• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Going Digital!

Ok....let me look into that format once I get back to the house. Unless some else be me to it.

In a minute!

Now........, that's wuz's up.

It's bad enough that I sat here for the longest trying to narrow down the best audio software to work with Mac?, as I'm trying to go totally headless with a monitor in my listening area, so I was told that said Audirvana Plus along with Amarra and Pure Music were my safer options and that JRiver was an afterthought - but are the only ones that offer a remote app that can be used on either one of my iPads, so I'm stuck like a deer in oncoming headlights..........., what to do?, which way do I turn?, or should I just lay down and play dead?, oops!, wrong animal all together.

But I'm open-minded enough to learn, so educate me on said matters.

Until then.
 
Now........, that's wuz's up.

It's bad enough that I sat here for the longest trying to narrow down the best audio software to work with Mac?, as I'm trying to go totally headless with a monitor in my listening area, so I was told that said Audirvana Plus along with Amarra and Pure Music were my safer options and that JRiver was an afterthought - but are the only ones that offer a remote app that can be used on either one of my iPads, so I'm stuck like a deer in oncoming headlights..........., what to do?, which way do I turn?, or should I just lay down and play dead?, oops!, wrong animal all together.

But I'm open-minded enough to learn, so educate me on said matters.

Until then.

You could use any program you want and then use a screen sharing app like Spashtop to access the Mac from an ipad. That's what I have been doing thus far.
 
You could use any program you want and then use a screen sharing app like Spashtop to access the Mac from an ipad. That's what I have been doing thus far.

Hi marantzfan,

I paid for and downloaded the $9.99 Spashtop App from the Mac Store and guess what?, I still haven't figured it out either. It was saying on our bedroom flatscreen it wasn't able to find the computer.........., am I missing something?.

Where are those smart little 2 year olds whom can do this stuff in their sleep, when you need them?.

I just don't want to sit here paying for up to 3 different audio software downloads and find that one sounds much much much better then the other two, which would then mean a waste of time/effort and money.

Once again, all I've to go on is what I read on different forums and most Mac users seem to prefer Audirvana + to JRiver, but seem to live Amarra and Pure Music just as much. If I've to have someone else install this and resolve it for me next month, so be it.

The most important factor is that I'm listening to beautiful music, whether PCM or DSD and enjoying it, but as a few guys here have said " it gets better with DSD 128 " and I don't doubt that for a moment..........., But, I can't fake what I don't understand, teach me.

God permits..........., I'll get there.
 
X2 on Splashtop.
I've got that and the apple mouse and I'm golden.

Understood..........., I've the Magic Keyboard and Trackpad set up in our bedroom where I downloads tunes from our 60", as I'm not trying to even locate a small 23" monitor anywhere near our system, but am not familiar with how to even use this app either.........., man I miss vinyl. My bad, wrong thread.

Once again, I'll come together in due time I trust.
 
Hi marantzfan,

I paid for and downloaded the $9.99 Spashtop App from the Mac Store and guess what?, I still haven't figured it out either. It was saying on our bedroom flatscreen it wasn't able to find the computer.........., am I missing something?.

Where are those smart little 2 year olds whom can do this stuff in their sleep, when you need them?.

I just don't want to sit here paying for up to 3 different audio software downloads and find that one sounds much much much better then the other two, which would then mean a waste of time/effort and money.

Once again, all I've to go on is what I read on different forums and most Mac users seem to prefer Audirvana + to JRiver, but seem to live Amarra and Pure Music just as much. If I've to have someone else install this and resolve it for me next month, so be it.

The most important factor is that I'm listening to beautiful music, whether PCM or DSD and enjoying it, but as a few guys here have said " it gets better with DSD 128 " and I don't doubt that for a moment..........., But, I can't fake what I don't understand, teach me.

God permits..........., I'll get there.

From everything I have read, HQPlayer is a cut above every other software out there but it is NOT easy to get used to. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but that is where I am going very, very soon. I've done ALOT of research and everything I have read points to HQPlayer being having the best sound quality, especially when converting Redbook to DSD128 on the fly.

I know that at least one member here at AK is doing this (Billfort) and he has shared his opinions various times here on AK including, I believe, in this thread.

My understanding is that Jriver allows you to convert Redbook to DSD128 as well and that it sounds pretty good doing it as well. Also, Jriver has a remote app which I'm sure makes it much easier to use. This might be the best route for you if you don't feel like fighting an uphill battle with tech. :yes:
 
Re; Splashtop
After I installed the app on my I-pad, I remember you have to install something(for free) on your mac-mini that lets your paid app on the I-pad 'see' the mac mini.
It confused me too. It's a nice app because you can control anything on your mac.
You'll get it, waiting sucks but it will be nice once it's all sorted.
At least you're listening to music, I've ripped about 700cd's and don't have a DAC yet.
ARRGGHH!
 
From everything I have read, HQPlayer is a cut above every other software out there but it is NOT easy to get used to. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but that is where I am going very, very soon. I've done ALOT of research and everything I have read points to HQPlayer being having the best sound quality, especially when converting Redbook to DSD128 on the fly.

I know that at least one member here at AK is doing this (Billfort) and he has shared his opinions various times here on AK including, I believe, in this thread.

My understanding is that Jriver allows you to convert Redbook to DSD128 as well and that it sounds pretty good doing it as well. Also, Jriver has a remote app which I'm sure makes it much easier to use. This might be the best route for you if you don't feel like fighting an uphill battle with tech. :yes:

Very valid points on all counts, and taking into consideration that I already have said JRemote installed, I might as well give it a shot. And having heard a great deal about Billfort much praised HQ Player ID imagine it's a very very wise investment for those more adapt to using said programs, while leaving the simpler options to old dogs like myself, where it seems that old adage about teaching us new tricks does hold weight after all.

Bow Wow.

Thanks for the extra insight into true matters yet once again.

Be well marantzfan.

 
From everything I have read, HQPlayer is a cut above every other software out there but it is NOT easy to get used to. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but that is where I am going very, very soon. I've done ALOT of research and everything I have read points to HQPlayer being having the best sound quality, especially when converting Redbook to DSD128 on the fly.

I know that at least one member here at AK is doing this (Billfort) and he has shared his opinions various times here on AK including, I believe, in this thread.

My understanding is that Jriver allows you to convert Redbook to DSD128 as well and that it sounds pretty good doing it as well. Also, Jriver has a remote app which I'm sure makes it much easier to use. This might be the best route for you if you don't feel like fighting an uphill battle with tech. :yes:
k

I've tried HQPlayer. I didn't get the same results. As Billfort. But I only had a few days with it....I may revist it later.
 
Okay fellas, I'm about to test Byron's hearing by sending him what I hear as a remarkable USB in that Neutral Cable basic version ( the blue one ) that set me back $150 shipped from Italy, as mentioned to B..........., I've come across what I hear as great investments in sonics at lower prices from the likes of the AudioPrism QuietLine ( which lead me to investigate Isotek Systems Neoplug and prefer them, as I only need a total of 3 in or around my system ) - an Oyaide R1 AC Outlet - and said USB Cable, which have in hindsight all capable of taking the sonic level of my system that much closer to what I now consider a synergistically balanced approach beyond anything I'd have imagined short of having spent an extra $30.000.

While many discuss the importance of line distributors/conditioners very few really mention noise filters that actually remove unheard, yet still present sounds as they contaminate our mains, but it's upon inserting said devices like the QuietLine or PS Audio Noise Harvesters along with a few more costier units that one becomes aware of what's been missing the whole time.

