• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fix for weak dustcover hinges?

grendel1972

Active Member
The hinges on my turntable will not hold the dustcover in the "up" position anymore. Any way to fix this short of replacing the hinges or going the no-hinge route?
 
Register to hide this ad
Sorry, I can't help.
I did have a 6200 and I think it had the same problem(almost). There was kind of sweet spot for it to stay up.
Are there any adjustments that can be done where the hinge screws to the plinth? I forget, it's been almost a year since I sold mine.
 
If it is a standard hinge with pin and bent metal like a door hinge you might try to gum it up with paint or glue and pieces of sewing thread in the seams. Or crimp the bent metal with a pair of pliers. Anything to give he hinge more resistance to working.

Charlie
 
..or just remove the dustcover entirely and leave an old record on the platter...
i added some graphics to mine..
 

Attachments

  • Limited Edition.jpg
    Limited Edition.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
There are a couple of possible fixes. One, if at least one end of the coil spring is visible you could slide a shim of some sort between the spring end and the hinge, thus increasing tension. Two, you could loosen the screws on the plinth side of the hinge and fit a shim above the screws and retighten, thus changing the center of gravity.

Another reason to cut up those credit cards.
 
Who needs hinges? I remove my dust cover when using my turntables anyway. No chance of the dust cover resonating when it's not there.
 
Who needs hinges? I remove my dust cover when using my turntables anyway. No chance of the dust cover resonating when it's not there.

I think it is a matter of personal taste. With a kid and two cats running around, I know a hinged dustcover is a bonus for me. Personally I like the tables that have a cover that is hinged(for casual listening), but can be removed easily for more critical listening.
 
As I discovered, dust cover resonance is real; so I dismounted the hinges and now remove the cover completely when playing, and just lay it in place when not.
 
I have tightened the spring tension on my 6300 but they will not hold up the weight of the new heavier dust cover. Kinda pissed. I paid high dollar for this new cover and it looks amazing. As far as lid causing noise I have never experienced that issue and have owned mine since new.
 
Back
Top Bottom