• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Not really audio gear but hands-down, far-and-away, and then some the best thrift score I ever made was an original work by the photorealist painter George Kacere.
You probably meant John Kacere? Congratulations on a great score. What did you pay, and what's on the pic? ;)
This might pay for your next real nice audio gear.

While I'm always on the look out for interesting vintage electronics, I make sure to check out other worthwhile "departments" of local thrifts. Last week I picked a pair of beautiful miniature paintings by one Ida Calzolari. They look pretty old, they are originally painted (not prints) and signed. I paid $6.50 for both. :banana:
 
vintage hensi ve-10 volksempfanger replica for €30,- at my work :drool: (i work at a thrift store):banana:


2dsi7oj.jpg

2cmn320.jpg


:music: lovely radio
 
Last edited:
Oh yeah, it was a John Kacere.
And it was a painting of a female butt, in underwear and garters. and I paid $100.
Credit should really go to my wife, who found it.
 
vintage hensi ve-10 volksempfanger replica for €30,- at my work :drool: (i work at a thrift store):banana:


2dsi7oj.jpg

2cmn320.jpg


:music: lovely radio

I've heard of them, that's an odd choice for a re-issue given the political connection.
I picked up a couple original broken VE301W at the Frankfurt riverside flohmarkt in 1978 and made 1 good one which I still have. Also found a VE301DYN 38 in as-new condition in a shop in Berlin about same time that needed a replacement VC for the swelled and cracked crapalloy original and found an exact replacement at Main Funk in Ffm. Fascinating radio parts store with inventory going back to the 1920s. Enjoyed my times in Germany a lot.
 
Ive been very lucky and managed to be given most of my stuff for free

Pioneer SX-850 (worked fine but it's a bit ill right now, gonna fix it though. Pioneer CT F9090, Technics 1310Mk2 (on the blink), Wharfedale Glendale 3XP's. Got it all from a freind who was gonna chuck it all out! :no:

Yamaha Hundred B212 Guitar amp. Basically a Yamaha Version of a Fender dual Reverb. Was apparently 'broken' Plugged it in and it worked fine although a little noisy and crackly. Never sorted that out (giving it a thump quietened it though) and it's under my bed.

Those are probably the best ones. The only part of my hifi in my room that i've actually had to pay for are my b&w 685's. The rest I got given :D
 
I just picked up a Crown DL2 pre-amp with associated power supply from an old couple that had it collecting dust in an old barn. $25. It was hard not to smile when I saw it. Now, I'd like to find a nice matching D-75 or even a D-60 to go with it.
 
I just picked up a Crown DL2 pre-amp with associated power supply from an old couple that had it collecting dust in an old barn. $25. It was hard not to smile when I saw it. Now, I'd like to find a nice matching D-75 or even a D-60 to go with it.
 
Did a second hand store run today:

St. Vincent De Paul : A Jensen tweeter with a woofer $4 with an additional 30% taken off (sale).

Recycle Place : A pair of Realistic Solo 1's for $5

Thrift City : Technics SL-Q200 TT $4.99 with an additional 50% taken off (sale).

Goodwill : A pair of Warfedale Slimlines (pics posted in Speaker thread) $24.99 a piece.
 

Attachments

  • jensen.jpg
    jensen.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 65
  • solo ones.jpg
    solo ones.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 95
  • SLQ200.jpg
    SLQ200.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 103
Did a second hand store run today:

St. Vincent De Paul : A Jensen tweeter with a woofer $4 with an additional 30% taken off (sale).

Recycle Place : A pair of Realistic Solo 1's for $5

Thrift City : Technics SL-Q200 TT $4.99 with an additional 50% taken off (sale).

Goodwill : A pair of Warfedale Slimlines (pics posted in Speaker thread) $24.99 a piece.

Nice Turntable pick up there....
 
Mining Audio Gold

what, aspen has slums? :scratch2: (kidding!)

:D

edit-guessing from post 1701, it must be around frisco, summit county area.

Wouldnt you like to know... Your warm, but not hot. But it is a rich seam of audio gold in these here Rockies. As well as vintage furniture. :thmbsp:
 
Wouldnt you like to know... Your warm, but not hot. But it is a rich seam of audio gold in these here Rockies. As well as vintage furniture. :thmbsp:

nah, i don't need to know. just that your posts make me reminisce about all the good times i had there.
i used to ski at telluride, aspen (aha!?-it's the only other area with a bunch of congregate resorts, all four of them), etc and hike a lot around marble, rocky mtn nat park, climbed a few 14ers, yrs ago. it's my favorite state, and i'm quite familiar with most of it except for the n.w. corner.

i miss it terribly. i hope you're enjoying living there. :yes::thmbsp:
 
Today, I bought a Sanyo DAD 8, for those of you unfamiliar, that's a cd player from 1983...cutting edge indeed. Oh, it works too! I have not hooked it up at home yet. Its one of those few, very cool looking vertical loaders.

This isnt mine, but its the same:

DAD8-USA.jpg
 
Harman Kardon Citation II- Back in the day,(about 15 years ago) my dad found a this for a whopping $24.95 at a local thrift store. In those days, the thrift stores were not price nazis and tended to sell stuff that was broken for cheap. This was one of them. The amp then sat in the backyard shed until we were cleaning a few years ago and he gave it to me as a summer project because I had gained an interest in tubes. It is now my most prized possession.

McIntosh MC2205- This amp was given to me after a friend dropped it on his foot and broke the glass face. He claimed he bought it at the fleamarket for $20. Damn. I wish I had been at the fleamarket that day. I eventually spent $400 on it to get it repaired.
 
nah, i don't need to know. just that your posts make me reminisce about all the good times i had there.
i used to ski at telluride, aspen (aha!?-it's the only other area with a bunch of congregate resorts, all four of them), etc and hike a lot around marble, rocky mtn nat park, climbed a few 14ers, yrs ago. it's my favorite state, and i'm quite familiar with most of it except for the n.w. corner.

i miss it terribly. i hope you're enjoying living there. :yes::thmbsp:

Loving it! We actually live in the far end of the Vail valley. The mountains are terrific and the thrifty shops quite unbelievable! Let me know when your out this way. :banana:
 
Here are my best finds:
A pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s by the side of the road - free
Onkyo TX-4500 w/ a pair of KLH sixes - $15
-Brad
 
Just picked up a pair of Paradigm Titans performance series. Not sure what version they are. Payed $7.99 for the pair. They sound awesome paired with my Oppo 980H and Emotiva 2ch amp.
Cabs have some holes drilled in the back from what looks like a mounting bracket instalation gone bad.
 
Just Picked up a Pair of Bolivar Model 18's!.. Heavy Little buggers... They need(woofers) to be refoamed Havent tried them yet to see if they all work.. Sounds like there a pretty good little speaker from What I have been researching? Not bad for 15 bucks!!
 

Attachments

  • Bolivar Model 18-1.jpg
    Bolivar Model 18-1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Just picked up a pair of Paradigm Titans performance series. Not sure what version they are.

Do they have a wood back on the enclosure or a plastic back? If they are 'Performance Series' then generally (far as I know) they are V1 (wood) ... maybe also V2 (plastic).

There were 2 "versions" of the V1 - earlier has stamped steel baskets and later have cast. The earlier ones have spring-clip terminals and the later have binding posts.

I have both:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198690

Here's another thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253098
 
Last edited:
Fisher "for Sears" am/fm receiver - $6.99

Nice face, and "sound". :)
 

Attachments

  • fisher.jpg
    fisher.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom