• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Gorgeous Pioneer PL-570 sold $3,300 on eBay

Great looking tables above folks! Looks like I will be redoing the veneer on mine above even though there is nothing wrong with it currently. Those others are so much nicer.

That's the sort of workmanship that Chris Harban of Woodsong Audio would produce for a Thorens TD-124, Garrard 301 or Linn Sondek LP12. Check out some of his stuff if you think that one from the OP is gorgeous. Chris is well known within the Linn Community.

https://www.woodsongaudio.com/

Thanks for that link. Beautiful work.
 
I once had a turntable that also had a beautifully made custom plinth. While it looked great, the turntable suffered from high feedback.. Adjusting the suspension reduced feedback, but made the turntable vulnerable to vibrations (ie foot traffic etc). After endless fiddling with the suspension adjustments there was no way to eliminate one without affecting the other.

As a result of this experience, I'm leery of turntables that had been modified in this way unless the modifier really knows the resonant properties of the materials being used at their dimensions.
 
I wonder if I put some nice veneer on my PL12D I could get $3,000 for it? :) Nah, never selling it as I bought it brand new in '76.
 
Still a gorgeously classic looking table after all these years, it was just sad that Pioneer did such a lousy job on the finish of it, but that was the industry standard at the time for all middle of the road stuff produced by all manufacturers. Oddly though this series of Pioneer units (PL-530, 550, & 570) suffered worse than most others.
 
I aqquired one at a garage sale. Has a rotational tic. The ball bearing, on center, under the platter had a single flat on it. I ordered metric ball replacement. Then my neighbor who was a repair tech, told me the flat should rest against bottom nylon cover. Should cure tic. I'll have to try it.
Otherwise in good shape, less vinyl pealing and faded lettering.
 
Looks like this line of Pioneer decks is going the way of Marantz 6300 TT. Way overpriced compared to their performance. Only way I fathom their stratosphere prices is someone has an sx-1010/1250/1280/1980 and want a decent pioneer deck to match their receiver.

If your not trying to match gear id rather have a:

Thorens
Denon
Rega
Vpi
etc... for way less than 3300.00
 
Last edited:
Sure it’s nice to look at and restored but I have better tables at half the price. Buyers remorse in someone’s future.
 
$2,800 additional for a prettier plinth seems a little excessive to me.

To be fair, that one was fully restored as well. With a stock plinth, it would have been in the $800-$1000 range. But, you’re right. That plinth isn’t worth $2300.

What He Said !!!!!!!

Sadly too many people just get caught up in the romance of it all and then realise soon afterwards that they are suffering from Buyers Remorse.

I think the question would be does this model turntable justify the lavish attention bestowed upon it. $3300 says yes?

Looks like this line of Pioneer decks is going the way of Marantz 6300 TT. Way overpriced compared to their performance. Only way I fathom their stratosphere prices is someone has an sx-1010/1250/1280/1980 and want a decent pioneer deck to match their receiver.

If your not trying to match gear id rather have a:

Thorens
Denon
Rega
Vpi
etc... for way less than 3300.00

Sure it’s nice to look at and restored but I have better tables at half the price. Buyers remorse in someone’s future.

The idea of price is sometimes lost on what we consider a performance ratio. The TT here, while we can mostly agree, doesn't have a broad market appeal at the sale price, is an extremely nice example of a mass market TT.

There are more than a handful of people who have found themselves in a very comfortable financial position and look upon a deck like this with a certain amount of nostalgia. My estimation of the buyer puts them in a category of a more casual listener with pockets deep enough that the purchase could be made on not significantly more than a whim. Fussing and fidgeting for the last few % of sound reproduction aren't the criteria for this purchase.

Look at the seller's feedback and you will see several other TT involving casework that went for more than the sonic virtues should suggest. Good for him to find a market for his excellent case work.

It's all good except for when one of us wants to pick up a PL-570 and find that the beaters have risen to $500+.
 
Although re-veneered turntables do look nice, veneer is, after all, just a very thin piece of real wood applied on MDF (usually). I do not see how that could drive the price up so much. Maybe I am missing something?
 
Although re-veneered turntables do look nice, veneer is, after all, just a very thin piece of real wood applied on MDF (usually). I do not see how that could drive the price up so much. Maybe I am missing something?

Not missing anything, these tables are worth way more than we usually pay for them and why we buy them over new, and with the exotic veneer are now one of a kind.

If this was a "new" table with that beautiful veneer what would you expect to pay? Remember, the new Technics is 4G.
 
Does anybody know what the MSRP was on the 570's from I think '77 to '79 when they were made? I would bet that that if you looked at dollars then and dollars now, 40 plus years, the going rate on these is still a bargain.

Mike
 
Anyone who feels that the buyer paid too much probably doesn't understand that there are many people out there who wil pay $10k to fuel their jets for a quick run to dinner. Hell, I know a few of them, was over at a client's for dinner when his Captain showed up in the '54 Vette, had just flown the (Falconjet) back from the coast with a fresh catch of lobster for dinner, ...

Some of us budget for our winter heating, others of us buy major ball teams. There's a lot of area in-between where a $3k turntable doesn't really make any difference if we like it enough to click BUY.

This guy refinishing the TTs is a market-maker, sets his price and waits for buyers, found that they're out there. Good for him.
 
And yes there's plenty of money out there ready to be easily spent.

To some folks the position is very simple................you only live once and as such they live it well, money is merely the passport to the lifestyle they choose to live.


For the rest of us it's about good money management, so back to the grindstone we go.
 
I've mentioned before the upper tier Kennys look black but are actually high gloss dark mahogany wood grain. A better camera might be able to pick it up better, but I did the best I could with my cell phone.

Kenwood KD770D
20181127_170255.jpg

Close up of the plinth
20191111_162505.jpg
 
... and to think, I got my Sansui SR-838 in the dump, thrown away. Now even those are going for near a grand. It is truly amazing what some of these prices have become.
 
Back
Top Bottom