• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Garrard type cartridge

cdwalton28

New Member
Hello,
I'm trying to find the needle or combination of both needle and head for a Garrard type A turnable that's in a cabinet.

Any thoughts anyone?

I could send a pic or two if requested.

Cheers,
Chris
 
Register to hide this ad
Garrard made many tables, arms, and headshells. I don’t know of anyone who makes new Garrard headshells. You’ll have to post pics. Check eBay for anyone selling the vintage headshell.
 
are you missing the headshell? Not entirely clear on what the question is here. Those shells are specific to a small handful of Garrard models, so there isn't a generic universal fit thing.

If you have the shell and just need to know what nail is required for the cartridge, need pics of the cartridge. Those use a standard 1/2" mount so it could be basically anything.
 
My Garrard Type A70 Mk 2 had an Empire SLM-444 installed, but many low compliance carts should work if your head shell is the same as mine. A popular low cost option is the AT-3600L conical stylus with the carbon fiber cantilever. It tracks 2.5-3.5 grams.

000_3545.JPG
 
The Garrard Type A, didn't come with a factory installed cartridge (unless it was installed in a console). DO bear in mind, they don't track well or trip the automatic mechanism lighter than 2.5 grams.
 
Hello,

Here's some pics. Looks a compatible needle is needed or combination cartridge head and needle to get the unit working.

I appreciate your help sourcing for this until. Hopefully there's a solution.

Thanks,
Chris
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20210829_121042_01.jpg
    IMG_20210829_121042_01.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210829_121016_01.jpg
    IMG_20210829_121016_01.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210829_121009_01.jpg
    IMG_20210829_121009_01.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210829_120956_01.jpg
    IMG_20210829_120956_01.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 29
Hello,

Here's some pics. Looks a compatible needle is needed or combination cartridge head and needle to get the unit working.

I appreciate your help sourcing for this until. Hopefully there's a solution.

Thanks,
Chris

That looks like the standard half inch mount so cartridge options are open, would have to balance the arm but that is routine. To actually be able to use the table as one would expect it probably needs some service, cleaning, degreasing, being sure trip mechanism is as intended... that is, not gummed up... basic things like that. Nice unit for the console, properly serviced the table should provide years of entertainment.
 
Looks like the head shell is identical to my Type A70 Mk2. As spicer mentioned, most standard half inch carts will work, with the exception of those that have a built in thread for the mounting bolts, and need to mount through the top of the head shell.

The AT3600L would definitely work, and should track ok with that tonearm ($25). The LP Gear CF3600LE offers an upgraded elliptical stylus on the same carbon fiber cantilever - $50. They also offer an AT95C with that CF cantilever (tracks 2-3 gms) - $30. Something that tracks fairly heavy will be key for that arm.
 
Scott I think you have an A-II, not an A70. The A70 arm is different.

Anyway, that cartridge looks to be a very old Bang and Olufson model. SP2 maybe. Looks like replacement nails exist for it, but I have absolutely zero experience. If it is indeed a B&O, I'd expect to see branding somewhere, probably on the top side so it will need to be dismounted to confirm.

1/2" mount, anything that tracks over 2.5-3 grams will serve. the gotcha with these is the screws. Those are probably shorties for use with metal ears. The thread is an old British one called 6BA. If you need longer screws, you'll have to find them in the correct thread. Common turntable ones do not fit.
 
Scott I think you have an A-II, not an A70. The A70 arm is different.

Anyway, that cartridge looks to be a very old Bang and Olufson model. SP2 maybe. Looks like replacement nails exist for it, but I have absolutely zero experience. If it is indeed a B&O, I'd expect to see branding somewhere, probably on the top side so it will need to be dismounted to confirm.

1/2" mount, anything that tracks over 2.5-3 grams will serve. the gotcha with these is the screws. Those are probably shorties for use with metal ears. The thread is an old British one called 6BA. If you need longer screws, you'll have to find them in the correct thread. Common turntable ones do not fit.
I found the correct screws for mine on eBay but I had to order them from Australia. At the time they weren't very expensive and neither was shipping. Took about two weeks to receive them but once here I was good to go.
 
are you missing the headshell? Not entirely clear on what the question is here. Those shells are specific to a small handful of Garrard models, so there isn't a generic universal fit thing.

If you have the shell and just need to know what nail is required for the cartridge, need pics of the cartridge. Those use a standard 1/2" mount so it could be basically anything.

Hello,
Thanks for your email. I have the head shell. Just need to know what the replacement is for the cartridge and stylus. The cartridge has no part number just B and O written on the back of it.
A modern substitute would probably be a good choice.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

See pic of the B and O cartridge. (There's no stylus in it)

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 17
I’m surprised someone would use a B&O cart on the Type A. I would think it would like to track much lighter than that arm would want.
Also, I’m betting the B&O’s stylus is hard to come by now.
This might be a tough sell on the Type A.
 
I use an Empire 880 on my Garrard Type A. Has the flat mounting brackets so can use original screws. I bought brass 6 British Association 6BA screws from UK and cut to length. When new Allied Radio offered the Type A with a choice of an Empire 880, Shure M3D, Pickering U38AT or a Knight KN-505X. The Empire and Pickering used the short screws, whereas the others used longer screws. It is fun to use correct period cartridges on your tt.
 
Looks like the head shell is identical to my Type A70 Mk2. As spicer mentioned, most standard half inch carts will work, with the exception of those that have a built in thread for the mounting bolts, and need to mount through the top of the head shell.

The AT3600L would definitely work, and should track ok with that tonearm ($25). The LP Gear CF3600LE offers an upgraded elliptical stylus on the same carbon fiber cantilever - $50. They also offer an AT95C with that CF cantilever (tracks 2-3 gms) - $30. Something that tracks fairly heavy will be key for that arm.


Hi knotscott,

Thanks a lot for the info!

Here's a pic of the old B and O . Just wondering how your suggestions will fit the head shell or do I need a different one.

Cheers,
Chris
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for clarifying...I believe you're correct....Type A Mk II. Are the head shells identical?. They look it to me.
A and AII are the same, the A70 shares a shell with the Lab 80.

Here's a pic of the old B and O . Just wondering how your suggestions will fit the head shell or do I need a different one.

the headshell is what you're stuck with. Any 1/2" mount cartridge will mount to that. I run a Stanton 680e.v3 DJ cartridge in one of mine, the other one has a Pickering V15, which is a twin to the Stanton 500. If you use something that needs longer screws, they exist, you just have to buy the right ones.

The spacers should remain in the headshell though. Normally those have a male thread on one end and a tapped hole at the other. If yours is just a hollow spacer, someone has done something odd and replaced the original parts. Either way, if you put it back together in the same basic manner it was assembled originally it'll work.


some quick poking around says the B&O runs at 2 grams, which does seem too light to me. Kind of an odd choice to be sure.
 
Hello,
Thanks for your email. I have the head shell. Just need to know what the replacement is for the cartridge and stylus. The cartridge has no part number just B and O written on the back of it.
A modern substitute would probably be a good choice.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

See pic of the B and O cartridge. (There's no stylus in it)

Thanks!
Phanstiehl 262 or 263, Astatic N192, Electro-Voice PM2410, Walco 548STD or 549STD. Good cartridge but, as others have said, maybe track too lightly (2gm) for this table. The stylus aren't cheap either...........
 
Back
Top Bottom