• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

The local dig spots have never been forth coming with any kind of optics except telescopes with nearly ten out of ten being for your kid and that's it.

Another flipper picked one up for $20 that was a nice diameter NIB. Oh i'll get close to $200.....dude, you are selling a rug for $6K, wtf are you doing. I had one ask me today why I buy clothes like we don't need them. Guy is young (Younger than me), lives in a $700K house, has 40 thousand plus Ebay feedbacks I am like why are you buying that log rack basket.......:rolleyes:
 
Found a lonely, very dirty and somewhat broken Jamo a short while ago.
Temporary replacement tweeter, pateched a few holes and a a bit of a clean has it halfway back to being in a good state.
Serving as Bluetooth 'portable' speaker now with a little battery powered mono amp as we speak.
Was planning to replace the non-original woofer, but with a bit of EQ it ain't half bad.

Jamo Pro 200.jpeg
 
Drought is finally over, Savers turned up an "Ambassador" tube console unit featuring a couple of 6BQ5 power tubes in the amp portion. Took a little digging to find what is is, all the markings are missing, but I believe it's a United Audio Ambassador model 2774 or 2778, so kind of bottom of the barrel, but for $5, I'm happy. Also snagged a little Fender Frontman my son wanted ($15). IMG_20260216_122515885_MP.jpgIMG_20260216_122532301.jpgIMG_20260216_123504517.jpg
 
Ambassador consoles were sold at Maas Brothers department stores around here.
From what I read UA stuff was made for bargain stores. That said, the power transformer is pretty beefy, the outputs don't look bad, and the tube compliment was good as well. Wiring is very basic (scary really), no wonder the power cord and all the inputs were cut. Can't find the schematic anywhere...
 
From what I read UA stuff was made for bargain stores. That said, the power transformer is pretty beefy, the outputs don't look bad, and the tube compliment was good as well. Wiring is very basic (scary really), no wonder the power cord and all the inputs were cut. Can't find the schematic anywhere...
Not bad! At least it has a decent power transformer. You could have ended up with one of those line powered amps with two 50C5's and a 12AV6 + rectifier tube. Shock city :yikes:
 
It should be possible to work on this without a schematic. Is there a tuner/preamp chassis in the console? If so, does it have it's own power transformer? Also , share pics of the inside wiring of the power amp chassis. Trace the wiring of the two RCA sockets. If it goes the double triode, then input, connected to the OPT secondaries means output.

Regards,
 
Technics SL-Q300 turntable in excellent condition. I didn't really need another turntable, but I don't own a p-mount and this seemed pretty well built. I also got it for the cost of a six pack of good beer. The real reason I got interested is it has a Pickering XSP/3003 cart with a D3000 stylus. The stylus sounds very good, with nice clear highs, so I think it's still good. Everything works but it still has an intermittent slight hum. I stripped one end an RCA cable for the ground wire as it didn't come with one.
SL-Q300.jpg
 
Last edited:
What thrift store?

Curious as to why they would just be selling drivers separately
Some of the speakers that get donated to thrifts are in pretty rough shape, but the woofers/mids/tweeters are still good.
If one of the volunteers is into audio, they probably recognized the JBL brand & salvaged them. The store can still make a sale on something that otherwise would have gotten tossed in the dumpster. I've volunteered at a few thrifts & have done similar.
 
Some of the speakers that get donated to thrifts are in pretty rough shape, but the woofers/mids/tweeters are still good.
If one of the volunteers is into audio, they probably recognized the JBL brand & salvaged them. The store can still make a sale on something that otherwise would have gotten tossed in the dumpster. I've volunteered at a few thrifts & have done similar.
Goodwill. They will put out anything they think they can make a buck on. Probably thought they were subwoofers. These were not drivers that were used in speakers. They were def professional tools. Probably someone's project they didn't want to throw out. The one cone was completely smashed and seized. Thankfully my speaker tech was able to get it moving again, and will give it a full recone.
 
Back
Top Bottom