• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Your mentioning that made me realize that I could do the same in order to compare two receivers I have.

Although I would also need a speaker source switching ability, so I could at the same time pipe the second recr through the same speakers I had just been listening to the other one through! (I might have a switch that could do that....do I????)

Just make sure you have true A/B switching as you don't want both signals going to the speakers even for a second.

I use a TEC TC-616. There are other alternatives out there but none real cheap unless you make one yourself.

Gary
 
My best finds were a HK Citation II with two sets of ANOS original Tungsol 6550s for $60 from a person who did mobile DJ work and wanted something lighter to carry around. The other finds were Altec 340A and 341 monoblocks for $45 each from a stereo store going out of business. One had a pair of gently used Gold Lion KT88s.
 
over the weekend, I picked up an MCS (JCPenny) rack system from the 80s for $4 @ GW. It has a digital tuner,amp/eq, turntable, dual cassete, and cd player. I noticed a large heatsink sticking out the back, so I decided it was worth the money if only for amp parts :thmbsp:. It's big and ugly, and all that really works anymore are the 100w/ch (approx) amp/eq, and the cd player.
 
It's not my best score ever, but over the weekend I picked up a Realistic STA-2300 for $15. That works out to about 30 cents a pound. It's from about 1982 and it's 120 WPC. It needs new dash lights, though. It uses the 8v 300ma wedge bulbs, which I believe Pioneer also used. I assume member "dgwojo" is my best source for these.
 
Took a picture of it. Someone really loved it all these years for it to be in this nice of condition. Now to start building on it!
 
Thats very nice. Do all the lights work?

Thanks.I cannot believe how nice it really is.Someone really took proper care of it.Minor scuffs around the tuning dial and that is it.

I thought they all did but the last bulb seems to be out.My search for a new bulb is on.
 
Not too much this week but I managed to only pay $5 for a Harman Kardon Citation 23 tuner. It works well but the digital display is dead. Anyone know how to fix this?
 
Not too much this week but I managed to only pay $5 for a Harman Kardon Citation 23 tuner. It works well but the digital display is dead. Anyone know how to fix this?

Could be a backlight is out, try to replace it or shine a light on the back with it on (if possible) to see if the actual LCD part is still working.
 
So far this year I got a really nice sharp cassette player for 6, an electrophonic 8 track and reciever for 15, and today i came home with a real nice set of marantz speakers. They're a little dirty and the veneer's seen better days, but the important stuff's there and they sound real sweet. I also got a decent chair to listen to all these too for 5 bucks. I'll get pics soon.

I also got some Dio and UFO singles in near mint, and a promo copy of Flatout by Buck Dharma
 
Friday SA auction find.

Went to the SA friday auction today. Not much today, but spotted 2 Adcom pieces. A GFA-555 power amp & Adcom GFS-6 six speaker selector box. The bid wound up to $55. 2 other buddies went in & my cut was $15.00. I got both adcom pieces & 2 crappy Sound Tech TT that are very cheap plastic SL-1200 ripoffs. Got home & plugged the 555 in to my Adcom GTP-500 preamp. Left channel was fine, Right channel no sound till I turned up the gain & got distorted sound. Called Adcom, Told me to check the internal fuses, it has 4, I assume for + & - on each channel. Yes, right channel had a blown fuse. Quick trip to RS & it was back in buisness. Don't know why it was blown, I'll let it play awhile before I replace the cover to see if it happens again. Still not bad for $15 + $1.99 for a pack of 4 fuses.:music:
 
Last edited:
Thrifts were dry today...but did pick up a sanyo plus a35 amp for pals that needed something..tell the truth, kinda surprised by the sheer weight of that thing, and then I plugged it in here and let er loose, wow, pretty impressive machine I thought. Always thought sanyo was kinda trashy but dayummm. Anyways, maybe overpaid maybe not (I dont think so) $65.
 
dont know much about sanyo audio stuff but they make pretty good home theater Hi Def projectors.
for those into that sort of thing.
 
Last edited:
Went to the SA friday auction today. Not much today, but spotted 2 Adcom pieces. A GFA-555 power amp & Adcom GFS-6 six speaker selector box. The bid wound up to $55. 2 other buddies went in & my cut was $15.00. I got both adcom pieces & 2 crappy Sound Tech TT that are very cheap plastic SL-1200 ripoffs. Got home & plugged the 555 in to my Adcom GTP-500 preamp. Left channel was fine, Right channel no sound till I turned up the gain & got distorted sound. Called Adcom, Told me to check the internal fuses, it has 4, I assume for + & - on each channel. Yes, right channel had a blown fuse. Quick trip to RS & it was back in buisness. Don't know why it was blown, I'll let it play awhile before I replace the cover to see if it happens again. Still not bad for $15 + $1.99 for a pack of 4 fuses.:music:

Sweet!! And nice for the ADCOM guys to give you the tips on the fuses. Good Karma goes a long way!

Bart
 
Kudos to Adcom

Sweet!! And nice for the ADCOM guys to give you the tips on the fuses. Good Karma goes a long way!

Bart

Yeh. I was ready to pack it up & ship it to them if I had to. I've been running it several days now with no problem. How sweet it is. :thmbsp:
 
Went on a hunt with my Brother today, found a Toshiba SA-850 it not a super amp but with a little cleaning it will be a great garage amp (and it was only $6).
We found some good records, brother picked up a couple of pre recorded Reel to Reel tapes. Then we hit a Antique mall in Columbus, Wisconsin and found a NAD 7225pe for $25. And above it was a sign saying everything by this vendor 50% off. It works GREAT and for only $12.50 it is a keeper. Great Day!!!
 
Last edited:
Got a pair of excellent sounding Wharfedale Mach 5 speakers for $10. they're not in the best cosmetic shape but they sound good.

The best thrift store find I ever found was a pair of boxed Genelex KT-66s inside a tube case for $3 each That was some time ago, though.
 
Back
Top Bottom