While I don't might spending say $1.200 on a great sounding IC that matches my system, it's when I come across these simple, yet effective devices for less then $200 - $300 that cause me reason enough to want to share my joy. Anyways, I'll be sending the cable off to Byron on Thursday, and have told him already..........., I only took me a mere 5 minutes to know that I couldn't go back to the WW Staright 7, or even their more costly version called the Silver Platinum 7 which this was compared to, and it was returned the following morning, as I didn't need 10 days to hear what was to my ears a purer - truer sense of tonality and balance that caused me to sit there for 13 hours just amazed at what was obviously right about this design, and where others should be made aware.........., but I ask that you sit back and await Byron's findings for yourselves - good, bad or indifferent, only time shall tell.

Enjoy the show.
 
Re; Splashtop
After I installed the app on my I-pad, I remember you have to install something(for free) on your mac-mini that lets your paid app on the I-pad 'see' the mac mini.
It confused me too. It's a nice app because you can control anything on your mac.
You'll get it, waiting sucks but it will be nice once it's all sorted.
At least you're listening to music, I've ripped about 700cd's and don't have a DAC yet.
ARRGGHH!

Thanks for sharing the tip, frankbooth,

It's greatly appreciated, and why are you sitting there without even owning one of the iFi DACs?, man.............., you don't know what you're missing, even with my standard iTunes music library I'm in heaven, hold on............., why I'm I feeling heat behind me?, and why so much fire?.

My, I've made a wrong turn somewhere..........
 
Bro...I look forward to listening to the USb cable...and I assure you, I can hear! And as I've mentioned to you on several occasions, I've built one of those systems that's transparent through and through...what ever I connect to it, I can hear it. So yeah, I'd love to see what that USB cable will do and if it can unseat the WW starlight 7 I'm using. I understand you said it does, but remember, one must factor in the other components as well as other cables. Surely you know cables are system dependent, so if I comes up with a different verdict than you....it doesn't mean your cable is bad....only that they are system dependent. And lest I forget, thanks for the opportunity mi man!

But I'd have every one know once again....the iFI Micro is truly remarkable at its price point. My sound is truly reference quality....there is no edge or screeching with high frequencies. If fact high frequencies are clear and transparent as they aught to be using tubes. So if Oscars cable is better, I'm sure it will be better by way of refinement! And if so, it must be by more than a small incrament. If the cable is worthy, I will gladly say so, and I will purchase one. So at $150, and takes a month to get it shipped from Italy...its gots to best the Starlight 7 by more than a small increment....especially considering I only needed a half foot of the Starlight 7 which only set me back less than $50.

So thanks for the kindness of sending the Neutral USB Cable. I'm really excited now!
 
Bro...I look forward to listening to the USb cable...and I assure you, I can hear! And as I've mentioned to you on several occasions, I've built one of those systems that's transparent through and through...what ever I connect to it, I can hear it. So yeah, I'd love to see what that USB cable will do and if it can unseat the WW starlight 7 I'm using. I understand you said it does, but remember, one must factor in the other components as well as other cables. Surely you know cables are system dependent, so if I comes up with a different verdict than you....it doesn't mean your cable is bad....only that they are system dependent. And lest I forget, thanks for the opportunity mi man!

But I'd have every one know once again....the iFI Micro is truly remarkable at its price point. My sound is truly reference quality....there is no edge or screeching with high frequencies. If fact high frequencies are clear and transparent as they aught to be using tubes. So if Oscars cable is better, I'm sure it will be better by way of refinement! And if so, it must be by more than a small incrament. If the cable is worthy, I will gladly say so, and I will purchase one. So at $150, and takes a month to get it shipped from Italy...its gots to best the Starlight 7 by more than a small increment....especially considering I only needed a half foot of the Starlight 7 which only set me back less than $50.

So thanks for the kindness of sending the Neutral USB Cable. I'm really excited now!

Brotha B,

Man, I boxed it up last night and will have Michelle ship it off in another 6 hours or so, and as stated you're one of a hand full of guys I've met along the ways, that I believe can hear said differences, and of course I'm all to aware cables are system dependant - but wasn't I right about the TWLs?, Tubes?, AC Outlet?, Sound Anchors Stands?, and im still riding you on the isolation devices.........., man we both hear more alike then not.........., and I'm certain this won't be any different.

And hopefully it shall make your head turn 360 degrees like Linda Blair's one did so many moons ago!, but and its a huge but.............., I'm willing to bet you it's going to rock your world.

But time shall tell all........., just buckle up and prepare for the ride, it's coming in how.

Peace,
O_o scar
 
Off topic, but something of importance to some none the less.

Byron stresses the issue of system dependency with cabling looms, yet I beg to differ in said case. I believe there are generalizations based upon what any given system needs if one merely takes the time to understand its sound - one should look to match their interfacing technique between ones amp and speakers first, as impedance plays a vital role in how the music passes onto said speakers without causing stress upon the amp in question.

But let's say one has an amp that leans towards the more analytical side ( slightly right ) of neutral and comes across as aggressive or overly bright in nature, then common sense would dictate a warmer/richer/creamier type of presentation is needed to slow or tame things down a tad, hence copper fits the bill.

On the other hand ones speakers are somewhat lead or threadbare throughout the midrange - the same trick applies here as well, but know that not all Copper wiring is equal, therein comes the set of rules according to methods of drawing Copper, as well as its grading - hence the lowest one should be looking at for a better sense of fidelity is say 5N Graded Copper, and when possible pursue 7N, as it's all about eliminating imperfections within the Copper itself that alters the sonic overall signatures good or bad, in other words it's purity as heard between stranded or solid core designs, once again these things matter.

Yet when taken from the other side of the coin, or spectrum and someone owns a rather refined/smooth/laid-back sounding amp, and wonders what to do to add attack/snap/detail/resolution?, then Silver or Silver plated Copper or Gold either pure or in some Hybrid form is called upon to restore balance, as it brings a greater articulation to said overly mellowing effect, one that I usually call " Sleepy Time " like when you've worked extremely hard that day, and upon entering your home after work the only thing you want is a pillow and a blanket, that sort of musical presentation is not allowed in our home, not alone in our distinct, or township.

Yet, it's not about the actual cost of either of these cables, in so much as how they're implemented or how they're voiced - if they're actually quality cables to begin with?, or merely purchased off of a spool from China or Taiwan makes for all the differences in said signatures as well. I'm not for a moment saying that either of these countries can't produce quality cables, but it's better to know if the designer is being honest enough to admit their origins and then price accordingly based upon said facts as opposed to charging upscaled prices as if the contained Platinum that had been slow rolled and aged for a hundred years.

I see this as a challenge to anyone's common sense, much like I see people pursuing the usual suspects of tubes as if they were the only ones in existence by buying only Amperex - Mullard's and Telefunken's, when in fact each of these can be bettered sonically by much lesser known or costly tubes brands........, or more importantly by certain factories versus others, as that should be the deciding factor.........., sonic transparency and neutrality as well as resolution as opposed to designer labels.

Yet many don't see these tubes as system dependent, but they are.........., just because it's the hip thing to buy, doesn't mean it's the best sounding combination of tubes for your system, and yes.........., it's the combinations of tubes flavoring so that create ones own sound, lest you and someone else you know whom happen to own the same system down to the wires, think you're onto something by following one another's lead?, I think not.

But some might wonder what am I getting at when this is meant to be about the iFi Audio Products?, it's my little means of saying how each of us voices our system to suit of own biases and/or taste matters more then merely following suit, why go through the trouble of hearing a very very very very well matched system at your dealers, and not then mimic in detail everything in his system, instead of buying the Source or Amplification, yet not the same cables - cartridge and speakers?. If said system got my approval.........., more often then not if I'm able to afford it to begin with?, my words are " Ship It " or " Box It Up ".

Said iDSD/iUSB Power are deserving of this same attention to detail, and all I'm trying to get at before I sign off is, every little bit of detailing counts on unlocking once again, what I believe many of us reading Byron's thread hear as a means to an end..........., literally, provided one spend the funds where needed.

Salaam, and as always forgive me for being the overly expressive, and off topic sort of fella, but I do like speaking my mind, and then some it seems.
 
Brotha B,

Man, I boxed it up last night and will have Michelle ship it off in another 6 hours or so, and as stated you're one of a hand full of guys I've met along the ways, that I believe can hear said differences, and of course I'm all to aware cables are system dependant - but wasn't I right about the TWLs?, Tubes?, AC Outlet?, Sound Anchors Stands?, and im still riding you on the isolation devices.........., man we both hear more alike then not.........., and I'm certain this won't be any different.

And hopefully it shall make your head turn 360 degrees like Linda Blair's one did so many moons ago!, but and its a huge but.............., I'm willing to bet you it's going to rock your world.

But time shall tell all........., just buckle up and prepare for the ride, it's coming in how.

Peace,
O_o scar

Mi Bro...trust me, if it's as you say, I will say so. And you know what? Ima put it through the DSD128 test....for me that will be the ultimate standard.
 
Mi Bro...trust me, if it's as you say, I will say so. And you know what? Ima put it through the DSD128 test....for me that will be the ultimate standard.

Man, you know that I'm going forward to hearing your impressions as it stands........, and I won't expect you to sugar coat it out of respect for your elder, keep it real, that's all that I can ask.

Later Mi Brotha.

:sigh:
 
Ok fellas! I've Oscars Neutral cable and listened for about 5 minutes...played partial songs on both the Wireworld Starlight 7 as well as the Neutral Cable. I can gladly tell you both cables do what they do very well....neither cable is missing any detail or resolution. Well the Starlight 7 is. But I can gladly tell you, the Neutral Cable simply does it better than the WireWorld Starlight 7. The Neutral cable gives a more resolution as well as body. The cables to my ears have the same sound Signiture which can be due to the other cables in my system, but the neutral Cable is almost as if it's the bigger brother to the Starlight. It has more resolution and more body....better refinement. While the Wireworld is good the Neutral is better. Looks like I may be ordering one of these.

Thanks Oscar....you see, you thought I was going to blast you, but naw, you are correct to suggest this cable is better. But I'd say the difference is the resolution which leads to a better overal experience and musical enjoyment.:yes:

Il get these to you after I run them in for you....I think the guy over in Italy told me they have 150 hours run in time...so that's ruffly, with my schedule..about 1 month.:thmbsp:
 
Ok fellas! I've Oscars Neutral cable and listened for about 5 minutes...played partial songs on both the Wireworld Starlight 7 as well as the Neutral Cable. I can gladly tell you both cables do what they do very well....neither cable is missing any detail or resolution. Well the Starlight 7 is. But I can gladly tell you, the Neutral Cable simply does it better than the WireWorld Starlight 7. The Neutral cable gives a more resolution as well as body. The cables to my ears have the same sound Signiture which can be due to the other cables in my system, but the neutral Cable is almost as if it's the bigger brother to the Starlight. It has more resolution and more body....better refinement. While the Wireworld is good the Neutral is better. Looks like I may be ordering one of these.

Thanks Oscar....you see, you thought I was going to blast you, but naw, you are correct to suggest this cable is better. But I'd say the difference is the resolution which leads to a better overal experience and musical enjoyment.:yes:

Il get these to you after I run them in for you....I think the guy over in Italy told me they have 150 hours run in time...so that's ruffly, with my schedule..about 1 month.:thmbsp:

You've determined all that from a five minute listen? You're clearly a lot better at this than I am. ;)
 
Oh...it don't take long....after 5 minute I knew what was up....now of course I'm still listening and initial observations where confirmed. If interested you could buy either cable....the one from Italy takes about a month to get here, or if you interested in half meter Wireworld, I've one for you at a great price..only 2 weeks old.
 
Back
Top Bottom