• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 400 startup issues after rebuild

My guess is that you have a funky pot. While the joined legs will always be the same, the single leg has to change when you turn the wiper. Try another pot.
 
My guess is that you have a funky pot. While the joined legs will always be the same, the single leg has to change when you turn the wiper. Try another pot.
Ok, so I'm moving on and going to install an IBAM. I don't want to mess with the single 10K pot at this point. I'm changing the screen resistors to 200K 1/2W and changing coupling caps from .047 to .1uf 630V Westcott and Russian PIO. I'm hoping someone checks it all out before I start up on DBT and variac to test. Will post progress.
 
Ok, so I'm moving on and going to install an IBAM. I don't want to mess with the single 10K pot at this point. I'm changing the screen resistors to 200K 1/2W and changing coupling caps from .047 to .1uf 630V Westcott and Russian PIO. I'm hoping someone checks it all out before I start up on DBT and variac to test. Will post progress.
I finished building and installing the IBAM, 200K grid resistors, .1uf 600V PIO caps. Photos show where IBAM was connected with yellow wire on the left to the negative side of the bias and -rectifier, and the black wire on left to ground lug on terminal strip. Each trimmer goes to the 4 new 200K resistors and trimmers mirror the position of each tube they control.
Can I test the IBAM on variac without output tubes?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2763.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 11
I finished building and installing the IBAM, 200K grid resistors, .1uf 600V PIO caps. Photos show where IBAM was connected with yellow wire on the left to the negative side of the bias and -rectifier, and the black wire on left to ground lug on terminal strip. Each trimmer goes to the 4 new 200K resistors and trimmers mirror the position of each tube they control.
Can I test the IBAM on variac without output tubes?
Tested OK on DBT and variac. Went off DBT and was able to adjust pin 2 to -17 VDC on each socket with IBAM trimmers.
 
Ok, you’ve verified you have a functional IBAM. What you want is to bias your output tubes to a safe 30ma until other aspects of the restoration is complete. You can then pop in your best tubes and set them to your preferred bias.
 
Ok, you’ve verified you have a functional IBAM. What you want is to bias your output tubes to a safe 30ma until other aspects of the restoration is complete. You can then pop in your best tubes and set them to your preferred bias.
I adjusted each tube's bias to 320mV for testing. Sounds good so far, except for a scratchy volume pot on right side only. Its noisey just past turning power on then quiets down. Cleaned it thoroughly with deoxit and faderlube
 
Fabulous thread -- now enjoy some tunes !
Its a labor of love rebuilding these, almost feel like a cultural preservationist to be honest. I just found a pair of Fisher XP-9 speakers that I'm thinking of mating with this 400.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3664.jpg
    IMG_3664.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom