• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ESS AMT-3 replacement woofer candidates

it was a restock sale and the ones you used has been discontinued so the selection is shrinking
I talked to partsexpress guys at Axpona 2023 and they mentioned their Taiwan supplier was contemplating discontinuing some reference series drivers. Guess they made good on their threat. I did see new drivers being offered by PE perhaps it’s time to look at them. Did you considered the dsa series’ 6.5” drivers instead of the eminence? Make it all aluminum drivers to go with the great Heil.
I'm committed to using the DSA already bought. if it doesn't transition to the 6A was looking at Zaph audio Za5 aluminum cone full range ? the 6As is a small $ investment so changing it wouldn't be out of question. as for the bass enclosure need to get 2 cft sealed or 3.5 ported with F3 37 hz.
so sealed or ported ??
I know a number of experienced AMT3 owners recommended sealed. However you can optimized for port response and simply plug the port and have the best of both worlds. You are stuck with a set internal volume anyway.
 
I talked to partsexpress guys at Axpona 2023 and they mentioned their Taiwan supplier was contemplating discontinuing some reference series drivers. Guess they made good on their threat. I did see new drivers being offered by PE perhaps it’s time to look at them. Did you considered the dsa series’ 6.5” drivers instead of the eminence? Make it all aluminum drivers to go with the great Heil.

I know a number of experienced AMT3 owners recommended sealed. However you can optimized for port response and simply plug the port and have the best of both worlds. You are stuck with a set internal volume anyway.
Would you know what the baffle layout is for the rock monitors I need the center to center distances between the midrange and woofer . thanks
 
Im finishing up building the speaker cabinets , I ended up with a pyramid shape it measures 19x20 square at the base and 10x11 square at the top x32" tall . This works out to 3.5 cu ft bass and 410 cu in for mid . also have 2x3 x6 ports loaded on back side . I used 2 layers of 1/2" partial board that gives me 1" wall thickness the AMT sits on top like the amtb ,
 
Yeah, it’s too bad. They keep messing with the line.
Reference series
It’s not like they’re making any sonic breakthrough. They’re just screwing with things.
The old DA-270-8 we’re simply the value king for clean low bass response.
I’ll put these woofers up against any JBL, Altec, what have you, not only in the extension but how low distortion they are.
Those were great drivers back in the day,
But these days, Dayton makes a lot of great woofers that are simply better sounding and you’re not gonna overpay for some old woofer.
I think I paid around 50 some dollars apiece at the time
Curious, what are your crossover frequencies?
IMHO the lower you cross it over the easier it is to integrate with your other drivers.
That way you get the full Heil benifits.
Also, are you using a compensation network on the Heil?
I thought that was a given….064MH, 22 ohm 20 watt in series.
 
Yeah, it’s too bad. They keep messing with the line.
Reference series
It’s not like they’re making any sonic breakthrough. They’re just screwing with things.
The old DA-270-8 we’re simply the value king for clean low bass response.
I’ll put these woofers up against any JBL, Altec, what have you, not only in the extension but how low distortion they are.
Those were great drivers back in the day,
But these days, Dayton makes a lot of great woofers that are simply better sounding and you’re not gonna overpay for some old woofer.
I think I paid around 50 some dollars apiece at the time
Curious, what are your crossover frequencies?
IMHO the lower you cross it over the easier it is to integrate with your other drivers.
That way you get the full Heil benifits.
Also, are you using a compensation network on the Heil?
I thought that was a given….064MH, 22 ohm 20 watt in series.
Parts express showed some new drivers at the axpona without dust caps that looked interesting but I can’t seem to find them in their catalog.
 
Parts express showed some new drivers at the axpona without dust caps that looked interesting but I can’t seem to find them in their catalog.
Sure.
The DA-270-8 were in their catalog for a long time. They silver cones are a bit dated-they could have gone black and left the rest alone. For the price-and if your using them in a 3 way-due to upper end cone break up-these are simply hard to beat. The simply sound stunning. and match up well with the Alpha 6a. These were on EBay for some time for around $119ea. Too high IMHO the Reference Al cone would come close enough IMHO.
 
