• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher Custom Sixty!!!

The saga has come to an end!!!

After a year and almost 3 months the Custom Sixty is singing again. I had a local tech replace every electrolytic cap in the 4 chassis I had him use all Mallory caps and fullly test everything. It is now sweetly singing in the dinning room facing the living room opening. This fills the upstairs with a beautifully full sound. I am really happy with the Jensen G610A on classical, vocals, and Jazz. On rock it is underwhelming. It plays the notes very well but doesn't draw me into the music like on the other genres. This is an amazing unit and I'm glad I had the patience to wait for the repair.

A big thanks to all the people that contributed their thoughts and encouragement.
 

Attachments

  • 2012-05-15 22.52.19.jpg
    2012-05-15 22.52.19.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2012-05-15 22.48.44.jpg
    2012-05-15 22.48.44.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0706.jpg
    DSCF0706.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0707.jpg
    DSCF0707.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0708.jpg
    DSCF0708.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0705.jpg
    DSCF0705.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Very nice!

If I might offer a suggestion, get some black craft foam or soft weatherstripping and replace the light seals on the side of your tuner dial. The lights should just illuminate the lettering through side illumination, not leak onto the black background. The original foam or cork seals dry up over the years.
 
Will do, none of the units have been mounted in the cabinet yet. I wanted to give them a trial run first.
 
It is great to see such an ambitious restoration come off successfully. The Custom Sixty is unquestionably worth the effort. Your dedication and perseverance show that you are, in turn, worthy of such a treasure. I am very glad you decided to keep it intact and devote the time and resources necessary to put it back into service. Kudos for your efforts.

Are you using the radio as your only source or have you tried the auxiliary inputs? I would expect Rock-N-Roll that was originally recorded in mono and played back on a good quality turntable with an appropriate mono cartridge and stylus to sound pretty good through the Sixty. However, if you're talking "Rock" music originally recorded in stereo . . . I'm afraid you're going to need a second Sixty, a stereo cartridge and stylus as well as an appropriate phono preamp for that to sound like it should.
 
Thanks TheRed1, with out your diligence and knowledge I would have never known the beauty of this rare beast. I am at the moment only using radio as my source. I have used the TV in as an Aux and had good results, albeit the same conclusion with modern rock. I have not purchased a needle yet for the turntable and also need to replace the power cord. Those two things I can do myself later this year. Lucky we have a great jazz station and a pretty competent classical station that I listen to almost nightly. The Sixty has the best/ most selective tuner in my house by a good margin.

As for a second Sixty, if I ever find one for the right price I will certainly purchase it.
 
Congratulations! The beautiful cabinet plus such wonderful tuner, audio and power supply chassis are outstanding examples of Avery's craft in designing and manufacturing. You can treasure this for many years. This unit cleaned up quite well and is a credit to its owner that the chassis remained in such good condition. Now just enjoy!:beerchug:

Joe
 
I believe I really got lucky on that custom 60. The owner had a few cats in there and I was worried that the urine smell of the house would have permeated the equipment lucky for me it never had that problem. it'll fortunately doesn't get as much listening time is it once did but it does get enjoyed once or twice a month.
 
Here is a scan of a factory photo of the Custom Sixty Series chassis - tuner, amplifier, and power supply which seems to match your equipment. The photo is marked "Model S-60 Chassis."

Also, here is the link for a 8 page brochure on the Custom Sixty Series console. It says the expander is an option. I hope you find it interesting.

http://users.ntplx.net/~jonk/FISHER CUSTOM 60 SERIES.pdf

Good luck with it!!

Hi Jonboy55, Do you still have this PDF for the Fisher Custom 60? The link is no longer active, and I'd LOVE to see this rare brochure!
 
Back
Top Bottom