• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Paradigm Titan V1

Van_Isle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well, my last post was regarding Polk Monitor 10's. Just to be consistent, I have spied a pair of what I think are Paradigm Titan, version 1 in black ash. Asking $50. Nice for my home office?
 
Register to hide this ad
Got 'Em

So I picked up these speakers this AM. No labels on them but they are 13" x 9.5" x 7.75", two way with binding posts. I popped the back off of them and they are Paradigm drivers - the mid/base driver has a cast chassis. So all that I believe makes them Titans, of later V1 vintage (post-1995, when swapped to Paradigm drivers and pre-1999, when V2 came out). $40 ($10 cheaper than the ad!). Encosures are rough so looks like i'm into a re-veneer (maybe real wood vs. existing vinyl?). Time to go talk to my buddy who is a custom kitchen cabinet maker!

From looking over the net it seems that V1 or V2's in good condition go for $100 to $150 .... so i'm happy!
 
I'm listening to a pair right now. Good little speakers. Better balanced than a lot of small speakers. $40 is a good deal too.
 
Hmmmm.....one tweeter is fried. Coil lead is broken right where I am pointing:
 

Attachments

  • coil_sm.jpg
    coil_sm.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 225
Hmmmm.....one tweeter is fried. Coil lead is broken right where I am pointing:


I got one once with a bad tweeter, the wire broke in the run between the coil and the slip on terminals. There is also suppose to be some foam under that run so the wire doesn't fatigue and break with vibration. Did you pull the foam out or was it not there?

Tweeters are hard to fix. New replacements are available from Parts Express for $16:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-500

They are currently out of stock and can sometimes take forever to get them. Here is another source, but I've never done business with them:

http://www.oregondv.com/Vifa_Speakers_D19TD-05-08.htm

These look like originals, though I believe the Paradigm tweeter has a D19TD-02 number on it, close enough I'm sure.

I have both v1 and v2. The v1 is a bit shorter, an 1" maybe. The v2. has rounded edges in the front. They are both great value even when selling for $150.
 
Thanks for the leads on replacements.

Yes the foam was in there and the original speaker in mine is a VIFA D19TD-05-08.
 
Well, I just checked the other one, while removing the drivers in prep for refinishing enclosures. It is a D19TD2708. What is the difference?
 
Hmmmm.....one tweeter is fried. Coil lead is broken right where I am pointing:

Is it a break or an unsolder where the lead-in attaches to the voice-coil? (Can't tell from your picture.) If an unsolder, you might be able to reflow the solder with a quick tap of the iron. If you do ultimately have to replace the tweeter, the investment is worth it as the Titans are a nice speaker.
 
Info is scarce on that model number. If you're really curious, you might give Paradigm or Tymphany (they now own Vifa) a ring. Paradigm's customer service is great, they sent me a free set of replacement Paradigm logos for mine for free. I'm curious to see how your re-veneer turns out and how you handle the non removable grill. It might make sense to go at it from scratch. I listen to my Titans everyday. They are driven by a denon pma-520.
 
Soundmotor wrote:
Is it a break or an unsolder where the lead-in attaches to the voice-coil?

It is broken at the coil. I don't think there is any solder joint at that point. Only solder I see is at the terminals.

Lukiedog: Interesting that one of my woofers is dated 11/97 and the other is dated 02/98, although the model numbers are the same.

The stickers on the rear of the speakers are missing, and so therefore so are the serial numbers. I wonder, did they sell these originally as a pair - two to a box or boxed individually? In either case the manufacture dates are pretty close on the woofers but as I noted, tweeters are different - so either one was replaced previously or (more likely) different production runs.

Also I had read in other posts that the woofers were screwed and glued down. No glue on mine. I like the quality the cast speaker basket implies. The foam surrounds, by the way are in very good condition (I was worried that I would also have to do those).

I am going to wrap these suckers in black ash vinyl. I am acquiring some Parts Express vinyl for this. I just don't have time at this point to worry with real wood veneer. Also, I may end up putting these as my fronts in my HT setup so the black would match. I may use them to replace some "house-brand" tower speakers I am using right now (I set up the system for Christmas, and the wife is not sure about all the speakers in the living room!) but I would really like them in my home office :D

I'll update as I go along.
 
Titan V.1 Woofer Replacement

I bought a pair of Titan V.1 off craigslist and one of the woofer is blown(speaker disconnected from coil). I believe these are V.1 because the woofer is dated as TITAN95...95 for 1995. What is a good woofer replacement? Paradigm CS is not helping.
 
Stamped steel or cast baskets?

Anyway not sure if this will help you, but here are some measurements someone has taken of a 98 vintage woofer:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-85320.html

That might help you match up a pair of replacements.

Other than that, since the Titan is a smaller speaker it is probably one of those you would more likely see being sold as a "single" or drivers-only sale (think of falls off of speaker stands!). You might get lucky watching "that site'. For example there is a single Phantom currently posted for sale, but I think that uses an 8-inch woofer.

Might help your fellow AKr's come up with a solution if you let us know where you are located as well. How much did the CL Titan's cost, if you don't mind me asking - and what are you willing to spend to get them working?

p.s. w.r.t. my Titans, I got my vinyl veneer - now to acquire some time for the project!
 
The woofer frame is a cast basket. I paid $15 for the pair off CL. The cabinet is beat up, both tweeters are working, one woofer blown. They are currently in my garage system. Looking to spend the minimum to fix the woofer for now. I may fix them up nicely (orig. woofer + veneer) and put them in my listening room in the future. Paradigm offered to sell the original cast basket woofer for $50 + shipping. I am located in Dallas, Texas.


Stamped steel or cast baskets?

Anyway not sure if this will help you, but here are some measurements someone has taken of a 98 vintage woofer:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-85320.html

That might help you match up a pair of replacements.

Other than that, since the Titan is a smaller speaker it is probably one of those you would more likely see being sold as a "single" or drivers-only sale (think of falls off of speaker stands!). You might get lucky watching "that site'. For example there is a single Phantom currently posted for sale, but I think that uses an 8-inch woofer.

Might help your fellow AKr's come up with a solution if you let us know where you are located as well. How much did the CL Titan's cost, if you don't mind me asking - and what are you willing to spend to get them working?

p.s. w.r.t. my Titans, I got my vinyl veneer - now to acquire some time for the project!
 
What do you mean that the woofers are "blown"? If they rattle a bit and you still get noise out of them, they would just need re-foaming, easy and cheap. You will need to do both woofers. $50 is way too much for a Titan woofer.

If the back of your speaker is particle board, as opposed to plastic, then you have a Version 1 speaker, whose woofer came in both stamped metal and later cast versions, I have a set of each. They are both great. The box also changed a bit with the later Version 1 getting a more rounded front and larger box (13" x 9 1/2" x 7 1/2").

The Titan is a very special little speaker made to exacting specs and I doubt you will be able to get the same magic out of them with alternate woofers.
 
Lukedog, The OP has identified that the lead is broken at the coil on one of his woofers and that his speakers were manufactured in 1995 = version 1.
 
Tweeters for the Titans

Back to my blown tweeter .... I picked up a couple used Vifa D19TD-05-08 off "that site" - $26.

I was going to buy a recone kit from Solen www.solen.ca Their part no. 690002

Looks like Solen has gotten more D19TD-05-08 in-stock as well.

They also have the D19SD-05-08 which is identical except for shielding.

In an email I got from Solen they informed me that the D19TD2708 in my other speaker is exactly the same as th D19TD0508, and that the recone kit for the DT19TD will fit the D19TD2708 as well.

So I have the vinyl veneer .... new tweeter ... I have a source of new free speaker cloth ... now just need the time for the project.
 
Apologize for taking over your thread.

Back to my blown tweeter .... I picked up a couple used Vifa D19TD-05-08 off "that site" - $26.

I was going to buy a recone kit from Solen www.solen.ca Their part no. 690002

Looks like Solen has gotten more D19TD-05-08 in-stock as well.

They also have the D19SD-05-08 which is identical except for shielding.

In an email I got from Solen they informed me that the D19TD2708 in my other speaker is exactly the same as th D19TD0508, and that the recone kit for the DT19TD will fit the D19TD2708 as well.

So I have the vinyl veneer .... new tweeter ... I have a source of new free speaker cloth ... now just need the time for the project.
 
More Titans

Hmm, looks like I am going to be "titan-rich". Tomorrow I will pick up another pair in (I think) light cherry finish. The pics for the posting indicate they are pretty mint. We shall see.

So now I will have:

2 pair Titans
1 pair 3SE Mini
1 pair Micro
1 CC-200 centre channel

So since my 1st pair of Titans are still in pieces, I should be able to use these to compare the 3SE Minis to the Titan and decide which I want to keep .... cause something has to go here!

Edit *** Picked up the 2nd pair of Titans today - $40. Few superficial scratches here and there but overall great condiition. These ones have the stamped steel basket on the woofer instead of cast and spring terminals on the rear instead of binding posts / banana jacks so they would be earlier than the 1st pair I got. I'll probably do some swapping of drivers and flog the 1st pair, once (of course) I have managed to get them recovered in the new vinyl. ***
 
Last edited:
The voice coil kit from solen is probably for the version of this tweeter that has alignment screws. Madisound used to have this version. Otherwise, I don't see how you could align the coil in the common D19TD. PE has the whole tweeter for $16, so $11 for the voice coil is not cost effective.

That 2nd pair you got is probably the first version. It should be an inch or so less tall than other Titans. A "shorter" Titan if you will...
 
Back
Top Bottom