I have the cabinets roughed in all the holes router for all the speakers and ports and bi amp terminal connector . waiting for hurricane nuts and bolt from PE and 11/2 egg creat foam and 2 1/2" foam from the foam factory . I'm hoping to pick your brains for the crossover layout i'm sure i'll need some help there ! I'll post some photos when I can thanks in advance
 
I have the cabinets roughed in all the holes router for all the speakers and ports and bi amp terminal connector . waiting for hurricane nuts and bolt from PE and 11/2 egg creat foam and 2 1/2" foam from the foam factory . I'm hoping to pick your brains for the crossover layout i'm sure i'll need some help there ! I'll post some photos when I can thanks in advance
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5994.jpeg
    IMG_5994.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5993.jpeg
    IMG_5993.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5995.jpeg
    IMG_5995.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5992.jpeg
    IMG_5992.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5844.jpeg
    IMG_5844.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5846.jpeg
    IMG_5846.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5845.jpeg
    IMG_5845.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5843.jpeg
    IMG_5843.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 10
Nice!
I never did get a picture of the compensation network- not sure why
Because I realized right after I took one of these pictures, I forgot to wire it up!
I wanted it separate from the board to reduce any possible interference.
It’s basically on a small board between the two outboard l-pads.
In series(purple + wire) between the Heil and the outboard l-pad
 
Last edited:
as far as laying out your crossover, just put your components on the board and arrange them in a logical manner that makes connecting everything the easiest.
No wrong right here.
Just tried to put the farthest space between the coils and not have them on the same plane when they’re close to each other
 
I would definitely recommend putting an alp pad on the Alpha.
But on the Heil as well.
It has to be 4 ohm.
I have four left, if you’re interested in two of them.
I originally bought them for my Infinities.
To realize they use pots not l-pads.
You can’t get these stateside I had to get them from the United Kingdom.
Blows my mind that no one over here carries a real 4 ohm l pad.
The compensation work will help integrate the Heil and smooth its response.
Beyond that I would leave it as it was intended to be used with the back open.
As it will definitely sound best this way
If you simply want to have front radiation… I would go with the smaller heels like the PS PS 1220 PS 1020 tweets..
They were designed for exclusive front radiation, and sound much better than a Great Heil with the back blocked off.
 
I would definitely recommend putting an alp pad on the Alpha.
But on the Heil as well.
It has to be 4 ohm.
I have four left, if you’re interested in two of them.
I originally bought them for my Infinities.
To realize they use pots not l-pads.
You can’t get these stateside I had to get them from the United Kingdom.
Blows my mind that no one over here carries a real 4 ohm l pad.
The compensation work will help integrate the Heil and smooth its response.
Beyond that I would leave it as it was intended to be used with the back open.
As it will definitely sound best this way
If you simply want to have front radiation… I would go with the smaller heels like the PS PS 1220 PS 1020 tweets..
They were designed for exclusive front radiation, and sound much better than a Great Heil with the back blocked off.
Yes may be interested in the 4ohm l-pads, I also need to get a shopping list for the crossovers -caps, resistors, coils . ( if you have any surplus of these parts let me know ?)
my goal is is get the most detail and clarity as I can
 
I’ll check my capacitors. I ended up doing the 1/3 2/3 mix. For the mid and the Heil.
2/3 Evo oil
1/3 Superior Z Video
 
alpha 6A.
There is a shelf panel between each driver if needed i could run one 10"driver sealed one ported
lower bass area =2.2 cf upper = 1.1 cf mid = .22 cf
Nice!
I’m not sure if you’d want to run one ported and one sealed.
You could cut a hole in the shelf and that would basically make it area for both- sealed or ported.
With that large area you could do ported or sealed.
Seems that would be close to the ideal ported area for two woofers.
The older version of this I prefer them being sealed.
For choosing either, I would do some calculations.
Or ask Parts Express.
 
Nice!
I’m not sure if you’d want to run one ported and one sealed.
You could cut a hole in the shelf and that would basically make it area for both- sealed or ported.
With that large area you could do ported or sealed.
Seems that would be close to the ideal ported area for two woofers.
The older version of this I prefer them being sealed.
For choosing either, I would do some calculations.
Or ask Parts Express.
The shelf has 4 holes open between bass chambers as seen on photo 2, Parts express says 2 woofers sealed .9 cf each and 3.5 cf ported tuned 37HZ = 2 3x6 ports
As for the shelf it could blocked off or leaved open for more options .
 
Back
Top Bottom