.
.0065mh coil, and 22 ohm 10 watt between the l-pad and the Heil.
So you also need 2x 4ohm lpads-and 2x 8 ohm l-pads for the mids.
I you can't spluge on the caps-frankly just go with regular electrolytic's.
They will sound better the a Dayton/Bennic entry level.
 
Picked up a set of AMT 3 speakers last week in an auction. $77 out the door, can't beat it. I've been reading all the forum pages on this topic I could and have decided to replace all my woofers and mids since none are original. I believe I'm going to go with the DS270-8 for the woofers and the Tymphany 5-1/4" mid since my speakers have the smaller tube. I'm not very well versed in electronics and crossovers so going to have a friend do a rebuild/freshen up both of them. Thinking about replacing the OEM stuffing with egg crate to clean it up and make it look nicer and probably sound better. Any other suggestions from the group or the mighty AUTOMOJO I should consider. Thanks guys.
Source for coil
 
I’ll check my capacitors. I ended up doing the 1/3 2/3 mix. For the mid and the Heil.
2/3 Evo oil
1/3 Superior Z Video
Let me know about the 4ohm L-pads and caps and $ price also going to be doing acoustic foam tomorrow 1 1/2" side walls 2 1/2 back wall , do I do the front panel " and shelf panel ? should the mid chamber be done in foam or just felt ? thanks bill
 
Let me know about the 4ohm L-pads and caps and $ price also going to be doing acoustic foam tomorrow 1 1/2" side walls 2 1/2 back wall , do I do the front panel " and shelf panel ? should the mid chamber be done in foam or just felt ? thanks bill
I would stuff the mid chamber. No foam on the front-tops/bottoms of shelves-yes.
$35 ea l-pads.100 watt
I will need time to look at the caps
Thanks
 
One thing with the caps for the Heil and mid, you don’t want them to emphasize “t” or “s” sounds.
The comp board helps this as well.
 
Playing around on the parts express website and saw Dayton has an aluminum cone version of the DS270-8 (DSA270-8). Is it worth the extra $10 bucks to go with them over the paper cone version. Right now its $87.98 for the DS and it's $99.98 for the DSA.
 
Either is fine. Paper cones don't have the resonance peak al cones have-but when used in the AMT3 they cover a small range.
 
I'm ready to purchase the 1/8" felt pad
What type of felt and were the best place to purchase it ?
I have all the T-nuts installed foam cut and fitted now need to do the felt
thanks
 
I'm ready to purchase the 1/8" felt pad
What type of felt and were the best place to purchase it ?
I have all the T-nuts installed foam cut and fitted now need to do the felt
thanks
Usually Amazon-or a fabric store-possibly Walmart
 
OF COURSE. On the PE site and putting together my cart for my order and the Tymphany 5-1/4" mids are out of stock and back ordered for 90-120 days! Does anyone have any other mid suggestions than the Alpha 6 because my baffle tube is the 5" type so the larger Alpha or Beta 6 won't fit. Thanks guys
 
Or make a box like Porklion for the Alpha 6A is another possibility.
One may also be able to find a tube from Unline/etc.
 
Just realized there are two different Tymphany 5-1/4" drivers. 830656 paper cone SDS woofer, and NE149W-08 fiber cone woofer. I'm guessing the one that everyone uses is the second one which is on backorder, but I just wanted to check.
 
Just realized there are two different Tymphany 5-1/4" drivers. 830656 paper cone SDS woofer, and NE149W-08 fiber cone woofer. I'm guessing the one that everyone uses is the second one which is on backorder, but I just wanted to check.
 
Just realized there are two different Tymphany 5-1/4" drivers. 830656 paper cone SDS woofer, and NE149W-08 fiber cone woofer. I'm guessing the one that everyone uses is the second one which is on backorder, but I just wanted to check.
 
The Cleston has a smooth response and decent enough impedance curve.
Not sure on the Pyle-but frankly they do make some transducers that can sound pretty darn good-esp for the price.
And frankly they only have to sound good in a narrow range 250-1k 12db
The stock ESS mid driver was really nothing special-but sounded good-good enough.
You want the output roughly around that of the Great Heil-91 db or so with the compensation network.
 
Opps.
The mid covers the narrow range of 250hz-1khz 12db/octave slope.
The biggest quality of the Alpha is a good off/axis response.
The others-I have no clue-but the ESS driver was nothing super special.
 
Getting ready to put together the crossover parts list
coils / 2 2.4 MH
4 .83 MH
caps 4 51.5 Mfd
4 33 Mfd
L-pad 2 4ohm
2 8 ohm
resistors 2 2ohm 10w
does the 4ohm L-pad replace the Heil rotary switch and the 1ohm 2ohm 10ohm resistors ?
and the 8ohm l-pad is for the mid 6A ?
 
Back
Top Bottom