• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Good price for a C28 preamp and a MC7270 amp?

minolta1888

New Member
I saw a local listing for this pair. Seller says they sound great and have been professionally serviced, I don’t know when. What would you offer for the pair?
 
Register to hide this ad
The 7270 depending on condition will pull as high $2700.00 and that if it has the service records and is in really nice shape. I think more along the lines of 2200 to 2400 is more in line.
The C28 any where from $900 to $1500.00 again depending on condition.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...lifier-c-28-mm-phono-1-0-33015-pre-amplifiers This unit is not in top condition

I own the 7270 and its a great unit. But if the seller says both have been professionally service then they MUST know when and where and have the docs to prove it. Otherwise it just talk.


These folks go over the equipment and are reputable https://www.audioclassics.com/cat?cat=Amplifiers

Be careful when buying use. A good way to go if you know wha you're getting. I paid a little too much for the 7270 . Another learning experience.
 
Thanks for the reply! The seller later told me that the C28 got a recap (I'm guessing 10 years ago or so) but the service on the 7270 was only cosmetic: a new faceplate and LED backlight. How does that change your estimation of their fair price? I'd definitely have to be thorough when checking out the 7270 to make sure it sounds good and all the knobs are functional.
 
The 7270 could use service at this point. LED backlight would be a downgrade to me, and if the original light-pipe were altered or deleted a serious downgrade as it can never be replaced. The faceplate (glass) is NLA as original look so if it has a fairly new (but not the newest) faceplate all of the lettering on it should be gold with the lights off, with the light on all of the control lettering and the McIntosh lettering should light up green. If that is so it is good. As soon as I see LED conversions on vintage McIntosh I need to look inside the unit to see what was altered to make this work, and what else was altered. Hopefully it's just filled with LED replacement bulbs, no other changes.

On the C28, there is a fairly time-consuming service necessary to correct grounding noise in the crimped ground/shiield shielded cable. Again the orginal look faceplate is NLA, so if it has a great original or Mc replacement where as mentioned above all lettering is gold with lights off, and all lettering other than the PANLOC lettering lights up green you are in good shape. If the PANLOC lettering does not line up properly with the panloc buttons then it is aftermarket, if the lettering around the controls is not gold then it's new McIntosh garbage. "recap" is such an ambiguous term that is used by flippers and anyone trying to make a quick buck, that I give it no value at all and it means I need to look inside to ensure it hasn't been altered / hacked.

I'd like to believe that a C28 in perfect condition is worth $1,500+ (because mine would be gone!) but realistically I'd say that without the ground repair, in good condition with a cabinet it probably isn't worth more than maybe $1,100-$1,200.
 
Last edited:
The 7270's are notorious for the power and meter switches going bad, had Terry replace the power switch on one of mine and now both have defunct meter switches, both stuck in hold mode and knob just spins endlessly.
 
Good advice from SaturationPT. Both units sound like they need to be serviced just because of age. I am getting ready to send my in for it's first overhaul and will expect to shell out several hundred to get things back to factory condition. You never said what the seller is asking for the pair. There are some units for sale at Audiogon however prices are all over the place on the Amp. There is one going for over 5K...waaay over price. There is also a really nice MC252 on Audiogon for $3350 ,just to put things into perspective.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9h31a-mcintosh-mc252-power-amplifier-solid-state

Whatever you do, TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't jump the gun now and have buyers remorse later. Research the model and the possible work they may need.
 
You never said what the seller is asking for the pair.

Good point, sorry. His asking price was $2800 for both, but indicated he would drop that price to $2600. My thinking in light of this info is that I should try to get a few more hundred taken off. Hard to tell whether this is just a clear-cut good deal as it is or whether purchasing this would require I immediately spend an enormous amount of money on servicing them.
 
The price is more than fair. Both units will work fine as is. This Ak crowd is fickle. They want this type of gear cheap and serviced/restored. If items are advertised you better move quick. I’d sell off the c28 and start looking for c29 or newer preamp to match mc7270. C28 has volume pot issues.
 
I'm fickle, but I'm not cheap. I tend to overpay for a very nice unit and leave the abused and neglected behind for someone else.

I do agree however, $2,600 for the pair in good cosmetic condition, working properly, especially if with cabinets is a very good price. I also agree that I'd look at a newer preamp of the MC7270 era, but that too can be a maintenance problem as you'll be getting into the ribbon-cable problem units.

A decent price for both, go check them out and don't wait too long.
 
It would't hurt to have them tested after buying them, right? With the right people? My c28 had around (I can't look, the cat's sleeping on the coat with the bill) 6 caps replaced. The sicker of the two Mc2105s had, gosh, 8 caps including a can (ouch) and 7 transistors changed. Might be a bit of an extreme case, but still... Dead silent and lively sounding now.
 
Back
Top Bottom