• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado Hum Database

(...)

With the AC motor and NO grounding cable as provided on the early Thorens tables it should have made a ton o' noise but it was dead quiet.

They are all grounded, but the chassis and tonearm are connected to the right channel ground instead of a separate ground wire.
Remember also the days when turntables used a 5-pin DIN plug: chassis ground was always common to both channels grounds.
 
I'd also like to mention (if not already done by someone else) that hum is also easily caught by cheap wires. I happened to buy some cheap RCA-RCA wires to replace defect ones on old turntables. I started using Vivanco without trouble. I then bought several ones made by another cheap brand and I started hearing some significant hum.
I then rewired the turntable using another audio cable (still cheap but much more robust and with real threaded shield). Still had some hum and thought my amp was concerned. I gave the turntable back to my friend who told me "works like a charm, dead silent".
I then realized that I was using a small RCA box to avoid connecting turntables to the rear of the amp. The wire between the box and the amp is so bad that it catches EMI from the amp itself (or abother device close to it).
I never tested the cheaper RCA-RCA cables again. I prefer the thicker audio wire with threaded shielding. Seems much better inquality, and who knows what people think when seeing what you're using even if it works... :) :) :)
 
Btw anyone test a Grado p-mount on a Technics Sl-7? I want to get one, and get Grado p-mount cartridge and stick my 8mz on it.
 
Btw anyone test a Grado p-mount on a Technics Sl-7? I want to get one, and get Grado p-mount cartridge and stick my 8mz on it.


Should be a DC motor in that table. DC produces no 60hz EMF. The power supply to the motor should be shielded. ie, you should get no hum from the table.
 
Grado Gold in a Technics SL-1311, no hum at all just beautiful music! The SL-1311 can be considered the same as the SL-1600 for all intents and purposes.
 
Should be, however it will be slight and not heard during quiet passages or between tracks. ie, below the vinyl sound floor.
I've put my ear on the front of my speakers and detect no hum. I rewired the arm myself and it's grounded the same as the original AR arm - with the exception that the wiring terminates at RCA females with a separate ground wire to my phono preamp.

But, maybe I just can't hear it. But, if I can't hear then it doesn't exist for me.
 
Last edited:
Grado Gold1 on Audioquest PT6 arm/Rega Planar 2-hum
Same setup but with 8MZ stylus-hum

(I found the Grado sound I wanted in an SAE 1000e cart. Same Grado "body" to the music but no hum)
 
Has anyone tested the Technics SL-B300 with the Grado Black 1 p-mount? I couldn't find any results when searching this thread.
 
Has anyone tested the Technics SL-B300 with the Grado Black 1 p-mount? I couldn't find any results when searching this thread.

Doesn't matter the model number on a Grado, unless it's a B series cart or earlier. Have you found it in the "yes" data base for that particular table?
 
Back
Top Bottom