• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Just came home with Chicago IX in plasticwrap. There's one crease on the cover, and it still has the stickers on the wrap. The vinyl itself is in good to very good condition with a few scuffs, but nothing bad. So now i have two copies :D

I have tons of other great finds too.

Condition is cover/vinyl

Dreamboat Annie - Heart - nm/nm
M.U.: The best of Jethro Tull - NM/VG+
Chicago IX - NM/NM
2112 - Rush - VG/G It has 4 bad scuffs, but they don't effect the playing at all.
Permanent Waves - Rush - good/vg+
Anytime Anyplace Anywhere - Rossington Collins band good/nm

All of those were a dollar :)

I also found like, 14 barbra streisand albums at a thrift store here. they've been there for about a year now. I'm not surprised. That's really all I find at st. Vincent de paul is Barbra Streisand and Kenny Loggins.

Never found any good electronics though.
 
Picked up a Harman/Kardon FL 8350 CD changer at a local pawn for $20; I've never owned a piece of H/K equipment in my life, so I figured what the hell, save this old gal :).
 
Sony hcd-va550

yesterday i snagged a sony hcd-va550 combo 5 disc cd changer, cassette deck, and tuner for $15 from the local thrift. cleaned it up, plugged it in, and everything works and sounds good!

only issue is the tape transport is in a powered slide-out tray with no access to heads, etc for cleaning and demagging. took cover off, still no access.
manual says to use cleaning and demagging cassette.
oh well, if i have to...

and no remote. most every thing functions w'out one, tho.
 
I take back that VG+ for permanent waves. I finally got to playing it, and i've never heard such bad wow in my life. The record's shot :(
 
Got this pair at a local farmers market for not a lot of money. Cosmetically, they are perfect, and they both work fine.

sonymarantz.jpg
 
Picked up a Harman/Kardon FL 8350 CD changer at a local pawn for $20; I've never owned a piece of H/K equipment in my life, so I figured what the hell, save this old gal :).

I'm pretty sure that's the model I have. I bought it new for $300 and the display has become dim (i actually had this replaced once under warranty) but other than that, I've never had a complaint!
 
SA auction score

I went to the Friday SA auction yesterday. 2 other guys & I went in together to bid on the electronics lot. I got five pieces for $12.00, my cut . Here's what I got.
Yamaha R-9 receiver-started smoking when I turned it on.
Yamaha M-35 2/4 channel amp-dead
Kenwood KA-7150 Intergrated amp-really bad pots, took a lot of cleaning. finally got good sound:yes:
But the major Items I wanted...
Mitsubishi DA-C20 preamp/tuner:D
Mitsubishi DA-A15DC amp with DA-M10 meters:banana:
Cleaned these up. Hooked them up. I was in audio nirvana. :music: I'll post some beter pics later. I've been using a SAE A501 amp & Adcom pre for the past several months, I'll have to see how the Mits do, I may be swapping.
 

Attachments

  • Mit Da.jpg
    Mit Da.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 141
Two Day Score

Hit the thrifts again Sat. Here's what I snagged...
Mitsubishi SS-105F speakers $4
JBL HT system -TLX151 fronts, TLX Center 2 , TLX PS-10 powered sub $8 These had a little rough edges
Boston Micro80W passive sub was with the JBL's
Yamaha CR-1020 receiver $8 :banana: wood case had a few blemishes, I could not get any sound at the store, It may have been the crappy speaker they had there I used. Got it home & hooked up my test speakers, worked great. There was just a little pot noise. Made me happy. Not to bad for a two day blitz.:yes:
 
My Salvation Army store has been really hot lately. Today I picked up a Sony STR-GX90ES receiver for about the price of a dinner for two. Cleaned up almost perfect. No remote but works flawlessly.

I'm not normally very big on Sony, but this is a very, very nice piece. Made in 1991, it features a copper-plated back panel, Sony's G-chassis, a healthy torodial transformer and 15,000uv 71V power supply capacitors, triple detented tone controls with switchable turnovers, MC/MM cartridge switch and overall high quality build and parts.

Although I hate to say it, it absolutely smokes my Yamaha RX-V1070, which is a few years newer. The Sony's preamp is much better. Of course, the Yamaha includes a bevy of surround features, whereas the Sony was the last of the 2-channel ES receivers, so it may not be a fair fight. For music, the Sony is very satisfying.

It's not flashy looking or sounding. But it is easy to listen to and allows you to enjoy music without constantly wanting to "analyze" the sound, like the Yamaha makes me do.

Sony fans, you may have a convert. ;)
 
I found a nice pair of JBL 2500 bookshelf speakers - $5 for the pair.... Nothing earth-shattering, but it made my day :)
 
Good one and a half weeks of finding stuff - 2 yamaha mx-460's,a russound 275hc, a sonance 2120t & Gemini p700 amps and a HK avr 25 receiver and a Bose acoustimass 7 system all mint for $285 (CL custom installer cleaning garage) a pair of JBL lx440 speakers $15 at GW and a pair of mint looking Infinity RS-5's (new version) for $25 from white elephant....
 
Back
Top Bottom