• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard 301/401 owners club!

Great thread. I'm very keen to read more about the various bearing options and how they impact sound. I recently moved from Iran to Nigeria and will not be able to use my Garrard 401 for a while, until I move into more permanent housing and can unpack my personal effects. I have two Garrard 401 and a cream 301. So far no major updates done, other than a cleaning and solid zebra wood plinth for the 401's. I also have a solid block of raintree wood which will be kept for the 301. I will post a photo as soon as possible.
Cheers

WELCOME! I would love to see some photos of the zebra wood plinth!
 
Welcome, Jessor, and good luck with your move to Nigeria.

I also have the bearing upgrade that Jeremy has, and have been playing my turntable regularly for about two months or so with the new bearing. The impact on sound is mainly that the platter runs more smoothly, so everything seems quieter. The music feels slightly more "three-dimensional" than it did before. It's a bit like my windows got insulated, in that there is less background noise. These things are hard to evaluate because I got very used to what it sounded like before, and nothing seemed wrong about it. But the upgrade helped the music sound more "open," if that makes sense. I feel as though the motor isn't working as hard. In fact, I did have to recalibrate the speed adjustment, since it was running slightly faster after the upgrade. The old bearing caused the platter to slightly drag by comparison to the very smooth new one.

Cheers,
Sean
 
Welcome, Jessor, and good luck with your move to Nigeria.

I also have the bearing upgrade that Jeremy has, and have been playing my turntable regularly for about two months or so with the new bearing. The impact on sound is mainly that the platter runs more smoothly, so everything seems quieter. The music feels slightly more "three-dimensional" than it did before. It's a bit like my windows got insulated, in that there is less background noise. These things are hard to evaluate because I got very used to what it sounded like before, and nothing seemed wrong about it. But the upgrade helped the music sound more "open," if that makes sense. I feel as though the motor isn't working as hard. In fact, I did have to recalibrate the speed adjustment, since it was running slightly faster after the upgrade. The old bearing caused the platter to slightly drag by comparison to the very smooth new one.

Cheers,
Sean

three dimensional and open seem like a perfect way to descride the change in sound. the bearing really takes the 401 to the "next level". It really opens up the soundstage, gives depth to the presentation. You can "see" the singer standing a few feet in front of the drummer, gives it a very life like sound. money well spent.

what other upgrades have you guys done and feel were a good sound investment? I can say I have tried the O-ring platter damping tweak and can report it is a nice improvement. I also cut a leather platter mat and feel with the o-rings it really tames the highs and tightens them up. the cymbals are crisp and clear. I had started a thread on this a while back.
heres the link
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=406411

so whats next?
 
Shindo rebuild? EMT tonearm? TOTL Koetsu cartridge?

Frankly, things are sounding so fine right now I'm only tempted to buy better vinyl. Guilty secret: I've been getting some 45rpm lp reissues; have to say they are astonishing. Earlier today, I had on the reissue of the Mercury recording of moussorsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. I think it was reproduced by Speaker' Corner. Antal Dorati conducting. There are two discs, the first has the orchestral version, at 33rpm, the second disc is Byron Janis playing the original piano version of the same piece, at 45rpm. The piano recording was made in 1961 but could have been played yesterday. It is sonically (and musically) incredible. Both discs, in fact, are among the best recordings I have, but the 45 is something special. I didn't appreciate this record as much until the bearing upgrade.
 
Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos of my 401 as bought. All fairly standard Garrard. I will upload photos of current status when I have unpacked and set it up. Apart from getting a new plinth I have installed a Fidelity Research FR64X arm and have tried a few different cartridges. These have been Ortofon 2M Black and a Koetsu Signature. The Ortofon directly into an Audio Note 7M phono stage. This was actually so good i did not feel any real need for a MC cartridge but I got the Koetsu in a trade deal so had to try it (with an Audio Note AN S7c transformer as the M7 is MM only). All in all quite spectacular sound.
 

Attachments

  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Seeing jeremyjustic's link about mats reminded me that I have tried several myself.

Original - Not very good. Flimsy and somehow flat sounding.

Oyaide MJ-12 - Clear and somewhat bright. Ultimately not for me. Also not really convinced it would be safe for my vinyl in the long run.

Thick heavy rubber mat from a Kenwood KD-550 - So far the best for my system. Rounded and more organic, but still open sound.

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect mat though. If there is such thing. In the meantime I have put a small suede mat in the lowered center part of the platter. Not sure if this makes a difference, but it feels right.

Then there are pucks or stabilizers. I have tried several but ended with either a ART stabilizer (made of a mix of graphite and concrete) or a Nagaoka crystal and rubber thing (forgot the model). I chose based a simple test by gently "pinging" the stabilizer on a platter and listening for which one was most quiet. Not very scientific, but then i'm not sure it has to be.

Since the currently used FR64X has detachable headshell there are of course also options there. I have settled on Oyaide carbon headshells. Medium weight, structurally very stable and easy to use.
 
I found a couple of heavy rubber Technics mats. They completely damp the platter and work well on my 301 and 401.
 
as far as mats go , I have had a lot of luck with the leather. it is cheap easy to work with and works really well, it is at least worth a shot to try one and see if you like it. I use the suede side up for best results. I was also in guitarcenter the other day and saw this drum pad that I thought would work great for a platter mat. it is a pad you set on a counter top for practicing and it deadens the sound of the drumstick. I am not sure what material it is but the are 12" dia, red, and looks perfect for a platter mat, I am going to go pick one up soon and give it a try.

so Jessor, how do you like that Fidelity Research fr64x? I just got a Fidelity Research fr54 and love it! I have mine mounted to my Russco turntable but plan on moving it over to the garrard as soon as I pick up another arm for the russco. I just picked up an orsonic av 101s headshell for it. it seems that not many people know about the Fidelity Research magic, hell even mentioning the name brings blank stares. there is an all black fr64 with the silver wiring on ebay right now that has me drooling. one day...

all the best guys , Jeremy
 
Hi Jeremy,
I agree suede is a good alternative. I have that on a Marantz TT1000 mkii, also with the suede side up. When I can get to it I may try to cut one for the Garrard (the one for the Marantz is not full size and has a large center cut out).

I like the FR64fx very much. In fact so much that i have two of them, one in black and one in silver (not very common). It is very sturdy and very very well made. Nobody can beat the japanese for quality workmanship. It is best suited for low complicance MC's but I have used it with the 2M Black and thought it worked quite well. I have an Orsonic headshell, but have not yet used it as it will make the FR quite heavy. Perhaps later with a very low compliance cartridge. I really like arms with removable headshell as I like to change cartridges without too much hassle. One final point for the FR is that it can safely be adjusted to the correct height on a Garrard. This is not possible with an SME without risers (at least I could not get a V to work properly and sold it in favour of the FR.
Soren
 
wow! you sold an SME V and kept the FR , that really says something about Fidelity Research. the fr54 is a great sounding arm and yes the quality is second to none. they feel like precision instruments rather then just a tonearm. I love the orsonic headshell, I am using the heavy av101s for a denon dl103, works perfect. good stuff, hopefully I can find a fr64 sooner then later.
 
I did. However I will not argue that the SME V i a lesser arm than the FR64fx. I just did not fit on my Garrard without a riser and I thought that spoiled the look of the Garrard on my plinth. I like simplicity and the FR64fx simply sitting directly on the plinth alongside the 401 is as about as simple as it get's, altough it is not flexible in terms of being able to change arms. That and the removable headshell made me stick with the black version FR64fx, and getting another silver (very pretty). I have several cartridges and need a simple and safe way of changing them.
 
The FR64fx was tested a couple of years back in HIFI World and was found to be up with the best current arms. Obviously a good condition one and used with a low compliance MC. I think it is the most practical of the FR arms, unless you run a Ortofon SPU or something like that. Than a FR64S may be better. Have never tried and not sure though.
 
The FR64fx was tested a couple of years back in HIFI World and was found to be up with the best current arms. Obviously a good condition one and used with a low compliance MC. I think it is the most practical of the FR arms, unless you run a Ortofon SPU or something like that. Than a FR64S may be better. Have never tried and not sure though.

do you happen to know the difference between the fr64 variations, I have seen 64fx , 64s and a couple of other letters, I think the "S" is for silver wire version but that could be wrong. Any Ideas?

:EDIT: nevermind , I see the fx is the black one and the S is the silver one. should have guessed that. I guess I was wrong about seeing other suffix letters, its been a long day.....
 
Last edited:
As I know there are several versions;

FR64 is the earliest version with a steel arm tube. Very heavy 32-35gram.

FR64S is a later version with different lateral balance function. Same steel arm tube

FR64fx is later again. Lighter at about 20gram but still heavy compared with "modern" arms. These are mostly black with a late production run mat silver version.

The S stands for a revised 64, not silver wire. The silver wire versions have a sticker on the arm itself and on the box.

For many the 64S is the "real" one to get. It is however less flexible in terms of which cartridges you can use. I personally prefer the 64fx as it can work with more different cartridges.

Hope this helps.
 
My oil bearing 301 with TPA-12 tonearm snagged from the original owner. Came with all the original literature. Obviously I need a real plinth.

picture.php
 
Oooh, nice!! I see a couple of cartridges there, too...

I like those TPA-12 arms.

Hey Rick, I need to send a package to you... :)
 
My oil bearing 301 with TPA-12 tonearm snagged from the original owner. Came with all the original literature. Obviously I need a real plinth.

picture.php

NICE! that looks great , I'd get it running and see how she sounds and then start thinking about where to go next. a new plinth would be a nice improvment. I did a multi layel baltic birch plinth and it worked out great, plus its pretty easy to do. slate would be the best (and most expensive) route. you may also want to consider a new arm, not sure about the performance of the tpa-12 but I havent had much luck with any Garrard tonearm. not to worry , you are in the right place and we can help you get that baby singing in no time! you are in for a real treat!

welcme to our humble club
 
Nate could you tell us a little about your experience with the tpa-12 arm? as stated I havent had much luck with Garrard arms but love the idea of having a garrard arm on a garrard table. what do you think about this or any other Garrard tonearms, which ones are the ones to look out for?

Thanks Nate , I hope the hollidays were good to you and yours. all the best
 
NICE! that looks great , I'd get it running and see how she sounds and then start thinking about where to go next. a new plinth would be a nice improvment. I did a multi layel baltic birch plinth and it worked out great, plus its pretty easy to do. slate would be the best (and most expensive) route. you may also want to consider a new arm, not sure about the performance of the tpa-12 but I havent had much luck with any Garrard tonearm. not to worry , you are in the right place and we can help you get that baby singing in no time! you are in for a real treat!
welcme to our humble club

Thanks. I should really take another pic as that's the one I snapped when I got it home. It was kinda' grubby on the surface, but it cleaned up NICELY.
The good news is that the table itself needs very little. Back when I got it I bumped into Terry O'Sullivan (Loricraft) at a local audio get together. Knowing he'd be there I brought the table along. He looked it over and marveled at just how incredibly clean it was, and his only suggestion past general lubrication was to either rework or replace the idler wheel. Yeah, the Garrard arm is likely not a great performer, however it is a bit nostalgic and was what the original owner installed along with cobbling together that spring loaded plinth. :no:
I've got a Mayware tonearm sitting around here, perhaps I'll try that.
Some really nice tables shown in this thread, and even nicer plinths !
 
Back
Top Bottom