• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harman Kardon 330(a, b) speaker terminal upgrade

SkyeStereo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Audio Friends,

I mentioned these in my 330a restoration thread but I thought these deserved their own highlight. As I was working on my 330a, I really wanted to upgrade the screw type speaker terminals. I looked around online and found some upgrades on eBay, but I wasn't a fan of the 3D printed, layered look. Fortunately, I had just purchased a desktop laser cutter from a friend and wanted to see if I could figure out how to make my own.

Being a low 50 watt CO2 laser, my options for materials were a bit limited, but cast acrylic was something I could cut, and had on hand. A quick Google search told me that if my receiver were to go up in flames, the cast acrylic would melt before it added to the flames. As long as my use case was far enough away from any major heat source, they wouldn't warp. In the 330a, there was enough air clearance around them, I was confident they would be fine.

With the factory terminals out and calipers in hand, I set about creating my own plates in Adobe Illustrator (it's what I know). Now that I'm familiar with it, I'll do future projects in Light Burn directly.

After a few design trials, I managed to come up with direct fit replacements that didn't warp when 5-way binding posts were screwed into the plates. I'm not an engineer so it was trial and error, but the result, I think, looks great.

Hat tip to @QUiKSR20 for being willing to test a set for me and sending these fabulous photos.

If you are interested in details, DM me.

My next project will be direct replacement upgrades for the 330c.

Thanks for looking! :)
IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0696.JPGIMG_0695.JPGIMG_0685.JPGIMG_0684.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
@dlucy Since these aren't 3D printed, they are laser cut acrylic, is there a more appropriate place to add them than the 3D printed parts thread? If not, I'm happy to add it there as well. And thanks for adding it to the 330B index. I'd love to get a B to complete my trifecta.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
These came out killer and were super simple to install, The fitment was spot on and required zero trimming or effort to line up any of the holes.
Great job @SkyeStereo, glad to help out.
 
@dlucy Since these aren't 3D printed, they are laser cut acrylic, is there a more appropriate place to add them than the 3D printed parts thread? If not, I'm happy to add it there as well. And thanks for adding it to the 330B index. I'd love to get a B to complete my trifecta.

I think that "3D printed" thread really should cover "manufactured at home... using repeatable, sharable digital files" kind of stuff. That definitely should include laser and CNC router cut and engraved projects.
 
I think that "3D printed" thread really should cover "manufactured at home... using repeatable, sharable digital files" kind of stuff. That definitely should include laser and CNC router cut and engraved projects.
Ha, right. I'll add to that thread. Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom