• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Got any good Mexican recipes?

marantzfan said:
Yeah, but it's time consuming...Because you have to make the green chile sauce, also the shredded chicken, then put those together with tortillas and cheese, then bake them in the oven.

Let me dig and I'll get those recipes for you..
.....that would be wonderful, MarantzFan....to me, peppers fall into two categories, and I equate them both with snakes, yes, the no-shoulder boys....some peppers, like jalapenos, strike you once and get off....other peppers strike you and KEEP striking you, and the second bite takes you to a new level of torture....I just don't care for that second type, and if I ever get to the point I'm having to hold milk in my mouth, I'm done, mister....a little chemical heat, sure, but too much chemical heat that mounts sharply with every bite and bringes constant pain for no telling how long, I can do without....then there's the next day, when you're having to wipe with a snowcone.....
 
oilswell said:
Mulester7, you're getting into the finer details of Eatsmanship! I'm going to have to promote you. Chef Boy-R-Oilswell LOVES it fresh-made-warm!! There is one caveat, however. If you make it spicy hot, and your friends don't like it as hot as you do, chill it. It'll fool 'em into learnin' better eating habits as it slowly sneaks up on them. :thmbsp:
.....got it, OilsWell.....
 
....."Chicken Enchiladas"....Yes Sir!....juicy and cheesey made with breast meat....You Bet!....made at home from a killer recipe, I offer half my Kingdom....11 for me, 1 for the dog....maybe 9 and 3....(growling from the dog's direction usually dictates)....anybody seen that outlaw MarantzFan?.....
 
mulester7 said:
....."Chicken Enchiladas"....Yes Sir!....juicy and cheesey made with breast meat....You Bet!....made at home from a killer recipe, I offer half my Kingdom....11 for me, 1 for the dog....maybe 9 and 3....(growling from the dog's direction usually dictates)....anybody seen that outlaw MarantzFan?.....

Okay, for starters I don't use breast meat, it's too tough. You want to either pulled chicken or chicken thigh's. It will produce a more flavorful and more tender filling for your enchiladas. I know that breast meat is more healthy, but hey...This is mexican food!

Okay, the Shredded Chicken Recipe goes like this:

6 Cups Chicken Broth
1.5 Lbs Pulled Chicken
.5 Lbs Green Chile (Roasted and Diced, Frozen is okay but not canned)
1/2 Cup Tomatoes (Diced, Small)
1/2 Cup White Onion (Diced, Small)
3/4 Tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
1 1/2 Tsp Minced Garlic (Fresh is always better than Jarred)
3/4 Tsp Black Pepper
1 1/2Tsp Kosher Salt or Sea Salt (Not table salt)
1 1/4 Tsp Ground Cumin

1. Combine all ingredients and simmer on low heat untill liquid is almost completely reduced. (I'm @ 6,000 ft, so it would be hard to estimate how long this will take you, depending on your elevation).

2. Shred all pieces of chicken with two forks (it should shred very easily now).

Now you have got your shredded chicken to start off your enchiladas. However, a note of caution here. I scaled this recipe down 10 times from the one used in my restaraunt, so this recipe may need a little further fine tuning.

Now, the green chile recipe I have goes like this:

2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Lbs Green Chile (Same as in above recipe)
1 Tbsp Cilantro (Fresh, Chopped Fine) <- Optional
1/2 Cup White Onion (Diced, Small)
1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
1/2 Cup Tomatoes (Diced, Small)
To Taste Kosher Salt
To Taste Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Garlic (Minced)
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Lb Ground Pork
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Lard

1. Brown off pork in a stock pot, then add in onions and cook untill tender.
2. Add in tomatoes, and saute lightly, then add in remaining ingredients except flour and lard.
3. In a seperate frying pan, combine lard and flour, and cook on medium heat stirring constantly untill it smells slightly nutty.
4. Once sauce is at a simmer, slowly add in flour/lard mixture untill sauce is at your preferred thicknes.
5. Lower heat to low and simmer on low for about 15 minutes for flavors to meld.
6. Check seasoning level and adjust salt and pepper if necesary before serving.

Once again, this receipe was also scaled down from a 3 gallon recipe so some things may need to be tweaked a little.

Now, once you've got these recipes done, you will only need flout tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese and shredded asadero or monterey jack cheese.

Now the best way to make enchiladas is to ROLL them. So inside each enchilada put two parts shredded chicken and one part cheese. Then on top, cover them with the green chile sauce, then top with the cheese mixutre. Bake in the oven on low heat, about 350 untill the cheese is melted and everything is hot and ooey-gooey. Enjoy!
 
.....SCORE!!!!.....thanks, MarantzFan....if you'll come up with a killer Mexican recipe at least once a week, we'll take turns relieving you on the window-washing detail here at AK.....
 
Damage said:
Green Tomatilla or Hatch Pepper Chicken Casserole:

1) Cut corn tortillas into 1/4 triangles
2) broil/boil/microwave 3/4 lb of chicken
3) shread chicken and put in pot
4) Add tortillas
Two options (try both):
with Campbells Cream of Chicken
or without
5) Add Tomatilla sauce or Hatch/Habanero Pepper sauce. Either MUST come from a JAR. Can stuff is crap. The thicker the better. You can reduce.
6) Add mix cheese, Monterey and Cheddar is my preference. On top only or mixed in either way you like.
7) Put in oven at 425F for about 15 - 20 minutes.
.....Damage, this one caught my eye also, due to chicken being involved and it appears to be a quick fix....how many corn tortillas cut into 1/4 triangles?....and, do YOU like it better with the can of cream of chicken added?.....
 
.....DAMAGE, I see you're in the House....git that mangy butt in here and answer the above post....
 
mulester7 said:
.....DAMAGE, I see you're in the House....git that mangy butt in here and answer the above post....

Dah...you won't like the habanero sauce anyway, Mulester7. You said you had an adversion to heat. (We know you're not from Texas, now.) :no:
 
oilswell said:
Dah...you won't like the habanero sauce anyway, Mulester7. You said you had an adversion to heat. (We know you're not from Texas, now.) :no:
.....Texas, where the bathroom situations have wall-mounted snowcone machines.....
 
oilswell said:
Dah...you won't like the habanero sauce anyway, Mulester7. You said you had an adversion to heat. (We know you're not from Texas, now.) :no:
.....Oilswell, did you read that chicken enchilada recipe from that outlaw MarantzFan?....did he slip in anything really hot that's going to torture my taste buds?....I don't know, it looked like it wasn't too chemically hot to me....maybe he saw my post about snake peppers and cut the heat??.....

.....back in the mechanical dept up until '98, we used to put only jalapeno peppers whole into a blender, beat them to wet powder, then dip it with chips, big grabs....hey, I love for sweat to fall out of my hairline but my mouth has got to be able to hang in there too.....
 
mulester7 said:
.....Oilswell, did you read that chicken enchilada recipe from that outlaw MarantzFan?....did he slip in anything really hot that's going to torture my taste buds?....I don't know, it looked like it wasn't too chemically hot to me....maybe he saw my post about snake peppers and cut the heat??.....

.....back in the mechanical dept up until '98, we used to put only jalapeno peppers whole into a blender, beat them to wet powder, then dip it with chips, big grabs....hey, I love for sweat to fall out of my hairline but my mouth has got to be able to hang in there too.....

Mulester, they have a fest here in Albuquerque called the "Fiery Foods Show", where I have eaten some insanely hot things in my day...YOu should come to visit during this time!! I will let you know when I find out when it is..
 
mulester7 said:
.....Oilswell, did you read that chicken enchilada recipe from that outlaw MarantzFan?....did he slip in anything really hot that's going to torture my taste buds?....I don't know, it looked like it wasn't too chemically hot to me....maybe he saw my post about snake peppers and cut the heat??..........

That's an affirmative, Mulester7. There isn't much on earth with more capsicum heat than habanero sauce. Habanero is the base element in what the military and cops use in their pepper spray non-lethal crowd control devices! HOT HOT. When I first experienced it, I opened a bag of habanero powder and sniffed. GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY...I sneezed for hours, my nose burned for a day. Even my fingers hurt where I opened the bag. Then I gave it to an (East) Indian friend (with stingent warnings) who claimed to not be frightened of such things. His quote was something like "What does a dumb American know about hot spices?!" Heh heh heh....the next time I talked to him he accused me of trying to murder him. He'd spread it on some fried potatoes and was sick for hours. He downed every bit of dairy product in the house after TWO bites of his taters and couldn't squelch the flames.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. LOLOL!

Perhaps MarantzFan was toying with you. Dunno...but tread lightly, lol.
 
marantzfan said:
Mulester, they have a fest here in Albuquerque called the "Fiery Foods Show", where I have eaten some insanely hot things in my day...YOu should come to visit during this time!! I will let you know when I find out when it is..
.....well, I done some checkin' up on this outlaw MarantzFan, and found out he was a judge in a Chili Contest in Texas....yeah, Texas, where MOST chili recipes will melt your face.....

.....he used a false first name over how he handled the judging out of embarassment....Yes, MarantzFan is Judge 3, going by the first name of Frank....to get this one, I had to make a midnight run with a weak flashlight.....





OFFICIAL FILES OF CONTESTS AND JUDGING REMARKS WITH INDIVIDUAL STATEMENTS OF JUDGES

Frank: "Today, I am honored to be selected as a judge at this chili cooking contest. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judges table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck when the call came in. I've been assured by the other two judges (native Texans) that the chili won't be all that spicy and, besides, they tell me that I can have free beer during the tasting, so I accept."

.....(here are the scorecards from the advent)....(remember, Frank, (ahem), is Judge 3).....



Chili #1 Eddie's Maniac Monster Chili

>Judge #1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

>Judge #2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

>Judge #3 -- What the hell is this stuff?! You could remove dried paint on my driveway. Took me two beers to put out the flames. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy!



Chili #2 Austin's Afterburner Chili

>Judge #1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

>Judge #2 -- Exiting BBQ flavor; needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

>Judge #3 -- Keep this out of reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.



Chili #3 Ronny's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili

>Judge #1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.

>Judge #2 -- A bean less chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

>Judge #3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my back bone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting pie-eyed from all the beer...



Chili #4 Dave's Black Magic

>Judge #1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

>Judge #2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish, or other mild foods; not much of a chili.

>Judge #3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb woman is starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?



Chili #5 Lisa’s Legal Lip Remover

>Judge #1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

>Judge #2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

>Judge #3 – My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead, and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.



Chili #6 Pam’s Very Vegetarian Variety

>Judge #1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

> Judge #2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.

> Judge #3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous sulphuric flames. I pooped on myself when I farted and I’m worried it will eat through the chair! No one seems inclined to stand behind me anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.



Chili #7 Carla’s Screaming Sensation Chili

>Judge #1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

>Judge #2 -- Ho-hum; tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last minute. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge #3. He appears to be in a bit of distress, as he is cursing uncontrollably.

>Judge #3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are filled with lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing; it’s too painful. Screw it; I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.



Chili #8 Karen’s Toenail Curling Chili

>Judge #1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

>Judge #2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild, nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over, and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to REALLY hot chili, said he was from Arizona.
 
mulester7 said:
.....well, I done some checkin' up on this outlaw MarantzFan, and found out he was a judge in a Chili Contest in Texas....yeah, Texas, where MOST chili recipes will melt your face.....

.....he used a false first name over how he handled the judging out of embarassment....Yes, MarantzFan is Judge 3, going by the first name of Frank....to get this one, I had to make a midnight run with a weak flashlight.....





OFFICIAL FILES OF CONTESTS AND JUDGING REMARKS WITH INDIVIDUAL STATEMENTS OF JUDGES

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cooking contest. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judges table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me that I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted."

.....(here are the scorecards from the advent)....(remember, Frank, (ahem), is Judge 3).....



Chili #1 Eddie's Maniac Monster Chili

>Judge #1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

>Judge #2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

>Judge #3 -- What the hell is this stuff?! You could remove dried paint on my driveway. Took me two beers to put out the flames. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy!



Chili #2 Austin's Afterburner Chili

>Judge #1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

>Judge #2 -- Exiting BBQ flavor; needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

>Judge #3 -- Keep this out of reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.



Chili #3 Ronny's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili

>Judge #1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.

>Judge #2 -- A bean less chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

>Judge #3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my back bone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting pie-eyed from all the beer...



Chili #4 Dave's Black Magic

>Judge #1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

>Judge #2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish, or other mild foods; not much of a chili.

>Judge #3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb woman is starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?



Chili #5 Lisa’s Legal Lip Remover

>Judge #1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

>Judge #2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

>Judge #3 – My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off may forehead, and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.



Chili #6 Pam’s Very Vegetarian Variety

>Judge #1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

> Judge #2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.

> Judge #3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous sulphuric flames. I pooped on myself when I farted and I’m worried it will eat through the chair! No one seems inclined to stand behind me anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.



Chili #7 Carla’s Screaming Sensation Chili

>Judge #1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

>Judge #2 -- Ho-hum; tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last minute. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge #3. He appears to be in a bit of distress, as he is cursing uncontrollably.

>Judge #3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are filled with lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing; it’s too painful. Screw it; I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.



Chili #8 Karen’s Toenail Curling Chili

>Judge #1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

>Judge #2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild, nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over, and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he’d have reacted to REALLY hot chili, said he was from Arizona.

I'm flattered, really. But in genreal, the chile spelled with an e, is hotter here than the chili spelled with an i, is in Texas. :yes:
 
marantzfan said:
I'm flattered, really. But in general, the chile spelled with an e, is hotter here than the chili spelled with an i, is in Texas. :yes:
.....well, then I guess I wouldn't be able to hang very long with Arizona Chil'e is all I can say, MarantzFan....good man....sure hope you can find the time to pitch us a bone ever-now-and-then concerning recipes....your friend, mule......
 
oilswell said:
That's an affirmative, Mulester7. There isn't much on earth with more capsicum heat than habanero sauce. Habanero is the base element in what the military and cops use in their pepper spray non-lethal crowd control devices! HOT HOT. When I first experienced it, I opened a bag of habanero powder and sniffed. GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY...I sneezed for hours, my nose burned for a day. Even my fingers hurt where I opened the bag. Then I gave it to an (East) Indian friend (with stingent warnings) who claimed to not be frightened of such things. His quote was something like "What does a dumb American know about hot spices?!" Heh heh heh....the next time I talked to him he accused me of trying to murder him. He'd spread it on some fried potatoes and was sick for hours. He downed every bit of dairy product in the house after TWO bites of his taters and couldn't squelch the flames.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. LOLOL!

Perhaps MarantzFan was toying with you. Dunno...but tread lightly, lol.
.....EXCELLENT POST, Oilswell....I felt I was sitting at a table with you overlooking a neat view, with both of us just sipping coffee.....

.....I think a really comfortable feeling as you compose a post just takes awhile....but you keep posting, and at some point you seem to break through....and, you are governed by this site, which has an onboard McIntosh Forum....all that, can present TALL mountains to try to speak over....so, hang in there, those who break out in hives just thinking about posting for the first time here.....let us ALL post as if we were sitting at a table on a high terrace with a grande overview of the city, sipping hot coffee, and just talking....on the other hand, I personally have always been somewhat Shy about posting...... ....(THUNDEROUS ROOM LAUGHTER)....(frown)....well, at least I was shy for the first four minutes when I discovered computers........
 
mulester7 said:
.....EXCELLENT POST, Oilswell....I felt I was sitting at a table with you overlooking a neat view, with both of us just sipping coffee.....

.....I think a really comfortable feeling as you compose a post just takes awhile....but you keep posting, and at some point you seem to break through....and, you are governed by this site, which has an onboard McIntosh Forum....all that, can present TALL mountains to try to speak over....so, hang in there, those who break out in hives just thinking about posting for the first time here.....let us ALL post as if we were sitting at a table on a high terrace with a grande overview of the city, sipping hot coffee, and just talking....on the other hand, I personally have always been somewhat Shy about posting...... ....(THUNDEROUS ROOM LAUGHTER)....(frown)....well, at least I was shy for the first four minutes when I discovered computers........

Well, you just have a way of making people feel at home, Mulester7, and I enjoy the conversation. But I want you to recognize that I object to the notion in bold above. Nyet on the CITY part. I look out my dining nook overview with a hot cup o' joe and I see...mountains and forests. Mas mejor. :yes:

EDITING HERE....if I could figure out a way to afford some Mac gear, I'd be in there chewing the fat with those guys, too.
 
oilswell said:
That's an affirmative, Mulester7. There isn't much on earth with more capsicum heat than habanero sauce. Habanero is the base element in what the military and cops use in their pepper spray non-lethal crowd control devices! HOT HOT. When I first experienced it, I opened a bag of habanero powder and sniffed. GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY...I sneezed for hours, my nose burned for a day. Even my fingers hurt where I opened the bag.

It's generally a good idea to wear rubber gloves when cutting really hot peppers like the Habanero. Otherwise your hands may start to burn later, or if you happen to touch a more sensitive area of your body, you can be in real trouble.

Another good piece of advice for the newbie it to keep some sour cream around when you first taste a new recipe. It actually _will_ put out the fire in your mouth, unlike water. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom