• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Firefly and Joss Whedon.... Incredible.

During its abortive run on Fox I managed to catch exactly one show. This was pre-DVR for me so I never saw another but was certainly intrigued. 'Serenity' came and I saw it in the theater. Intrigue went to into full-blown "WTF?". Got the box set for Christmas and by episode 3 my ebullience started to turn into nagging depression knowing that this was it, there would be no more. I slowed down in watching them and managed to drag it out to nearly a month.

That was 3 years ago and I've not watched them since. Have nearly forgotten them all & don't read the episode discussions on other forums. I want to enjoy them again and be surprised once more. I'll go out on a limb and state the "Firefly" was quite possibly the best sci-fi series in decades. It is an absolute shame that it was dealt with the way it was. Maybe another film someday covering the time between 'Firefly' & 'Serenity' specifically to include one character. Now that would be cool. Taking off the browncoat now.

2303557192828080_8.jpg

As an FYI, Whedon and his associates have done several comics mini-series and one-shots set in the Firefly 'verse. The next one is a hardcover about Shepard Book, set for release in September. It's written by Joss' brother Zack, who also co-wrote Dr. Horrible.

On that note, Joss Whedon also did a fairly short but highly enjoyable stint on two of Marvel's X-Men comics a few years back. On top of that he did a far-future Slayer miniseries called "Fray," and the 8th season of Buffy has been running in comics format for a while now (and is about ready to start on the final story arc).
 
Another show that I recently discovered that's been canceled is Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Not as good but I like the episodes where Summer Glau as a terminator tries to find her humanity and nonchalantly beats people up.
 
Another show that I recently discovered that's been canceled is Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Not as good but I like the episodes where Summer Glau as a terminator tries to find her humanity and nonchalantly beats people up.

Like Dollhouse, Terminator did not get going until the last season and then you could barely hang on. My thought was why didn't they do this initially? When both ended it was a drag as they had both hit their stride.

Firefly was a whole different story. It had a complex arc that required you to pay attention. Why Fox decided to show it out of sequence just makes no sense at all. Yeah, here's hoping there is another live action go.....hoping.....

serenity-1.jpg
 
We're all entitled to our own opinion... even if yours is wrong. Just kidding... I happen to think he was perfect for the role.

Considering he is a descendant of Civil War (Confederate) General Jubal Early,
And Firefly / Serenity was inspired by the aftermath of the Civil War.
I think you're right.
 
That's right. I forgot about it being shown out of sequence.

And they didn't show the pilot until the very end of the run, instead putting a small setup teaser at the start of "The Train Job." If they had run the series in order, starting with the pilot, and not pre-empted it every time anyone turned around, it might have done a lot better.
 
My wife and I watched when it was still first run. Since then we bought the "complete" Series (minus one episode and including the Pilot) and Serenity.

I'm a big fan of Jewel Staite, later on Stargate Atlantis.

Quite simply all the characters were excellent. I listen to the director's comments rather than the dialog sometimes. It is enlightening.
 
Last edited:
My wife and I watched when it was still first run. Since then we bought the "complete" Series (minus one episode and including the Pilot) and Serenity.

The only thing missing from the DVD set of the series is the original short backstory introduction from the start of "The Train Job" that was inserted when some idiot at FOX decided to not show the pilot.
 
Oh yeah, Castle is a "must watch" for me. Second season DVD and second Nikki Heat novel is coming.

Btw, anyone caught the Castle "tribute" to Firefly last year? See this link

I have yet to watch Castle, but want to. I heard about the tribute, did it actually air or was it just an internet rumor?
 
I have yet to watch Castle, but want to. I heard about the tribute, did it actually air or was it just an internet rumor?

It aired during Halloween last year. The premise was that Castle was putting on his "space cowboy" costume for a Halloween party and his daughter said "Didn't you wear that costume, like, 5 years ago?"....as in when Firefly was still on :D

Let's go to the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom