• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fathom F112's in my system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too busy listening when I do have free time! :music: The active x/o and the dual F112s have elevated my listening to nothing short of a some kind of a religious experience or an "epiphany".

Darn Serge, I still don't have the 501s and now I'm already thinking about the active x/o + subs ... in my small room :D.

Glad you are having such a good time. My own MDA1000 VeeView is being delayed because I just want to listen, and listen, and listen ...

Alberto
 
Darn Serge, I still don't have the 501s and now I'm already thinking about the active x/o + subs ... in my small room :D.


Alberto
Do it! :yes: The great thing about the setup is that it is future proof, no matter what kind of speakers or sizes of rooms the future brings, the trio will always complement it. These bad boys will just as easily fill a room 3 times the size with quality, musical bass and you can decide exactly where to hand off the bass to them depending on the speakers, their bass quality and room interaction. :thmbsp:
 
Since I am crossing over at 70Hz instead of 35Hz like I used to before the active x/o, recordings that have instruments hard left or hard right have a more "palpable" quality to them. Both subs are masters and have their dedicated channels, there is no summing of bass in my setup.

Maybe these findings counter the commonly held belief that audio frequencies below 80Hz are omnidirectional.
 
Maybe these findings counter the commonly held belief that audio frequencies below 80Hz are omnidirectional.
There are many beliefs and theories out there. My ears tell me the two subs sound better with some recordings. If our ears didn't constantly guide our decisions, it would be a much cheaper hobby.
 
they may be omnidirectional, but they originate from a source. :D

Not necessarily. Many recording engineers do not mike for stereo sound in the lower frequencies since these notes are considered to be omnidirectional. In tests at the McIntosh lab it was found that to hear stereo affect. i.e., left/right emphasis, at 20Hz, for example, the listener would have to sit at least 56' back from the speakers. Similarly, if you were sitting in a concert hall near front/center, you could identify the location of the violin section (which is normally front/left on the stage) but not the bass drum section, regardless of where it was on the stage.
 
Not necessarily. Many recording engineers do not mike for stereo sound in the lower frequencies since these notes are considered to be omnidirectional. In tests at the McIntosh lab it was found that to hear stereo affect. i.e., left/right emphasis, at 20Hz, for example, the listener would have to sit at least 56' back from the speakers. Similarly, if you were sitting in a concert hall near front/center, you could identify the location of the violin section (which is normally front/left on the stage) but not the bass drum section, regardless of where it was on the stage.

I agree with the concert hall example, but at home the rooms are small with tight boundaries and as Ivan mentioned placement is key to fool the mind where you have placed the subs so they integrate. As far as stereo, in my system bass placement varies from disk/album. Usually left/center/right of center image, forward or back to a degree behind the lead vocals.
 
Having just one F113, its not the hearing of frequency for me, as it is the compression feel, which seems directional.
If my wife was stronger /or would participate, I could do a blind test.
In fact I am picking up another sub this week, as I liked the F113 so much .
90% of my listenning to the sub is with Home Theater.
Which will change soon.
(I now buy every bad Blu Ray movie, with good sound, available.)
 
Most music, as william.keith mentioned isn't even mixed in stereo down low. It's pointless to set up subs as a stereo pair aside from them being used as an extension of small monitor speakers not capable of decent bass reproduction. The beauty of seperate subs is you can place them in the room to do the thing they do best, provide uniform bass levels throughout to treat room modes. In fact, the more subs the better but diminishing returns hit hard after the third seperate sub.
 
Most music, as william.keith mentioned isn't even mixed in stereo down low. It's pointless to set up subs as a stereo pair aside from them being used as an extension of small monitor speakers not capable of decent bass reproduction.

You have some reading to do. If you don't agree with the authors on the benefits of stereo subs used with ether full range or monitor speakers, you can challenge them but I am pretty sure they will challenge "your" first hand knowledge as well. :smoke:
You can start with these:

http://home.jlaudio.com/pdfs/37831_eprint.pdf

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/subwoofer-reviews/subwoofers/jl-audio-fathom-f-112-subwoofer.html

http://www.onhometheater.com/features/20040801.htm


I myself have had full range speakers and monitors in the same room, with and without subs. I think I voiced my preference pretty clearly already.


What "is" pointless is answering these posts from folks who have not experienced 2 subs in their system but will argue 'till the cows come home none the less". Get 2 subs, an active x/o if you wish, give them a listen and then come back and post your argument. I will still tell you that I prefer the 2 subs in my system. :yes:
 
Sorry, I don't believe I will take a step back to 2 subs. When you do a little research on small room modal behavior, come talk to me about stereo subs. Until then, I won't waste my time responding to you, or your attempted 'education'. please spare others the attempt, as well. It'll save me and others some effort in the future.

good day.
 
Sorry, I don't believe I will take a step back to 2 subs. When you do a little research on small room modal behavior, come talk to me about stereo subs. Until then, I won't waste my time responding to you, or your attempted 'education'. please spare others the attempt, as well. It'll save me and others some effort in the future.

good day.


No need to be rude. :no:
 
Sorry, I don't believe I will take a step back to 2 subs. When you do a little research on small room modal behavior, come talk to me about stereo subs. Until then, I won't waste my time responding to you, or your attempted 'education'. please spare others the attempt, as well. It'll save me and others some effort in the future.

good day.
Man, it is a good thing you are just an occasional visitor on McIntosh forum. Me and you would have a serious problem.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom