• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard Turntable ID

2020

Active Member
Hi
Does anyone recognize what Garrard TT this is?

FWIW, it's inside a Packard Bell console.

Thanks in advance for any help.

01414_5MhjFBcIYVn_600x450.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a 3000, or something pretty close to it. Garrard had a pile of models that had the same mechanical guts but with different arms and motors. The color scheme is a P-B custom order deal. I'd love to find a P-B Lab 80, it has that same cream and gold color scheme to it, very cool.
 
Thanks, Gadget73. Am I correct in assuming it is an idler drive TT?
Any reason I couldn't put a decent moving magnet cartridge on it? The guy who owns it says it needs a "needle".
It is about an hour away from me. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
 
For what's it worth. Got a Gerrard type A in a 1967 console unit. The amp has a single 12ax7 phono input. Put in a mm cart but needed a preamp. That console amp may not be ready for a "modern" mm cart unless it already has one. image.jpg
 
ur welcome sir. Those consoles are a bit of magic when you can get them to sing. I can't make a call on the table but I think it would be worth a look for you. Mine was salvaged from a estate sale and it is beautiful teak wood. Re capped the amp and new tubes etc. the garrard type a is complicated but I hunkered down and clean it up. Those consoles have allot of charm if you can convince yourself into giving up half the man cave lol.
 
Mag cartridge needs a phono preamp but thats easy enough. Small external one between the existing connections and the turntable will get that done.

Where you have to watch is how the existing cartridge mounts. Not all flipper needle cartridges use a standard 1/2" two screw mount. Possible there is an adapter plate required. I know the AT6 I own had that issue, and I had to find the plate to make it work.

Idler drive, probably full of "Garrard glue" petrified grease. Not a big deal to fix, its just something to be aware of. May also need an idler wheel, they get hard and sometimes you can't perform any magic tricks on them to get it running again.
 
Back
Top Bottom