• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Going Digital!

Ok fellas! I've Oscars Neutral cable and listened for about 5 minutes...played partial songs on both the Wireworld Starlight 7 as well as the Neutral Cable. I can gladly tell you both cables do what they do very well....neither cable is missing any detail or resolution. Well the Starlight 7 is. But I can gladly tell you, the Neutral Cable simply does it better than the WireWorld Starlight 7. The Neutral cable gives a more resolution as well as body. The cables to my ears have the same sound Signiture which can be due to the other cables in my system, but the neutral Cable is almost as if it's the bigger brother to the Starlight. It has more resolution and more body....better refinement. While the Wireworld is good the Neutral is better. Looks like I may be ordering one of these.

Thanks Oscar....you see, you thought I was going to blast you, but naw, you are correct to suggest this cable is better. But I'd say the difference is the resolution which leads to a better overal experience and musical enjoyment.:yes:

Il get these to you after I run them in for you....I think the guy over in Italy told me they have 150 hours run in time...so that's ruffly, with my schedule..about 1 month.:thmbsp:

Bro. Byron,

Your read is such a relief, as you had me worried there for a moment thinking I had finally lost it and was awaiting the wifey to commit me to the nursing home. It's very nice to see that you were quite capable of hearing said differences, much like had after 5 minutes which is exactly how long it took me as well........., and yes, marantzfan it's easier then one can imagine provided your system is resolving enough.

Byron I love you like my own blood.........., but a month dude, I'll have to get a ticket to get down there after all it seems :uzi::uzi: but in the end, you've proven to me why I've always felt we hear things more or less alike.

Enjoy them, and know that I don't think they normally take a month to get to us here in the states, in so much as they set there at the postal service in Italy from what I'd tell from tracking them for nearly 2 weeks, it seems to me postal workers aren't always caring of those whom rely upon their services, so it seems it's out of our hands, and we've to pray that said matters are resolved.

So are you going with the dual headed version?, either way.............., it's a wrap for me beside getting one of the CRL usb cables as well.

In a minute.
:smoke:_o scar
 
Bro. Byron,

Your read is such a relief, as you had me worried there for a moment thinking I had finally lost it and was awaiting the wifey to commit me to the nursing home. It's very nice to see that you were quite capable of hearing said differences, much like had after 5 minutes which is exactly how long it took me as well........., and yes, marantzfan it's easier then one can imagine provided your system is resolving enough.

Byron I love you like my own blood.........., but a month dude, I'll have to get a ticket to get down there after all it seems :uzi::uzi: but in the end, you've proven to me why I've always felt we hear things more or less alike.

Enjoy them, and know that I don't think they normally take a month to get to us here in the states, in so much as they set there at the postal service in Italy from what I'd tell from tracking them for nearly 2 weeks, it seems to me postal workers aren't always caring of those whom rely upon their services, so it seems it's out of our hands, and we've to pray that said matters are resolved.

So are you going with the dual headed version?, either way.............., it's a wrap for me beside getting one of the CRL usb cables as well.

In a minute.
:smoke:_o scar

The cable is a nice one..sounds good...as if it's the bigger brother to the Starlight 7. So you're not crazy...at least not in that sense.:D and yeah....a resolving system from the least to the greatest component in any system has to be clean and free of grain.....I've been able to hear everything Ive connected to my system with the quickness! I did own a Rotel system once.....to much of a house sound...unable to hear most things.

Just kidding about the month. I won't have time to order until next week, and yes...the dual head. I wonder if I can get him to use a black mesh? The bright blue isn't my fav.
 
The cable is a nice one..sounds good...as if it's the bigger brother to the Starlight 7. So you're not crazy...at least not in that sense.:D and yeah....a resolving system from the least to the greatest component in any system has to be clean and free of grain.....I've been able to hear everything Ive connected to my system with the quickness! I did own a Rotel system once.....to much of a house sound...unable to hear most things.

Just kidding about the month. I won't have time to order until next week, and yes...the dual head. I wonder if I can get him to use a black mesh? The bright blue isn't my fav.

Once again, all of this is very reassuring to say the least, but as mentioned there are times where it doesn't hurt to venture outwards to some of these unknown companies, as they get word of mouth recommendations for some reason, I'd think.

And I'm certain he would do another mesh color if you asked before hand, as I was beginning to love the red finish on the Starlight 7, I'm going to ask that my USB Passion and AC Cord from him all be finished in the exact same shade of red, as I find its a break away from the black stuff which I've had for over 30 years.........., it's time to expose the exotic side of things.

Be well little Brotha, Holla. ( no smart remarks guys, I don't talk like that as all, but try to fit in from time to time with you young hipper cats ).
 
Just a little update!

The source is on display! And what helps it to shine in all its glory is that which supports it! In this case the source is iFI Micro DSD DAC! The support that helps to shine is the cable loom attached. The cable feeding the DAC from the PSU has cleaned the images I'm hearing/seeing with my mines eye as if one has cleaned the mist off a window! The cheaper priced WireWorld is good and I wouldnt sway any one from its purchase. But if one would like to spend a little more, clean the image....I assure you, you may not know it needs cleaning. But once you replace it with the Nuetral Cable, one will see clearly. Now the Neutral Cable didn't act as if it gave me more detail or let me hear stuff that was missing....because the Wireworld gave all that to me. What the Nuetral Cable did was clear the window as to add more resolution . its like now I'm looking through a clean glass.

I can't help but praise the Micro DSD DAC. Dispite what others are saying in another thread about DSD and all the technical negativity, I've yet to hear PCM sound like this...with the tone and resolution of a great vinyl deck.

So fellas, let's give credit where credits is due...Oscar did the research! Let's take advantage of some of it....let's give a big thank you and an "that a boy" to Big O!
 
Last edited:
Just a little update!

The source is the on display! And what helps it to shine in all its glory is that which supports it! In this case the source is iFI Micro DSD DAC! The support that helps to shine is the cable loom attached. The cable feeding the DAC from the PSU has cleaned the images I'm hearing/seeing with my mines eye as if one has cleaned the mist of a window! The cheaper priced WireWorld is good and wouldnt sway any one from its purchase. But if one would like to spend a little more, clean the image....I assure you, you may not know it needs cleaning. But once you replace it with the Nuetral Cable, one will see clearly. Now the Neutral Cable didn't act as if it gave me more detail are let me hear stuff that was missing....because the Wireworld gave all that to me. What the Nuetral Cable did was clear the window as to add more resolution . its like now I'm looking through a clean glass.

I can't help but praise the Micro DSD DAC. Dispite what others are saying in another thread about DSD and all the technical negativity, I've yet to hear PCM sound like this...with the tone and resolution of a great vinyl deck.

So fellas, let's give credit where credits is due...Oscar did the research! Let's take advantage of some of it....let's give a big thank you and an "that aboy" to Big O!

The Source indeed..........., and it's where that last piece of cable should go, once you've sorted out the best interfacing ones between your amp and speakers, it's at the Source where cables do indeed make or break the system.

Little Brotha, thanks for the kind words, as well as being that second set of ears to once again reassure me I wasn't just hearing things........., and having compared that cable to several at the $700 - $1.200 price ranges I'm riding it out........., as the difference saved will buy a few DSD downloads once I've matters worked out next month........, slowly, but surely I'll get to where several of you guys are - but I'm also very very very very pleased with the end results of said iDSD and iUSB combination, because I've not enjoyed myself in a great many moons as much as I've of late, just waking up to rush out to the living room as if a child on Christmas Day has me going.

And you know what?, while it's not vinyl............., it makes it even easier for me to seeming relax into the music in much the same manner, that I don't miss it in the least. Let me keep it short ( good luck Mr. Yacker ) and say once again thank you for pushing me towards the purchase to begin with, as I came to the party late, after taking a left instead of a right turn........, but now that I'm back on track, I'm enjoying the ride even more then I'd have imagined.

Salaam little Brotha.

:yes:_o scar
 
Byron/Lee Harvey/Livestrong and others,

Has any of you played around with the Gemini or any other dual headed USB cables from your iUSB into the iDSD yet and have anything to share?, I ask because I've been so busy going through the standard USBs I haven't given this one much thought, other then do I really want to add a Copper based USB at this location which I think is vital to the voicing of ones entire system.

Something keeps telling me to go after some sort of Silver plated Copper DH design, and get beyond the hopes of using a single conductor ( strand ) here........, what say you?.

Does anyone care to share any insight on this topic?.

Regards,
O_oh
 
Byron/Lee Harvey/Livestrong and others,

Has any of you played around with the Gemini or any other dual headed USB cables from your iUSB into the iDSD yet and have anything to share?, I ask because I've been so busy going through the standard USBs I haven't given this one much thought, other then do I really want to add a Copper based USB at this location which I think is vital to the voicing of ones entire system.

Something keeps telling me to go after some sort of Silver plated Copper DH design, and get beyond the hopes of using a single conductor ( strand ) here........, what say you?.

Does anyone care to share any insight on this topic?.

Regards,
O_oh

My Gemini cable just came in yesterday but I haven't gotten a chance to listen with it in system yet.
 
My Gemini cable just came in yesterday but I haven't gotten a chance to listen with it in system yet.

Thanks marantzfan,

As you well know, there are a few of us whom are able to tell what cables are doing in under 5 minutes or within 2 - 5 tracks to play it safer, so I'll be awaiting your findings, as every little bit helps us all in finding means to enhance our listening experience with said iDSD/iUSB - so please chime in once you've a feel for said cable, good, bad or indifferently.

In the end, whether Copper or Silver plated Copper?, it's always about what fits ones system - taste and ears that matters most, so do tell.

Thanks again,
O_o scar
 
Byron/Lee Harvey/Livestrong and others,

Has any of you played around with the Gemini or any other dual headed USB cables from your iUSB into the iDSD yet and have anything to share?, I ask because I've been so busy going through the standard USBs I haven't given this one much thought, other then do I really want to add a Copper based USB at this location which I think is vital to the voicing of ones entire system.

Something keeps telling me to go after some sort of Silver plated Copper DH design, and get beyond the hopes of using a single conductor ( strand ) here........, what say you?.

Does anyone care to share any insight on this topic?.

Regards,
O_oh


Mi Man!

Copper just won't work for me in the psu>iDSD spot...must be silver/copper to give a more natural presentation with body/weight. I know you feel me?
Next week I'm going after ones of the Neutral Cable double headed USB runs.....I Can't wait! Right now things are on point. And more so when she arrives at my door.
 
Mi Man!

Copper just won't work for me in the psu>iDSD spot...must be silver/copper to give a more natural presentation with body/weight. I know you feel me?
Next week I'm going after ones of the Neutral Cable double headed USB runs.....I Can't wait! Right now things are on point. And more so when she arrives at my door.

Brotha,

You know I rrspect your views on this matter more so then most, and I've just been formed CRL is about to do a solid - core silver usb which could be coming my way as well.........., but truth be told, I'd simply go after one of those Neutral Cable DHs myself and just chill........, but there's this nagging feeling that I might sleep on another nice discovery if I stopped now.

Maybe one or two more samples and I'm set as well. But one never knows what works, if one isn't willing to listen to their options..........., but I can say this out loud........., the Neutral Cable USB isn't a joke in my mind or way of how I believe music is meant to be presented.

As always, it's a wonderful hobby, but at some point........., the journey ends, and life becomes anew as our passion for the pursuit of music kicks in, and our music collections grow.

Peace Mi Brotha, enjoy yourself, your music, your system and lastly life in itself.
 
Hi Oscar, DH Labs also has a couple of silver-coated copper USB cables, I haven't heard them, but for the most part find the DH line a pretty good value and good on the ears in some systems.

I still have their T-14 speaker and BL-1 interconnects and an AES/EBU digital cable. As you've said though, comes down to system, ears etc.

Been watching this thread from the back room, interesting indeed. Hope all is well with you!

Tim
 
Hi Oscar, DH Labs also has a couple of silver-coated copper USB cables, I haven't heard them, but for the most part find the DH line a pretty good value and good on the ears in some systems.

I still have their T-14 speaker and BL-1 interconnects and an AES/EBU digital cable. As you've said though, comes down to system, ears etc.

Been watching this thread from the back room, interesting indeed. Hope all is well with you!

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the recommendation on the DH Labs, but more or less I'm set as far as the cables go, as I believe the Neutral Cable from Italy suits my system and ears to a " T ", and like Byron will be adding the dual head design into the mix and chilling, in the end I'll have an extra 3 - 4 USBs sitting around to change the flavors as they're needed, the great thing about this quest is that it has proven one doesn't have to spend upwards of $1.000 to come across beautiful sound, and even between $100 - $300 there are so interesting sounding stuff to be heard and shared with others, if they're paying attention that is?.

Thanks again for following from the back room, as it's nice to know you, as well as others might take something helpful from this..........., as said iDSD and iUSB are rocking little devices which have changed my life for the better in regards to sonics, and their abilities to simply allow more of the purity of notes to shine through in such an emotion manner, it's simply stunning to behold.

Here's wishing you and your lovely wife all the best in life as well.

Take care you, because without you, there's no friendships between us two, nor the wonderful relationship you and she shares.

:D_o scar
 
Oscar,
I am currently running Pangea pure silver USB cables from my PC to the iUSB and then one from the iUSB to the iDSD. Then there are a set Kimber Silver Streak interconnects running into the Exposure amp. Having that mix of Silver in there brings out more life and detail. I have been talking with Byron and I may bite on a set of Neutral cables down the road. It appears that both of you are very impressed with the Neutral cables? I have not tried any of the dual head type cables yet.

I was in San Francisco last week on business but I got to go to Audio Vision of SF. That was the same store that someone drove a Toyota pickup through the front window a few weeks ago. That place has more gear than any other dealer I have ever seen. audiovisionsf.com Big Naim shop. I got to hear a couple of systems while I was their. One system had the Dali Epicon 6 Speakers driven by Devialet 200 integrated amp. The source was a Naim network player serving up 44.1 PCM files. One album I listened to was "Blue Bossa" by Ana Caram and I liked it so I ordered it on Amazon so when I got home it would be there. Anyways this was some really top notch amp and speakers but now I feel that they were hobbled by the Naim player. As I have told Byron I have become Jaded by the iFI gear and JRiver with their ability to up-convert to DSD 128. When I got home I imported the Ana Caram album as 128 DSF files. Within the first 30 seconds I was blown away on how much my more modest system sounded so much more real than the Dali/Devialet/Naim system.

Two years ago I started building a turntable system because vinyl sounded so more real than my Schiit DAC and PCM files or CD player. Now with the iFI gear and JRiver I am getting that same type of real sound that vinyl presents but with greater dynamics and less overall system noise. I am not giving up on my turntable rig but having the iFI gear gives me a nice alternative source of music to enjoy.
 
Oscar,
I am currently running Pangea pure silver USB cables from my PC to the iUSB and then one from the iUSB to the iDSD. Then there are a set Kimber Silver Streak interconnects running into the Exposure amp. Having that mix of Silver in there brings out more life and detail. I have been talking with Byron and I may bite on a set of Neutral cables down the road. It appears that both of you are very impressed with the Neutral cables? I have not tried any of the dual head type cables yet.

I was in San Francisco last week on business but I got to go to Audio Vision of SF. That was the same store that someone drove a Toyota pickup through the front window a few weeks ago. That place has more gear than any other dealer I have ever seen. audiovisionsf.com Big Naim shop. I got to hear a couple of systems while I was their. One system had the Dali Epicon 6 Speakers driven by Devialet 200 integrated amp. The source was a Naim network player serving up 44.1 PCM files. One album I listened to was "Blue Bossa" by Ana Caram and I liked it so I ordered it on Amazon so when I got home it would be there. Anyways this was some really top notch amp and speakers but now I feel that they were hobbled by the Naim player. As I have told Byron I have become Jaded by the iFI gear and JRiver with their ability to up-convert to DSD 128. When I got home I imported the Ana Caram album as 128 DSF files. Within the first 30 seconds I was blown away on how much my more modest system sounded so much more real than the Dali/Devialet/Naim system.

Two years ago I started building a turntable system because vinyl sounded so more real than my Schiit DAC and PCM files or CD player. Now with the iFI gear and JRiver I am getting that same type of real sound that vinyl presents but with greater dynamics and less overall system noise. I am not giving up on my turntable rig but having the iFI gear gives me a nice alternative source of music to enjoy.

Good morning Lee Harvey,

First off, I forgot to mention that I used to follow " Anicent Aliens " religiously, so I dig your avatar. And it's nice hearing your opinion on said devices and usb cabling matters as I truthfully believe in both, as well as finding the best means of integrating them into our systems, and lives.

As much as I enjoy the copper CRL usb cable, and I love it by the way, there's a part of me that knows the silver plated copper Neutral Cable USB is very much to my likings and I'm just glad I took it upon myself to order one, as in my system/ears it clearly bettered several more costlier versions in merely presenting the music in a more natural manner, whereas 3 of the over $700/1m ones came across as forced in the midrange - overly trying to compensate for a more Hi-FI effect as opposed to ebb and flow as heard through said cheaper, yet much much much much more musical version from Italy, it made me upset to think what many could be wasting on these things.

I saw the photos of that robbery in SF, man it's as if the world around us has gone crazier if you ask me........., and I'm so grateful that I can sit back and enjoy life in our peaceful little suburban community without fearing for the safety of my family, and truth be told..........., am happy in some senses that I don't have to leave the safety of said home ever, unless I chose to, as retirement is a beautiful thing.

But it shows me that you're one to get out and actually hear components as well, and it moves me to hear even more so how much you were able to enjoy what you've as opposed to what you heard during your trip, which then highlights to me at least - that's you've taken the time to voice your system to your preference and are content ( which is very impressive ) and shows commitment and satisfaction in knowing how to get the best off of what's in place, and I commend your efforts.

And you've made me curious enough to pursue JRiver as well as the music you heard during your trip - as I recall its on the Chesky Record label. Thanks for sharing your ears with me/us, as my quest is once again nearly it's final desination, I can only hope and pray that many find their own paths to enlightenment and get back to how things where in our youth............, when we danced - laughed - cried and romanced while enjoying music for the sake of it, and way before we forgot to focus our hearts and minds and ears upon what those musical messages held within, yet later were replaced by us listening to hard to the components and in some ways forgetting that it's the manner in which the music moves ones soul that matters more so then what the hardware does right, or wrong.

Life's much to short for self-doubt.

Enjoy today, as tomorrow isn't a given.

Peace to us all. We need it, if no where else, in our minds/hearts.
O_o scar
 
Guys,

Even though this thread is meant to discuss the virtues of said iFi Micro iDSD and iUSB, as always I merely wanted to share a call I just got from my young in home physician whom was taken with my system on his last two visits, it seems he took it upon himself to follow my advise and has purchased the iFi Audio Retro Stereo System which he got in 4 days ago, and called today as he said his wife wanted to thank me personally, so they're coming by with in in toll this Friday, so I hope that Byron doesn't mind me sharing my session on this system, good or bad?, as I think more then anything it's about getting others to at least yet out and listen to any of these products to begin with, as once again that's a sound going on here that one simply has to hear for themselves - so in that sense, it's all counter productive.

Until then.

O_oh
 
That's great news mu bro!

Bet.

And, thanks for knowing my intentions are never to alter the direction of your thread, in so much as keep others posted on the hardware from this company, which I believe quite a few of us have come to love, and merely want to share said insight with others.

As a few friends are starting to look closer at getting into the computer audio thing........., I've a few even asking me about the Naim Audio Mu-So System, yes................., it seems some are actually starting to see the writings on the wall, the times are a changing indeed.

Thanks little Brotha, on the flip side.
:smoke:_oh
 
Okay there.........., where do I start on expressing what I heard through the iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50 System along with the matching LS3.5 Speakers as placed in mine systems stead?.

As connected to my Mac Mini via USB cable, I allowed Platoila and his wife Armira to have the sofa as I often lie between the speakers on the floor, as it has become more relaxing for me, as opposed to trying to hop over to the system as it is..........., but making matters easier - the Apple Remote is a welcomed quest in our home of late as well.

First off it's cute as a button in real life and I felt the pictures of it were nice, but no........, here we've something that quite cool in the same manner to which both Luxman and Cayin have offered retro Integrated's in the past as a means to attracting those whom tend to love been reminded of our creative pass achievements as far as tube designs go from our history's past.

Even though I'm aware these components have only been in use for several days at my young doctors and wife's home, it has a richest and ambiance going on about it in the innermost note structure if you will - it has what I hear as that lushness of Olde school tube gear I heard during the early 80s to mid 90s before designers began trying to make them more linear at the expense of beauty and tonality, all of this from an integrated/DAC system that puts out 25 w/pc - and while my own integrated does 15 w/pc, this made me realize one very important thing..........., how much power does one seriously require to drive their space?.

As someone whom has growth quite accustomed to the tone of EL84/6BQ5 Power Tubes, it stuck me as no surprise I was digging the sound off the bat, and as we listened until 1:37AM it became even clearer in my mind that iFi design team is definitely onto something in the manner to which they voice their components on a whole............, I'm talking depth, substance, emotional impact, beauty of tone as well as textural enlightenment, the ability to swift gears with ease, timing or P.R.A.T. as some of you might prefer ( being that I grew up with Linn/Naim Camp, I understand ) but the weird thing is............., it's not often I get this sort of sound or effect from tube components, unless of course their designers themselves have placed an emphasis upon said effect to begin with.

I'm not going to get into this one to much here, as this thread if meant to be on the iDSD and iUSB Power tandem, and how smitten Byron has become with them, and having spoken with him two days ago upon receiving his new HP, I can tell you secretly................, he's crying his behind off due to the joy of merely listening anew.

But I'd go as so far as to say the Retro 50 Stereo System is quite capable of fulfilling the need as ones sole stereo kit if pressed for cash, and one has to make key adjustments in their lifestyles - and downsized............., and while a lot of cats are going on and on about adding 2nd and 3rd systems into their homes, I'd say place this somewhere centrally and allow your family members to have the joyride of their life's as you sit back and watch their faces, and body gestures which are all tell tale signs they're enjoying themselves and the the music has found its place in their hearts.

This to me is one of the greatest gifts one could ever bestow upon their loved ones..........., so much so, I'm setting aside enough coins to purchase one for our space myself, yes iFi Audio is doing something very very very special in how they've voiced their wares.

Don't believe otherwise, which is why I more often then not, believe end users more so then some reviewers............, as they actually own and love these products enough to have purchased them.

Have a great weekend kids, and now......, back to our sponsor.
 
Bro....I have no problem with your "tell all" about iFI products.....its a great bang for buck no brainer! And I really enjoyed your review.....AMR, the parent company of iFI is on to something, and doing a new thing it seems. They've sorta come out of no where to take the hobby by storm with their gear.

And yes....with the new addition of the i5 engine in the HP.....its added new drive to the music.....the iFI Micro seems incapable of make such wonderful music, but its all true...these products are about the best bang for buck I've ever heard.
 
Back
Top Bottom