• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

favorite EL-34 tubes and why

fox512

New Member
Hi...I have a marantz model 8 and was looking to upgrade the tubes...not too concerned with the price and was looking for some input into other peoples favorites...thanks in advance
 
Register to hide this ad
I am really enjoying my EH 6CA7's in an Acrosound Williamson with TO-330 outputs. They have a grand sound, very open like a 6550 but a "wetter" and more liquid like an EL34, especially in the midrange. And the bass extension is wonderful, very full. They are quite a bargain, IMO. In comparion I have old Svetlanas, which are nice but "dark" and nowhere near as open, and some Mullard reissues, which I find too bright.
 
They don't sound rolled off at all in my ST-70.
Some feel the top end is a bit bright, but I don't hear any excessive brightness.
 
I engaged in a brief fling with Genalex Gold Lion KT77s in my Model 5s, but have returned to EH 6CA7s. They sound appropriately detailed, are tonally accurate, can survive for thousands of hours in Marantz circuitry, and cost relatively little. I prefer tetrodes to pentodes in Marantz tube amplifiers, though Tung Sol EL34Bs are my third choice from the pool of new-production tubes. If I could afford a quad of Sylvania/RCA 6CA7s, I'd use those, but alas, they're out of my reach. The EH 6CA7 is the "poor man's" Sylvania/RCA 6CA7, IMO.
 
What's the top end like from the EH 6CA7? Rolled-off at all?

No, no, not at all. Open but natural, no artificial brightness. An extremely well-balanced tube. Lots of sound stage depth, accuracy of original recording venue. Listening more tonight, every recording sounds "right." But also, the mid-range is clear, not recessed like a lot of higher powered tubes. I'm a nut for nice, clear midrange and these have it.
 
I just bought a pair of EH6CA7s to complete a quad for my stock ST-70. After running them several days I thought the overall sound was too lean and lacking any ‘meat on the bone’. Not so much bright as maybe dry and the opposite of sweet. The cheap Nesstone EL34s are back in.
So much depends on speakers at one end and source at the other.
 
thanks for all the replies...I had some other people mention the EH ones to me as well...probably give those a try
 
thanks for all the replies...I had some other people mention the EH ones to me as well...probably give those a try

Fellow 8 owner here (plus an 8b and a pair of 9's)... I have SED Wing C's in all of them, they are my favorites in all 3 amps.

Hard to find these days and price seems to be rising but you said price wasn't a concern. If I had to buy some other brand, I would give the EH 6CA7's a try. I have them in a Fisher 500c and like the sound in that circuit. Good luck..
 
I run matched quads of JJ EL34L blue bottles in the Quicksilver M60 monoblocks driving the mid-range panels of my Magnapan MGIIIa's and they sound fabulous to me in that application.
Regards,
Jim
 
I run matched quads of JJ EL34L blue bottles in the Quicksilver M60 monoblocks driving the mid-range panels of my Magnapan MGIIIa's and they sound fabulous to me in that application.
Regards,
Jim

Before JJ, there were the "Made in Czechoslovakia" Tesla blue and red E34L tubes. Very, very nice. :)


Tesla E34L - red CZ.jpg
 
JJ sold some blotchy blue EL34's for awhile. They were the same as the regular JJ EL34 though. Just extra $ for the color.

A friend ran some blue Czech E34L through his Marshall 1959 Plexi. Swear that amp sounded as good as any Mullard Blackburn EL34 amp I heard. Rich, swirling harmonics. 3D imaging galore. Bass immersion! I wished I had bought more of those tubes. :)

As big amps go, only the TungSol (USA) 6550 loaded Ampeg SVT had a much "life" and "feel" as that Plexi. In my experience. :thumbsup:
 
I have a set of tubes pulled from a Dynaco ST70, all used but the power tubes were Mullard Blackburn EL34's. Not sure what kind of life is left in them but they are great to try in a SE amp to see just how sweet it will sing. A real shame they are rare and stupid expensive. Best tube I've ever heard.

BillWojo
 
I just bought a pair of EH6CA7s to complete a quad for my stock ST-70. After running them several days I thought the overall sound was too lean and lacking any ‘meat on the bone’. Not so much bright as maybe dry and the opposite of sweet. The cheap Nesstone EL34s are back in.
So much depends on speakers at one end and source at the other.

Audio can be interesting. In my SE amp, I found the EH 6CA7 to be overly warm through the mid-bass and a bit soft on highs. It was like what some call the "classic tube sound" except it was on steroids. Too much of a good thing. I played some of my standard demo cuts and it was an entirely different presentation than I was used to. Warm & fuzzy with a diminished soundstage. Kind of like going to a club where the room was a bit deadened with some bass resonance.
 
Back
Top Bottom