• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has vinyl peaked?

The price of new LPs really gets me I see why they cost so much. $24 bucks is crazy for a LP with only 8 songs. Now granted many LP's come with a free download so that right there is worth something but not justifying the $24 dollar price. That being said I am still buying new vinyl I'm just pickier about it.
 
I don't know how vinyl sales are faring among high-end audio owners, but among the buying public as a whole they continue to rise: up 89% to 1.9 million in 2008, up 33% to 2.5 million in 2009, up 14% to 2.8 million in 2010, up 39% to 3.9 million in 2011, and up 17.7% to 4.6 million in 2012. These figures are just new vinyl, not used.

That being said, sales didn't rise at nearly the same rate in 2012 as they did in 2011. So, there might be something to your theory about vinyl sales peaking. To really assess that, though, I guess you'd have to compare to digital (CD, MP3, etc.) sales and overall sales for the same time period. Did digital sales and overall record sales also follow similar patterns in 2011 and 2012, or just vinyl?

:scratch2: The Washington Post reported that record sales in 2012 have not been higher since 1997. Up 52% from 2011, $171 million globally. Is there data accurate? :scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • Vinyl-sales-chart.jpg
    Vinyl-sales-chart.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9
I don't even worry about anything when I spin records. It's not a ritual or anything like that. It's just music. I've been buying used records for years and giving them that first good cleaning is just second nature. If it's a PITA to you.I guess it's time to get off the fence and take the digital plunge. There's no shame in that. I know lots of audiophiles who have done it and I do not question it. It's their lives and the direction they want to go.
 
Shhh...
I want everyone to think that all vinyl lp's sales has peaked and its a outdated medium.

To help out I would also like to volunteer to remove all your excess vinyl records. (No show tunes, opera or lawrence welk albums tho)

PM me for details

Give me your tired vinyl records yearning to be free!
 
FWIW---

Went to Frys Electronics today. Their LP section is as large as it was months ago. A good many new releases including the new Beatles as single LP sales.

I walked out with two Mumford & Sons , Babel and Sigh No More


Went back to Frys today... Needed a couple of resistors

They have expanded their LPs -- Lots of Rap & new artists

The new Beatles LPs were mostly gone but they have more on order said the music guy on the floor

I picked-up Dave Matthews Band 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Double LP... Will report back soon :music:
 
I picked-up Dave Matthews Band 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Double LP... Will report back soon :music:


Have listened to both LPs completely through 2x now... Once with my Class D amp in the system and last night with my new to me Behringer A500 (link)

This double album has more of 'that sound' we expect from a LP of the Golden Era (late 60s to mid 70s) than either of the Mumford & Sons' LPs I got a little while back. Those M&S LPs were so ordinary sounding whereas Big Whiskey has sparkle and nice separation & decent soundstaging

IMO -- Big Whiskey is worth the $$$
 
Last edited:
Went back to Frys today... Needed a couple of resistors

They have expanded their LPs -- Lots of Rap & new artists

The new Beatles LPs were mostly gone but they have more on order said the music guy on the floor

I picked-up Dave Matthews Band 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Double LP... Will report back soon :music:

Whereabouts in SoCal are you Frank? Are you in LA?

The nearest Frys to me is in Manhattan BEach, it doesn't stock any vinyl AFAIK
 
Back
Top Bottom