• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

A Robert/pionner tape deck with tubes, 15.00$ at a trift store. Couple of years ago, a complet Nakamichi system one ( rack, amps, pre-amps, tape, timer and tuner) with the speakers, a Ariston audio RD-11 and ADC equilazer for.......2,500.00$, niegbord in my block. A box of radio station tape from the 30 or 40, blues, jazz, around 10 bucks.:yes:
 
I have found literally a ton of stuff at thrift stores over the past few years. best find was probably the Wharfedale W2s, $20, or the near mint SX780 I got last week for $29.95. I got a Discwasher that was marked .99, on 1/2 price day, and a military discount on top, so it was like .37 or something, almost free. I have found quite a few boxed record sets, some are Readers Digest, some Longines. Many are classical music collections from the 50s and 60s, and are very high quality recordings. I got a ten album set of Big Band music, all by original artists, at the SA for $2.00.
 
I bought one off a friend a few weeks ago after seeing how good it sounded. The is one of the nicest sounding consoles I have seen. The free sears I got sounded like s****. It takes up a lot of space, but I would buy another one in a heartbeat if the price was right.

Best deals? I've gotten a few. My local goodwill doesn't get much for electronics anymore, but a few years ago they did.

- Goodwill- MacDonald 8-track/turntable reciever, works good, used it for years now. Sound isn't great but it's not horrible, not the most power but then again I paid $2.50 and the automatic turntable still works:music:

- Garage Sale- Carrena (?) receiver for $1. Been rocking my attached garage for quite a few months now. I paid $1 and the right channel doesn't work but I hooked both speakers to left a & b and it sounds fine. I would guess it's around 50 watts/ channel. Sound quality decent for a cheap black plague product.

- Ebay- Pioneer RX-570 all in 1 system, with PD-M403 6 disc Cd, CS-R580 tower speakers, and the original pioneer cabinet for $75. Works absolutely perfect:thmbsp:

- Friend- Fisher RS-1022 reciever, FREE, needed speaker fuses. Has a cracked display, but sounds amazing for a low-end model. Rivals my top of the line '85 Pioneer equipment. It has a few blown bulbs, I have new ones on the way.

- Thrift store- JVC TD-W254 casette deck, $7.00 works great except it won't record or dub. On ebay right now if anyone wants it:smoke: I already have a 254 so I don't need 2.

I will get pics of my equipment soon.

No pushing your ebay ads on here please..........

Welcome to AK by the way.....
 
4360239634_e3b0556956_b.jpg


Nice mid 80's JVC seperates.....for pennies........
 
Nice Plinth

An AR XA turntable for ..................$4.99 @ Goodwill :)
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 126
Great finds all. My successes (not all SS stuff though):
Boston A-40, $10 - mint other than refoam
Minimus-7 (black steel w/good tweeters), $10 - like new
Minimus-7 (wood versions), $5 - a bit dented but serviceable
Sony STR-V5 with Criterion Ditton-15 Speakers and old teac tape, $50
SX-1080, $40 - great cosmetic condition but needs some caps replaced
Baby Advent, $15 - mint other than refoam
Realistic Nova 8B, Free from curb - good condition, perfect function
Webster PPP 4x2A3 amp (w/RCA tubes) and 2 Jensen field coils 12", $40
Crown D150 II, $40
Sony TC-K5, $10
Technics SL-B2 TT with Ctg, $8
And the best might be a pair of Altec 288K-16 HF drivers from some guy's lawn for $50 - work flawlessly and came attached to MR94 and MR64 horns....see pics
 

Attachments

  • DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00045.jpg
    DSC00045.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 53
you. and me. we be livin' in the wrong 'hoods. :sigh:


lol, I got it at a Goodwill Outlet, in Tacoma. Used some Howard Restor-A-Finish on the plinth. One thing I don't understand, the counterweight is stuck on the surface, like someone crazy glued it there???

Here's a pic with the cover on it.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0031.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 133
OK, scored another nice turntable today. I apologize for the crappy picture/s. I left the card for my Cannon G7 at work, and am suffering along with this Fuji A201. :(

Pioneer PL-L1000 also got a Pioneer PL-55X and a pair of JBL VX902's. I sure wish I'd done some homework before buying the JBL's. Oh well, live and learn.
 

Attachments

  • PL-1000.jpg
    PL-1000.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 75
  • PL-55X.jpg
    PL-55X.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
OK, scored another nice turntable today. I apologize for the crappy picture/s. I left the card for my Cannon G7 at work, and am suffering along with this Fuji A201. :(

Pioneer PL-1000 also got a Pioneer PL-55X and a pair of JBL VX902's. I sure wish I'd done some homework before buying the JBL's. Oh well, live and learn.

Sweet linear tracker, i would love one of those........
 
My very first purchase ever was a Technics SA-400 that I found at a yardsale for $5. I still use it to this day, all I needed to do was replace the speaker circuit fuses and it was good to go. The internal preamp doesn't work for the phono input, but for that price I can't really complain. :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom