• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Getting older - Did your music taste change? I think mine is starting to. why?

If you're from Metro Detroit and approximately my age you're pretty much required to be a fan. Everyone in town has a story about him, or more often, Kim. The 90's were wild.

Oh I bet!!!

I like a lot of his early stuff, and the track "Beautiful" not a big fan of his modern stuff. I do have his last album but I did not think it was that great. 97 Bonny and Clyde is was also a fun track.
 
Last edited:
mine has changed quite a bit, from 60s / 80s rock to blues, i guess i can only get excited and listen to the same stuff for so long

I think that’s what has been happening to me. I truly think I just hit an age that some tracks just don’t do anything for me anymore and I need to find new music.
 
Big fan of 90's rock and alternative, classic rock, jazz, soft rock, classic rock, some 90's hip hop.
My taste in music changed with every new woman in my life!

Then, I woke up...

ed15f0a7-d612-4a81-82e7-7cf817adc67b.gif
 
So as of lately I have been getting into older live performances, and what is odd is I use to hate live music. I still do not like going to see live bands, but I am finding that I have really been loving older live shows.

Really been getting into Simply Red, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Elvis, Stevie B, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, and oddly enough Dave Matthews.

I have also been really enjoying songs that seem to be sad or dreary.

The track "Lady" by Lionel Richie and Kenny Rogers, and the track Elephant by Jason Isbell have really been hitting the spot for some reason.

I am finding that more upbeat music is just annoying to me, I want soul and R&B and good vocals with a sad guitar.

Have been doing a lot of Eva Cassidy the pat few days too.

Enjoying the change but find it a little odd that the music i use to love has seemed to lost its luster to me.
 
So as of lately I have been getting into older live performances, and what is odd is I use to hate live music. I still do not like going to see live bands, but I am finding that I have really been loving older live shows.

Really been getting into Simply Red, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Elvis, Stevie B, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, and oddly enough Dave Matthews.

I have also been really enjoying songs that seem to be sad or dreary.

The track "Lady" by Lionel Richie and Kenny Rogers, and the track Elephant by Jason Isbell have really been hitting the spot for some reason.

I am finding that more upbeat music is just annoying to me, I want soul and R&B and good vocals with a sad guitar.

Have been doing a lot of Eva Cassidy the pat few days too.

Enjoying the change but find it a little odd that the music i use to love has seemed to lost its luster to me.

Don't you think it would be boring to sit and listen to the same 100 songs over and over again, for your whole life, when it's probably <0.001% of what's out there? You can still go back to old stuff, just wait till you want to hear it again. I've had 20 year gaps between plays of some of my records. If you're worried about getting older, eat properly, exercise, and go to the doctor regularly... but listen to whatever music you want to, it's nothing to worry about.
 
Last edited:
Don't you think it would be boring to sit and listen to the same 100 songs over and over again, for your whole life, when it's probably <0.001% of what's out there? You can still go back to old stuff, just wait till you want to hear it again. I've had 20 year gaps between plays of some of my records. If you're worried about getting older, eat properly, exercise, and go to the doctor regularly... but listen to whatever music you want to, it's nothing to worry about.
I can listen to 10–100 songs on repeat if they are excellent and brilliantly performed; in fact, I have about 50 LPs, and that’s pretty much all I listen to. I also have a few dozen CDs and a few hours of music downloaded on my phone, but otherwise, I care very little about current music.
 
Don't you think it would be boring to sit and listen to the same 100 songs over and over again, for your whole life, when it's probably <0.001% of what's out there? You can still go back to old stuff, just wait till you want to hear it again. I've had 20 year gaps between plays of some of my records. If you're worried about getting older, eat properly, exercise, and go to the doctor regularly... but listen to whatever music you want to, it's nothing to worry about.

No as I have OCD, and can listen to the same track on loop for hours and not grow tired of it.

Im not worried about getting older? Where did I claim to be worried about anything? I said its odd that my music choices are changing as I age. This is new to me, yes i know i can still go back to the old stuff, that is not a question. The issue is I am not really liking the old stuff as I use to, even with breaks, and I find that I am listening to stuff that I would usually not, stuff that I know I disliked but now like.
 
No as I have OCD, and can listen to the same track on loop for hours and not grow tired of it.

Ha - I could never do that, except maybe as a child. It's actually one of my pet peeves of audio shows and audiophiles, when they play the same tracks again and again.... I've seen 6 figure systems with such a tiny music collection. One group which I can't listen to anymore on account of this phenomenon is the Dire Straits.

Im not worried about getting older? Where did I claim to be worried about anything? I said its odd that my music choices are changing as I age. This is new to me, yes i know i can still go back to the old stuff, that is not a question. The issue is I am not really liking the old stuff as I use to, even with breaks, and I find that I am listening to stuff that I would usually not, stuff that I know I disliked but now like.

Ok, maybe worried was the wrong word.
 
Ha - I could never do that, except maybe as a child. It's actually one of my pet peeves of audio shows and audiophiles, when they play the same tracks again and again.... I've seen 6 figure systems with such a tiny music collection. One group which I can't listen to anymore on account of this phenomenon is the Dire Straits.



Ok, maybe worried was the wrong word.

Good music is timeless, what I am getting at in this thread is a clear change in the style of music I listen to as I age. As for folks playing the same DS "Brothers in arms" album that is not the same as to what I am talking about. That would fall under listeners fatigue. Its not fatigue I am experiencing, its change.

When I was in my 20's I was more into metal, and rock and some hip-hop but mostly rock and alternative. As of lately I have not been able to listen to a lot of the stuff I use to love. I have had a love for older music as well, there are a lot of tracks from the 60s and 70s that I use to love but just cant take anymore. Aerosmith for example, I use to be a big fan of Aerosmith, but lately I cant seem to get into them. I do like the cover of Pink they did on Howard Stern but even that I have to be in the mood for.

Lately I have been getting into Jackie Gleason, and different instrumental and jazz albums. I find myself switching tracks if the temp is to fast. Was am a big Ozzy fan, but just cant finish one track.

A little different from worrying about getting older, its more so what causes us to shift gears?
 
A little different from worrying about getting older, its more so what causes us to shift gears?
With age and experience come wisdom. I listen to tons of stuff that I didn't like or didn't bother with years ago. The more you listen to music the more you appreciate the artistry I think.

I was a huge NIN and Ministry fan in HS. Don't really enjoy it much 30 years later, unless I'm angry about something.
 
With age and experience come wisdom. I listen to tons of stuff that I didn't like or didn't bother with years ago. The more you listen to music the more you appreciate the artistry I think.

I was a huge NIN and Ministry fan in HS. Don't really enjoy it much 30 years later, unless I'm angry about something.
'... unless I'm angry about something.' Hmmm... yeah, isn't that interesting.
 
I believe mine evolved. I knew I was stuck in the 80's & 90's but didn't know how to break out of it.

Don't get me wrong...I liked what I was listening to. It was like putting on that favorite sweater and comfortable mocs, settling in with a fine bourbon next to the fire. Comfortable. Familiar. Understood. Remembered. Just like old times.

But I began to get restless. I could not listen to any of those songs all the way through. I was skipping in and out of tracks like I was playing a game of Whack A Mole.

Fortunately, an acquaintance of mine dug out her 2000 - 2010 collection and had me listen. Bright. Entertaining. Some Real Eye Openers. My collection grew and my horizons broadened. I'm still investigating new artists and genres which has added to my playlists. With those additions, I heard much less of my old collection over and over again, which re-awakened my appreciation for that music once again.

Recently, this search for new music has even led me down the AI rabbit hole. I was skeptical at first and held back, not wanting to waste my time. I found, however, that I was missing out. New music, even AI generated, has expanded my collection once again.

