• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Few pictures of Systems

subtlebeast

Active Member
7EF491B1-614C-4CD7-B561-3670A3698D5F.jpeg
8EC57435-9997-4872-B926-CCDD82B4C9F7.jpeg

Main Listing area. Rt909 is being overhauled, so I have my RT707 in its place


DF1C02D2-A66C-4C26-8FCA-16175A76F39D.jpeg


Office System
NAD 140, NHT 2.5is
 
Register to hide this ad
Some nice stuff there but I'd be worried about having my TV and speakers so close to the stove. If that's a wood stove it's gonna get super hot. ;)
 
Some nice stuff there but I'd be worried about having my TV and speakers so close to the stove. If that's a wood stove it's gonna get super hot. ;)

Yeah, I felt the same way, but I used a temp gun to measure the heat both above and the side of the stove and it’s not that bad at all. It seems the stove projects the heat forward based on the vent design. It’s gas and we never keep it too hot. I keep a healthy coat of oil on the speakers and the drivers seem fine.
 
My system is my profile picture. It includes Vintage ;
Crown dl2 power module, crown dl2 distinction series controller, FM1 tuner, two SA2 pre-amps, EQ2 with B&W 801 series speakers.
 
Last edited:
thanks all. I have a very understanding wife that allowed me to explore my hobby... It took much tweaking to get what I was looking for sonically. I have spent countless hours, years---hell, decades trying to fine tune my systems and spaces. It included swaping out tubes, cables, tweaking speaker position, even playing around with different treatments, drapes and blinds to absorb and diffuse sound. My system is in no way perfect, but it brings a smile. Funny thing is, each system has it's own persona. I truly enjoy my main system, but he NAD 140 with my NHT's is special too. Very different sound, but a good match of equipment.

Lastly, Stansje very cool profile picture of your system. Care to share more?
 
Sorry i thought the picture would be more clear but its not so i edited it and listed my components. Thanks for pointing it out.
 
Last edited:
THE SPACE
This is a typical Japanese room for an older Japanese house. No central heating, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. It was originally a tatami room, but the flooring was replaced by solid tongue-in-groove pine plank.

THE STUFFS:
All was bought, modified or altered on budgets. All except some transformers, cable (much of it assembled as DIY) and some cartridge stylii were purchased or salvaged as used. Vintage ranges from mid 70's to around 2010.

First: FRONT FROM LISTENING AREA
A view from where I listen and sleep on a futon.The speakers are modified Sansui SP-88's. I rewired inside and upgraded the caps. The titanium tweeters were replaced by English silk domes. They are authoritative, sweet and detailed — elegant sound!

Second: FRONTSIDE of RACK
Top: TT: Micro Seiki DD-8 (direct drive) with an MA-505 MkII arm. Various MM cartridges are in store, including an original Micro Seiko VF3200 with a Jico replica stylus. Down: Kenwood / Trio L-05M's mono amps. 100 Watts per channel. I recapped them — including the large filters. I installed better hardware on the back plate. Down: A&D (rebranded Akai) GX-Z9100EX cassette deck. It's been thoroughly aligned and checked out by a competent technician. Brilliant! Down: Melos GK-1+1 tube preamp. I deleted the L / R gain pots and installed an Alps Blue volume pot. The Melos' large power supply is on the backside of the rack. Down: Yamaha CDX-1020, a serious 2nd gen CDP. Data on SPdif goes out to DIY Paradise Monica III DAC on the backside of the rack.

Third: BACKSIDE of RACK
Top left: I built a DIY 24 Volt power supply for the Monica III DAC. Centre: I boxed up the Monic III module in this little chassis that is weighted with lead. It's a non-sampling architecture. Right: I boxed up a 100 >120 VAC step-up transformer for the Melos. (Japanese line is100 VAC at 50/60 Hz) ; Down: Pioneer TX-8800 II tuner (recapped); Down: Power supply for the Melos re-amp. I very much modified it for heat management; I also added a fan. (The factory layout charred the fibreglass board and was killing the unit.
 

Attachments

  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 72
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 67
I want that NAD 140. Send it to me. Now.

I was reared on NAD back in the 80's when I couldn't really afford any of it. Stumbled onto a 7020 receiver that I still have very fond memories of driving some Boston Acoustics A40 speakers. So smooth.
That 140 is a stunner to my eyes and frankly I didn't even know those existed.
 
Back
Top Bottom