• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has anyone found a pair of speakers and said "I'm done"?

jamiecantar

Well-Known Member
Wondering if through your audio journey, has anyone found the perfect pair of speakers and said "I'm done", no need to look any further.

Which brand and why?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll start: I listen to mainly Jazz, classical, easy listening and pop, some country

(BEST SO FAR)
To me, so far the best speakers I've owned are the B&W DM6's.
Amazing solid build quality, phase time aligned design, silky smooth high's, nice sound stage, accurate vocal midrange and deep bass...

In the running:
I recently acquired a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's. and with a subwoofer, these things are amazing, maybe better than the DM6's (haven't yet A + B tested side by side) Wide soundstage, beautiful midrange. Drawback, their big and you need a large room to utilize them proper...
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
When I got my JBL L150 speakers I knew that I would be keeping them for the rest of my life. The passive radiator gives the bass a special texture which I really love, and the tweeters are very pleasant to listen to for hours, while still being plenty revealing. They are my favorite speakers and I don't see that changing.

But no need to keep looking? When I look for new speakers, that doesn't automatically mean that I'm somehow dissatisfied with what I already have. Sometimes it's just fun to try new/different things.
 
Most people reach a certain point and say I'm done. Every time I purchased or built a new system I've said it. It's even worse if you're a DIY speaker guy like me. My last store bought speaker system was a pair of Shahinian Obelisks. Great speakers that I should never have sold.
 
Yes I have, many times. Then I moved and had to sell them. Found another set and for now, I can say I'm done. At least until I get a different place.

Still like to tinker. But, the speakers I have now are it.
 
Magnepan MG 3.6/R . I've heard a lot of speakers, built a bunch from scratch, built some really nice Audio Concepts kits (Mike Dzurko designs), but I've never heard anything that involved me as much, and completely disappeared with my eyes closed, as these do. Other speakers have had deeper extended, tighter bass, while others may have had more gee-whiz sparkle, but nothing has ever created such a deep. holographic soundstage nor reproduced the sound of real acoustic instruments and voices like these have. Not even close. I'd love to hear a set of Tympani some time (and build another huge room for them), but that won't happen. Soo... unless something really unusual happens, yeah... these are my last serious main-listening-room speakers.
 
Actually not just my speakers but my whole system at this point. Which is strange for me because I’m middle aged and have been in this hobby since I was a teen. My Hales Cncept Twos are so much better in every way than any speakers I’ve ever owned that I could never part with them. Their only weakness is the bass only goes down so far but that just keeps me from getting into trouble with the neighbors when I crank it.
 
I am pretty much there for now. Unfortunately, I know at some point in my life I will need to downsize a bit.

I also sold some of the most special speakers I ever owned. Clearfield Continentals (von Schweikert)

Between my Dyns and Fynes, I am pretty happy right now. Between the ages of 58 and 60, I was able to buy my first complete all new gear system for the first time since my 20s when the budget was way smaller.
 
I'll never be 'done'. But I could easily go to 1 pair if i had to. Just not sure which ones...they're all different.
 
Well for me I will always be looking for something else to try but recently I picked up a very nice pair of JBL L-96's. I love their sound in my room which isn't really big so I think they fit just right, both in looks and sound. So I have just got into tubes with a Frenzel TPA and I really love the sound of the tubes more than I thought I would. The 96's are fairly rare, only made in 1981 if I am not mistaken. So I don't think they are going any ware.
 
Back
Top Bottom