I don't focus on the videos but do listen to the music. It has it's own particular appeal, at least to me, and it scratches that itch to keep moving forward.

Case in point:

 
Last edited:
I believe mine evolved. I knew I was stuck in the 80's & 90's but didn't know how to break out of it.

Don't get me wrong...I liked what I was listening to. It was like putting on that favorite sweater and comfortable mocs, settling in with a fine bourbon next to the fire. Comfortable. Familiar. Understood. Remembered. Just like old times.

But I began to get restless. I could not listen to any of those songs all the way through. I was skipping in and out of tracks like I was playing a game of Whack A Mole.

Fortunately, an acquaintance of mine dug out here 2000 - 2010 collection and had me listen. Bright. Entertaining. Some Real Eye Openers. My collection grew and my horizons broadened. I'm still investigating new artists and genres which has added to my playlists. With those additions, I heard much less of my old collection over and over again, which re-awakened my appreciation for that music once again.

Recently, this search for new music has even led me down the AI rabbit hole. I was skeptical at first and held back, not wanting to waste my time. I found, however, that I was missing out. New music, even AI generated, has expanded my collection once again.

I don't focus on the videos but do listen to the music. It has it's own particular appeal, at least to me, and it scratches that itch to keep moving forward.

Case in point:


Man, that is exactly how it has been for me!! I made a post about getting into AI music as well and some member got upset over it, was really odd. I’ll tag you in the post in a minute.

Your post really sums up what’s been going on for me. I can’t make it through older tracks and find myself skipping half way through the song, restless is a great way to describe it. That’s so spot on!

Just not sure what triggered it, or what brought it on. It’s not a matter of just listening to the same thing, as the new music I listen to I play on repeat and listen to them daily.

It like one day I just got over it, or there was a switched switched off.

I’ve been playing LPs and cassette to force myself to not just swipe on my phone. Seems to help but some tracks are just unbearable.

I like bourbon and that also seems to help with the listening seasons. I know that has nothing to do with anything but you mentioned bourbon :)

Anyway great post and it’s good to see someone experienced exactly what I am currently working on.
 
I don't think my taste in music has changed, but I keep discovering music that suits my taste even though previously I used to think it didn't (or I simply didn't know about).
It doesn't happen the other way around. I mean if I liked a certain piece forty years ago, I still like it today.
 
Last edited:
A little different from worrying about getting older, its more so what causes us to shift gears?

I'm not sure what is is either.

Of course I still have my audiophile staples, "test discs" as I call them so my partner doesn't get too upset with me (she's never complained), but I agree, some of the stuff we loved doesn't press the same "feel" buttons it once did.

What I've found is most useful is to pull out albums you haven't listened to for years (or decades), ones that really were a soundtrack to a particular time in your life, and then indulge the path they take you on - as you meander through a whole bunch of (often emotional) stuff that you'd kinda put behind you.

For me, it's physical media, so you have to think, go to the section/drawer/box and find the next disc/LP before the last one finishes. Almost like a DJ in your own head.

But there is unfortunately a distinct opposition to "new" music due to many of the artists I love/loved having decreased their output or sadly, passed on. When that happens, it's almost like "I was waiting for the next album and it never came" and I feel I cannot relate to a lot of "current" music, although I try.
 
Yes; thankfully a good deal of my tastes have changed over the years. At one time blasting Foghat Slow Ride at keg parties was a cool thing to do. That nonsense didn't last long and now I couldn't imagine doing either one.
 
I have yet to get bored with my music selections. Most of the older stuff I listen to takes me back to younger days....and I like reminiscing. I listen to very little new music. I have no interest in most of it. Rap doesn't work for me......I can't deal with most of the lyrics, and I am an OLD SAILOR! :rflmao:New country is just rap about cows. I will admit, some new artists, and I use that term very loosely, have sparked my interest. But not enough for me to throw away my Hair Band albums!! SO I guess I am an old stuck in the mud, gonna listen to Fooled Around and Fell in Love and remember the HS girls!
This is how I feel exactly (also an old sailor). I'm 62 and love listening to old tunes from my youth. In the late 70's to early 80's it was fashionable in my circle to hate disco music. A few years ago my wife and I stumbled upon a Bee Gees concert on PBS. We ended up watching the entire thing and really enjoyed it. Next day I ordered a Bee Gee's CD. Some of those old friends would have something to say- lol.
In the late 80's country and western music and clubs was making a comeback in this area. I started seeing a girl who listened only to C&W. This was back when Alan Jackson, Clinton Black, Garth Brooks, etc were becoming extremely popular. I picked up on that style of music for several years. It was a time when I didn't care for much new pop / rock music coming out.
Sometime in the early 90's, I returned to my rock and roll roots and listened mostly to classic rock and what I would call oldies. I still like the C&W from the early 90's but it seemed more and more since then, the genre has become watered down with nasaly vocals and almost no steel guitars or fiddles. To me, all current country singers sound the same, especially the females.
I listen to many types of music from. Old rock and roll, classic R&B, old classic country, swing jazz like Sinatra or Dean Martin, classic New Orleans R&B - Ernie K Doe, Alan Toussaint, Lee Dorsey, Fats Domino, etc.
I cannot stand itchy-scratchy hip hop. Rap with over done autotune, and dumb lyrics do not appeal to me. I do listen to more various genres than I did when I was younger just not current country or hip hop.
 
This is how I feel exactly (also an old sailor). I'm 62 and love listening to old tunes from my youth. In the late 70's to early 80's it was fashionable in my circle to hate disco music. A few years ago my wife and I stumbled upon a Bee Gees concert on PBS. We ended up watching the entire thing and really enjoyed it. Next day I ordered a Bee Gee's CD. Some of those old friends would have something to say- lol.
In the late 80's country and western music and clubs was making a comeback in this area. I started seeing a girl who listened only to C&W. This was back when Alan Jackson, Clinton Black, Garth Brooks, etc were becoming extremely popular. I picked up on that style of music for several years. It was a time when I didn't care for much new pop / rock music coming out.
Sometime in the early 90's, I returned to my rock and roll roots and listened mostly to classic rock and what I would call oldies. I still like the C&W from the early 90's but it seemed more and more since then, the genre has become watered down with nasaly vocals and almost no steel guitars or fiddles. To me, all current country singers sound the same, especially the females.
I listen to many types of music from. Old rock and roll, classic R&B, old classic country, swing jazz like Sinatra or Dean Martin, classic New Orleans R&B - Ernie K Doe, Alan Toussaint, Lee Dorsey, Fats Domino, etc.
I cannot stand itchy-scratchy hip hop. Rap with over done autotune, and dumb lyrics do not appeal to me. I do listen to more various genres than I did when I was younger just not current country or hip hop.

Careful on not liking hip hop or rap, Had a member threaten to block me for not liking hip hop or rap. Even tho its your choice, I guess we all need to like the same thing right? I say that jokingly, I too dislike modern hip hop and rap. Its trash set to music if you ask me.

I miss the 90's and 90's country. I had Pam Tillis playing just the other day and I truly enjoyed it.

What you mentioned about some friends having some things to say about liking the Bee Gee's is funny. That's the same for me and Dave Matthews. I hated him as a teen, I still cant take his voice but for whatever reason I am starting to get into him. A few friends from HS Matt and Darrick would be punching me in the arm right about now. Probably call me a few names that are not politically correct any more, and we'd laugh and move on. Man I would give anything to go back to the late 80s and just live it all over. Man we had it good!
 
When I was younger, I did not pay much attention to Jazz, Blues, and Rockabilly. At some point I began to like them all.

About the same time, my interest in Reggae waned. Nothing against it, but not much motivation to seek it out.
 
Back
Top Bottom