• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

Have you ever turned over 100,000 miles on a car

  • Yes, and I put all 100,000 miles on myself

    Votes: 374 72.3%
  • Yes, but it was purchased used and already had miles on it

    Votes: 198 38.3%
  • No, never turned a car over 100,000

    Votes: 9 1.7%
  • No, always sell or trade prior to 100,000

    Votes: 8 1.5%

  • Total voters
    517
2015 Honda accord, will likely break 200k this year (at about 189,000 right now). No major repairs (yet, knock on wood), has been a great car, bought new.
 
I didn't read all the posts.

100k miles was nothing in 1965, is nothing in 2024.

Before I was 30, I never owned a vehicle that had LESS than 100k on it...

A bit later in my career I drove 24k-30k miles a year, 70-20-10. 70% highway, 20% city, 10% off road. New truck every 5-6 years. So they all had 110k-160k on them, and our fleet department basically did nothing but oil changes, brakes and tires.

Also raced in SCCA-Pro endurance racing for a couple of seasons (crew member, not a driver). A 24-hour race may be 1200-1500 miles, give or take. At 1200 miles on a tight course the suspension bushings are shot. At 7k-10k (a season) you better be overhauling everything.

Miles mean little, it's how those miles were put on, and how the vehicle was maintained.
 
I put 300,000 miles on an old Volvo 240 that was already over 200,000 when I bought it. I know the family i sold it to used it for at least another 10 years after I sold it to them because I'd see it in the same lot regularly downtown. Great old cars.
I saw a 1975 maroon 260 station wagon recently at the recycling center. I said to the guy driving it, “Wow! You don’t see these much coming and going anymore.” “Nope,” he said, “My dad bought it new in 1975. Put over 500,000 miles on it. Probably bury me in it.”
 
Every Chevy I've owned has done 100K+ with little or no repairs. Wish I could say the same about my wife's Mercedes cars.
 
Every Chevy I've owned has done 100K+ with little or no repairs. Wish I could say the same about my wife's Mercedes cars.
Funny, I've had just the opposite... though all the Chevy's I've had I ran the piss out of their small block V8s. My old 73' Mercedes SL280 that I drove in Germany had 350,000 KM (over 215,000 miles) on it and it still ran like stink on a monkey!
 
I put 300,000 miles on an old Volvo 240 that was already over 200,000 when I bought it. I know the family i sold it to used it for at least another 10 years after I sold it to them because I'd see it in the same lot regularly downtown. Great old cars.
My wife had a 1990 240 wagon that went everywhere, just not with any break neck acceleration. When I bought a black 97 Saab 9000 Aero, that was the end of the 240. She got a 9000 Aero as well, but in red.
 
Funny, I've had just the opposite... though all the Chevy's I've had I ran the piss out of their small block V8s. My old 73' Mercedes SL280 that I drove in Germany had 350,000 KM (over 215,000 miles) on it and it still ran like stink on a monkey!
Nowhere did I say her Mercedes cars did not run well. Just that they always needed something and those somethings were always expensive. The SL280 is a nice collector's car. However, the wife's '93 320e and her current '09 C350 Sport would both blow it into the weeds performance-wise. The previous diesels, not so much.
 
Nowhere did I say her Mercedes cars did not run well. Just that they always needed something and those somethings were always expensive. The SL280 is a nice collector's car. However, the wife's '93 320e and her current '09 C350 Sport would both blow it into the weeds performance-wise. The previous diesels, not so much.
What the heck is a '93 320e?
Were you in Europe at the time?
 
Not yet, bought my 2002 Mirage with 97k in km and now have 147k on it, so it will need to hit 160k before it equals 100,000 miles.

One of these older Mirages in Japan reached 1,000,000 miles so it has plenty of life left in it.
 
Had a Datsun B210 that had 5600 miles on it when we bought it in 1977. Knocked the passenger door completely off while backing up, as the wife had it open to see how much room we had behind us, because the windows were fogged up. She said it was clear, but failed to see the pile of snow next to her. It made for a quiet drive home while she held the door in place. A month later I was driving fast in the snow on a country road having fun and lost control. The car went off the road and flipped upside down and slid through a mail box on a post. Upside down, I rolled the window down and crawled out through the snow. A guy with a 4x4 truck came by and pulled the car back right side up. I got in and started it up and drove home. It only had a small dent by the gas cap. Told the wife the reason I went off the road was because a rabbit ran out in front of me. (Ahh good times) Drove that car back and forth to work for another year and a half. Ended up trading it in for a mini van In 1982 The dealer gave us a set of upgraded hubcaps for our car. The Datsun had 145,000 miles on it.
 
I bought a brand new 2005 Chevy Avalanche. The only problem I’ve had with it was it started losing oil pressure At about 100k miles. I took it to the dealer and they wanted $800 just to determine the problem. So I went on YouTube and started searching. Saw a video of a guy who had the same issues, turned out to be a $2.59 o ring in the oil pickup tube assembly, which I did myself. It now has 284,000 miles on it. The truck runs great. We’ll see how many miles I will get because I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it.
 
As of today, I currently have 227,411miles on my Mazda 5! I had to snap a picture of my odometer this morning and send it to my insurance company for my yearly review. I purchased my Mazda, new, in July of 2006! I've only driven it about 1400 miles in the last year! I finally purchased another vehicle, but will continue to hold onto the Mazda, which is perfect for trips to Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, and to haul my drums around!

Mazda_Mileage-1.jpg
 
Nowhere did I say her Mercedes cars did not run well. Just that they always needed something and those somethings were always expensive. The SL280 is a nice collector's car. However, the wife's '93 320e and her current '09 C350 Sport would both blow it into the weeds performance-wise. The previous diesels, not so much.
My Chevies ran well and I ran them hard because it was fun! Mercedes ran really well too, but the parts for Mercedes are outrageously expensive - IIRC, the air filter alone was $40 and this was in the 1980's. The oil filter (canister type) was $15 and it held 8 liters of oil including the cooler- quite expensive for routine maintenance, but nothing ever broke. The Chevy's I had all had various troubles with electrical bits (sensors mostly) but nothing debilitating, just annoying. My younger brother blew up the engine in his 2012 Corvette- for some reason it only ever had 30 psi oil pressure. Fortunately he had taken it back to the dealer several times for the oil pressure issue and they kept telling him it was fine until it blew and they had to pony up for a new engine (a new motor for a Corvette is expensive as hell). He got a manual transmission Camaro after that and it has been perfect.
 
Last edited:
Most of the vehicles I have purchased, already had 100,000 miles on them. Nothing better than driving something that is half worn out already.... then I proceed to spend thousands of dollars trying to keep them on the road..... Then I complain about it. So satisfying,
 
First car was a Mazda Protege, I bought it brand new a week after I got my first job and put 287,000 miles on it.

My previous car to this one (also a Mazda incidentally) got to 88,000 before I traded it in. If you want a reliable fun car, get a Mazda, they're amazing
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom