• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Favorite T.V. theme song

Some very good ones already listed. Among my favorites, not necessarily in any order:

Airwolf
Simon & Simon, theme used from 2nd season onward with the slide guitar and "dirty" sax solo.
Sanford and Son
Rockford Files, was some of Mike Post's very best work IMO.
Barney Miller
Chips

Magnum P.I. both the original S1 version by Ian Freebairn-Smith and the better known replacement theme song by Mike Post with Larry Carlton's awesome lead guitar line. The original from the pilot episode is quite a piece of work:

Greatest American Hero, though the theme was better than the show. Another Stephen J. Canell show that had a pretty cool theme was Renegade.

One that is a bit obscure and not yet mentioned here wasn't actually the main theme song - which was also good - but rather music often used for the closing theme, as well as in episode music, came from first four seasons of the BBC series "Hustle". It's title on the unofficial soundtrack is "Success (2004)". Here's a link, give it a listen:

There are others I really like, but it's already a long list, and those are the highlights.
 
Theme music for "Midsomer Murders". How often are you going to hear a theremin these days?

The interwebospheres tell me that the theme was played by the late Celia Sheen, who also performed other incidental music for the series, not to mention having a rich and varied career as a musician in other avenues.
 
I'll also cast another vote for "Barney Miller". Possibly one of the most recognizable bass lines of all time.

I seem to recall, that I noticed 2 or 3 mild changes/variations of the original Barney Miller theme song after the iconic lead in bass line, that I first picked up watching it in syndication around 79 & 80.
Like it was jazzed up a little bit.

Check them out if you wish, and let me know what you think.
 
For me it is Taxi. It was listed by a few fellow AKs. I also enjoy the series. Yes till this day I still laugh at these characters on the program.

And myself included, as well, BNR_1.

Enough for me to purchase the complete series DVD box set a few yrs. ago, and re-watch binge it for 5 days every night every few yrs. since !

Very funny and timeless TV comedy, IMO/E.
 
@Bill Ferris - I think Barney Miller had a different version of the theme for almost every season. As regular cast was added, longer cuts were needed. A local listener supported FM station here KDHX (not an NPR affiliate) did a focus on it one afternoon a few years ago when Ron Glass passed away. I just happened to have it on randomly that day while on a job site.

Kind of recalled there being different versions, but hearing them all played in sequence made it quite obvious. There is a youtube video that has all versions of the opening and closing themes played in sequence.
 
@Bill Ferris - I think Barney Miller had a different version of the theme for almost every season. As regular cast was added, longer cuts were needed. A local listener supported FM station here KDHX (not an NPR affiliate) did a focus on it one afternoon a few years ago when Ron Glass passed away. I just happened to have it on randomly that day while on a job site.

Kind of recalled there being different versions, but hearing them all played in sequence made it quite obvious. There is a youtube video that has all versions of the opening and closing themes played in sequence.

Thanks for the theme variation memory conformation, Sansuiman..
 
Secret agent man. By Johnny Rivers.

They given you a number, but take away your name.
OK. I know you didn't play that guitar piece in your head after you read that line.
 
Secret agent man. By Johnny Rivers.

They given you a number, but take away your name.
OK. I know you didn't play that guitar piece in your head after you read that line.
I had somewhat iffy hearing during my 20 years in the Air Force and for more years than I want to admit I thought he was singing "secret Asian man" and thought what kind of racist crap is this? My wife told me he was saying secret Agent man... then the song finally made sense. My hearing has recovered some in the last 15 years but will never be what it once was.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom