• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Going Digital!

Bro....I have no problem with your "tell all" about iFI products.....its a great bang for buck no brainer! And I really enjoyed your review.....AMR, the parent company of iFI is on to something, and doing a new thing it seems. They've sorta come out of no where to take the hobby by storm with their gear.

And yes....with the new addition of the i5 engine in the HP.....its added new drive to the music.....the iFI Micro seems incapable of make such wonderful music, but its all true...these products are about the best bang for buck I've ever heard.

Brotha B,

Thanks for allowing me to speak aloud on certain matters as they relate to either cabling needs or items from this wonderful company, once again.........., I don't get a penny for endorsing their wares, but it's rewarding to have someone whom has only been to our home twice, think enough on what he had heard during these home visits to actually take it upon himself to pursue something from said company for his/their own home - and it's weird, but nice how I've noticed over the years of working with many foreigners, but they always seem to bring some sort of wine and chocolates with them when coming by.........., which I see as a very kind gesture.

But to hear how he and his wife enjoys listening to music even more with the arrival of something with tubes and a DAC in it, which allows them both to hear their downloads much more involving then what she states was a 600 w/pc all in one system from Macy's really said it all, and I'm just glad that I was in a position to help.

And, it doesn't bother me in the least that you're down there " Cream-Puffing ", because man there are times when I find myself crying while listening to tunes from back in the day, that brings back wonderful memories, in most cases the wife usually looks at me and says............, it's okay, you get it ( meaning the messages within the lyrics that is ) like that song done by the Perri Sisters called " I Don't Have No Place To Go " ( about the possibilities of being homeless ) talk about feelings coming out, and feeling sorry for those whom have had to endure homelessness is sad enough, to make any sane person grateful for what we/they have.

Anywho.........., life's good, yet we all can lose it in a heartbeat. So enjoy our choices - our health and our loved ones while we still can..........., and of equal importance, enjoy listening to tunes through decent wares, as the better they get, the better they're able to connect to ones very soul.

Later Brotha B. Lest I write another journal.

:scratch2:_o scar
 
I have the iFi Nano on order. We shall see :D

Hi Dave,

Now that's what I'm talking about........, someone whom is willing to see/hear what all the fuss has been about!, and seeming that you're down the road from me, if you need to demo a few USB cables?, all you've to do is ask.

But you know what?, as I've sat here just enjoying what this device does more and more with each passing day, in my mind it's one of the greatest investments that I've made for myself short of my wife. In other words, I shall live both till we part.

Please share your findings once it has arrived?, until then.

:yes:_o scar
 
We shall see. My PC has a 192/24 DAC already (EES Sabre chip) so we shall see if I can hear a difference or not :D

My wife does say I have a good tin ear :lmao:


We shall see Dave, we shall see.

Personally I don't think that it'll be difficult in the least. But I'm watching........
 
I have been following this tread for a while . It sounds like the ifi micro dsd is the best thing since sliced bread. I ordered one yesterday . I have the ifi Usb power and the ifi link
usb to sfpid converter feeding my DSPeaker 2.0 That I use as my dac . I want to see if I can best the DSPeaker as a dac . I use Channel D pure music as my player software . Do I need to go to JRiver to fully utilize the IFI ?
 
I have been following this tread for a while . It sounds like the ifi micro dsd is the best thing since sliced bread. I ordered one yesterday . I have the ifi Usb power and the ifi link
usb to sfpid converter feeding my DSPeaker 2.0 That I use as my dac . I want to see if I can best the DSPeaker as a dac . I use Channel D pure music as my player software . Do I need to go to JRiver to fully utilize the IFI ?

I would argue that you need to try HQPlayer and skip Jriver. I had Pure Music and HQPlayer on my Mac Mini and there was no comparison. HQPlayer upconverting on the fly to DSD128 is pretty spectacular, even with redbook. :thmbsp:
 
I would argue that you need to try HQPlayer and skip Jriver. I had Pure Music and HQPlayer on my Mac Mini and there was no comparison. HQPlayer upconverting on the fly to DSD128 is pretty spectacular, even with redbook. :thmbsp:

Thank you . I have a Mac mini I use I tunes as the library . Does HQ player work with I tunes ?
 
Last edited:
Thank you . I have a Mac mini I use I tunes as the library . Does HQ player work with I tunes ?

Not that I know of. HQPlayer is its own player and honestly has the least features of any of them available, but the sound is on another level which is why I have went to it. :yes:

Billfort has posted quite a bit on HQPlayer as well.
 
I have Jriver running on w8.1 and run DSD 128 with every recording. Its really nice. I've played with HQ Player for about 2 days and it sounded about the same as Jriver to my ears. But to be fair, I only used HQP towards the end of the free trial. So, I may be trying it again in the near future. What I didnt like about HQP was the awful gui! Jriver has it beat 100% in that department....thats for sure! For those who have tried HQP on a more consistent basis, as well as Jrive, I get mixed reviews...some say Jriver is better and some say HQP is better.....I've even been told by a few the Jriver with Jplay tops them all, but I dont know, never heard it. What I do know is Jriver will nolonger support Jplay with MC 20 for obvious reasons.
 
Last edited:
Guys,

Any follow ups on your obtaining said iFi dacs?, as I'm curiuos to hear both of your findings. And do take into account the USB cables mentioned earlier on, I can whole heartily stand behind ones options for the Neutral USB ( Italy ) made from silver plated copper and suits systems that are more on the warmer to neutral side, whereas both CRL Green ( in prototype stage at the moment ) and the Black Cat Cable Silverstar USBs are pure copper based designs, and would suit systems where their signatures might require a weightier - fuller - richer/creamier sound to smooth or better put, balance things out in the lower treble to upper midrange sections ( in other words add weight, while fleshing things out ).

At the very least, do try to hear it with a Wireworld Starlight 7!, as anything lesser might've you wondering if we might be pulling your chains?, I'll say " NO ", but cabling does count in enhancing ones systems balance unless one thinks said attention details as far as system synergy or matching isn't of importance?.

Let's hear your voices on this matter........, what say you?.
 
Still waiting :D

Good thing Dave,

But you'd have just as easily have driven up and borrowed mine, as there are days where I'm so busy finding and buying music, I don't always get to the living room to listen.

Just a thought, somewhat late, but still valid.

 
I am enjoying the 192/24 DAC I have now (my sound card) - so I don't mind waiting :D

Listening to Funk Box CD1 right now that way :D

Good thing then, as I'm still enjoying PCM based downloads myself, I don't feel the need to run over to DSD quite yet, but it's coming.........., have a great weekend Dave, tell the wifey that Michelle and I said Hello.
 
I'd have to say from sources whom I trust in the audio industry on this one, by saying that I don't think many designers have properly implemented or voiced their DACs to show DSD at their best, because told be told..........., the mastering on any given format can be bad, which is why when I was into LPs and CDs, I tended to spend more on both as mastered in Japan, as I heard/felt a better sense of flow introduced into the recordings themselves as if someone actually sat there and had pride enough to master them correctly at the right speed, pitch, tonality and EQ'ed them accordingly.

And I had a fairly decent collection of SA-CDs, and loved what I heard as a silkier, more refined top end response that took the edge off of the format as heard through many standards CDs with the possible exception being the ones made by Mapleshade Recordings which I found very very very naturally balanced, in said manner I'd expect DSD to gain a strong following, if and when the DACs are capable of allowing said sense of Beauty and Tonality to come through unaltered.

But I'm just basing it upon my gut instinct, on things as they relate to how we all listen to music are about to change very soon.
 
Guys,

Any follow ups on your obtaining said iFi dacs?, as I'm curiuos to hear both of your findings. And do take into account the USB cables mentioned earlier on, I can whole heartily stand behind ones options for the Neutral USB ( Italy ) made from silver plated copper and suits systems that are more on the warmer to neutral side, whereas both CRL Green ( in prototype stage at the moment ) and the Black Cat Cable Silverstar USBs are pure copper based designs, and would suit systems where their signatures might require a weightier - fuller - richer/creamier sound to smooth or better put, balance things out in the lower treble to upper midrange sections ( in other words add weight, while fleshing things out ).

At the very least, do try to hear it with a Wireworld Starlight 7!, as anything lesser might've you wondering if we might be pulling your chains?, I'll say " NO ", but cabling does count in enhancing ones systems balance unless one thinks said attention details as far as system synergy or matching isn't of importance?.

Let's hear your voices on this matter........, what say you?.

What up Bro! Haven't spoken to you in a while! I've been busy.....whats shaken Bro?! Go ahead and down load "Drink you sober" by Bitter Sweet, for next time you and the misses want to, in the words of Marvin Gaye...."...Get it on" with a twist in kinkiness.....let the Micro do that song right as you and the misses have fun acting like 25 year olds again.

Adding more RAM to the new i5! Also lots of great cables out there....and lets not forget either....the RCA from the DAC to the preamp is also just as important.....its receiving from the USB!

The Micro has lots of great quality technology thats been tested and compared to other like products in its class and above. I am happy to suggest you get quality through and through with the iFI products. They also introduced a new product as well, the iFI head phone amp! Its up on their Facebook page if any one is interested!

My Micro DSD DAC, never seems to let me down. Its a great little DAC! Doing Double DSD on the fly is affording me some of the best fidelity I've heard....the resolution, balance timbre and imaging......fidelity that one only got from vinyl. I still feel DSD is missing that little 5% in way of texture that can only come from records/vinyl, but only in that last 5%. Double DSD is still beyond CDP's.

But I cant stress enough.....one must have amps and speakers that are able to play high quality sound at the highest level....or one will never receive all the Micro has to offer.
 
Why do you think DSD is not yet quite popular ?

There're several reasons. But the biggest two in my book....

firstly....some just cant hear due to hearing lose, or due to poor supporting gear/

Secondly....some trust negative write articles more so than what they hear from a good DSD DAC.....simply, they wont let their ears be the judge.
 
Need to be recorded in DSD format. If the source is crummy, so is the digital file, plain and simple. DSD is getting more popular though.

Doesn't really have to be recorded in same format. If one has software that will afford DSD 128 on the fly, things will be good.
 
I'm DSD newbie, try to understand it first, i do mastering in wave format 192 khz 32 bit. DSD not yet known to my clients.

At home try to give DSD try via Foobar and J River but unfortunately can't find decent source file for testing.
 
Back
Top Bottom