• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Sorry, No electronics.

My local GW never seems to have anything on the shelves worth talking about.

The GW here in Huntsville won't put out any electronics. They say they don't want the hassle of people bringing back items that don't work, even if sold "as is". They send everything to Birmingham hub for auction.
:tears:
 
They have closed both Salvation Army stores in the last three months here.Why?I don't know.Not gold mines but they had stuff occasionally.You would think in these times these stores would be thriving.Lucky for me the ARC is going strong and produces some good finds.
 
Not a spectacular find like some on this thread, but I picked up a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 at the GW "superstore" for $20 on Friday, at least the sub (no satellites). Had to figure out the funky mini-DIN "preamp in" connector. Had to add voltage gain to the inputs of the three amps (using a couple of LF353's from my parts bin), about 6X gain to bring line-level inputs up enough to get it loud enough. Added a couple of 3" fullrange satellites, makes a very nice small-room system for one of my OmniFi DMS-1 streamers.

I will be making regular runs to this store, it's easily the best in town, though not the most conveniently located.
 
Not a spectacular find like some on this thread, but I picked up a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 at the GW "superstore" for $20 on Friday, at least the sub (no satellites).

I have the 2.1 system. Not bad for computer speakers. I even used the satellites with my HT for a while. You can get the Sat's & controller pad off ebay for a good price.
 
Picked up a Yamaha CDX-710 CD player yesterday at the pawn shop for $10. Haven't hooked it up yet; I figure it's run will be temporary until I find a player I really like, but we'll see :)
 
I picked up a Classe SSP-25 preamp for $40! It had an MSRP of $3000 in 1999-2000 and a street price of $2000!! I don't care for any of the sound processing and run this baby Analog Bypass for 2-ch. I had it tested for square wave reproduction and the results are fabulous.
 
yeah, I got a mint Paradigm Servo 15 for $50 at a garage sale a few weeks ago and in the excitment I forgot to grab the x-30 crossover - it cost me $90 off Audiogon - still a good deal though.....It was a couple of women running the sale and I was afraid to go back and have the husband see what the wife had sold while he was away....
 
:yes:
I went to the UPS store to purchase a few boxes and before I got a foot in the door, I 180'd outta there because of the line of folks - obviously sending off holiday packages.

I had some time left on my lunchhour and decided to head over to the GW simply because I felt I needed to. I'm glad I did. :yes:

Aside from a little candle wax spill I'll need to clean out of the grillcloth on one of the caps and some very minor blemishes, these Ohm Walsh 1's are in excellent condition and sound, oh so nice! :music: The veneer is just beautiful.

111708083yq6.jpg


111708093oi7.jpg


111708084ds4.jpg


Best thrift find to date for me and only for the price of a CD.

WOW!
 
I went to the UPS store to purchase a few boxes and before I got a foot in the door, I 180'd outta there because of the line of folks - obviously sending off holiday packages.

I had some time left on my lunchhour and decided to head over to the GW simply because I felt I needed to. I'm glad I did. :yes:

Aside from a little candle wax spill I'll need to clean out of the grillcloth on one of the caps and some very minor blemishes, these Ohm Walsh 1's are in excellent condition and sound, oh so nice! :music: The veneer is just beautiful.

111708083yq6.jpg


111708093oi7.jpg


111708084ds4.jpg


Best thrift find to date for me and only for the price of a CD.

Care to double your money? :deal: :D

Scott
 
That's a hard act to follow. :ntwrthy: I picked up 2 white M & K S-85 & 1 black S-85c. speakers at St. Paul De Vinnie for $20. The are now in my HT set up.
 
Someone around here got a Marantz 2245 at a HfH store for $5. Wasn't me...went back to get it a bit later when I could get away from work and it was gone. :(
 
Since I've gotten the fever I've found little at the local GW worth taking home, but I have seen things come and go, which is a good sign that sooner or later something I want will come my way :)......

As for what I've seen its been some odd stuff..... a Sony CD changer and both a Sharp and an LXI CD player...... hell, I'm not even sure I knew Sharp made CDPs...... was light as a feather in weight lemme tell ya!
 
Here is a little encouragement and a tip to all of you bargain hunters like me.

Picked up a sweet little Nikko TRM-750 integrated amp today. Looks very similar to the Pioneer SA-7500. Solid construction, classy but understated styling and very good sonics. Needed a good cleaning up but it was only $30.

Now for the tip. After Christmas, I have found that the thrift stores are practically overflowing with older electronics and other toys. Usually people will get rid of their older gear after Christmas or during the "spring cleaning." So now is a good time to pick up some cheap gear. Good luck and let's give this gear a new lease on life.
 
Just found a Sony MDS-JE320 minidisc deck. Had a MD stuck in the slot. Got it with a case with 6 pre-recorded discs & 5 recordable discs for $5.00. Got home & opened it up. Got the disc unstuck, now it plays fine. Just have to get a remote off ebay for it.
 
just glommed onto a denon dr-m10hx cassette deck, $4, at a local thrift store that helps support the local hospice.
got it home, cleaned it up, cleaned and demagged heads, etc, tested with headphones first, everything seems ok. then hooked up to main amp and

it sounds very nice!

and has nice digital led counter and meters. looks cool in the dark!
:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom