• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

hate to keep asking, but Sansui SP-3005

donberry

Super Member
anyone have any idea what a pair of these in good condition are worth?
It is the bi ampable speaker
these are not them, but look just like them
Sansui%20SP-3005.jpg


all i know is it is a very rare speaker.
 
Register to hide this ad
so, no ideas? $100 - $200 ?
I was actually thinking around $300 or so due to rarity but have no idea. I know shipping would be a bear
 
There just isn't much demand for Sansui speakers. I paid $50 for my SP-2500s, and I thought they were mighty nice (the son-in-law has them now).
 
I didn't know if they may actually be worth something due to their rarity. Not a whole lot of these floating around.
 
In actuality these are quite rare and the last pair I saw on eBay was around if not over $1000. Really.

In digging around the interweb I could find one reference to a pair being sold 3 years ago for $380. The two pair that sold within the last year on eBay seem to be gone.
 
In actuality these are quite rare and the last pair I saw on eBay was around if not over $1000. Really.

In digging around the interweb I could find one reference to a pair being sold 3 years ago for $380. The two pair that sold within the last year on eBay seem to be gone.

seems most people dismiss these because they see sansui speaker, without really knowing much about them. I have a pair in really good shape and wanted to know where to start with them. trying to find info on them, all I could really find was that they are bi-ampable and extremely rare. Not many have even seen them, let alone hear them.
Seeing as they are so rare, i was thinking(hoping) that they would actually be pretty valuable. I could not imagine selling these for $100.00. Would just rather use them as end tables 1st.
They actually sound pretty good, but as I now own a pair of HPM-150, HPM-100, Klipsch KG3 and PBS 500 speakers with stands, I thought I could get a pretty decent amount for these on my quest for a SX-1080 receiver or better to go along with the HPM-150 speakers.

The only real downside I see to selling them is the size. I have no idea how you ship something this big. If I insist on local pickup, I have taken 2/3rds of the United States out of the market, hence, lowering the price.
If I knew how to ship something like this, I was, and this may be wayyyyy off, thinking i could get $500-$800 for these pretty easy.
If I collect sansui equipment, i would think owning a pair of these would be a coup - you would be one of a very few with a pair.
anyway, that was my thoughts - If I sell the Klipsch KG3 and the PBS 500 speakers, i figure I will get around $300 on ebay (for both pairs - 150 a piece)as that is what some just sold for recently (tho mine are in better shape and the PBS also has the original stands so I may get a little more)
$300 will be a start, but I wouldn't mind keeping the PBS 500 speakers around for the bedroom. I also wouldn't mind the Klipsch for another bedroom.
the sansui speakers are not bedroom speakers. Between them and the HPM-150 and HPM-100, wayyyyy too much speaker for the family room and wife is not happy.
just trying to get the most bang for the buck on my quest for a pioneer receiver or amp.
Sorry so long winded, just thinking as I write, now u know why I am always lost with thoughts like these,
 
Try Craigslist first and see if you get any interest at the price you want. Using CL, you generally avoid shipping issues, and anyone interested gets to see them in all their glory.

I see some ebay sellers show shipping simply as "freight" and they leave it up to the buyer to arrange shipping. You could set a reserve at the price you must have, but you have to spend a few bucks to see if anyone gets in a bidding war to get them to the price you want. Good luck.

Regards,

D-Ray
 
I have a pair I bought at a thrft store. To ship them is no big deal as there are lots of shipping companies that crate or box and ship big eBay sales.
Call them up, give them the dimensions and the weight, and go from there. Even the UPS store would probably handle it.
 
Do _you_ like them? Or is it an investment thing?

seems most people dismiss these because they see sansui speaker, without really knowing much about them.

They are not highly regarded, as is the case with many speakers of their type. The "type" is generally referred to as "Kabuki". I've no idea where the name actually comes from with relation to this kind of speaker, but the word does have a very specific meaning, as quoted here.

As it concerns this speaker's type, it is generally accepted to mean "load the cabinet wall-to-wall with as many drivers as possible". To me, Kabuki speakers are meant to impress the eye and the uninformed ear.

The eye, because they impress the new enthusiast by the sheer quantity of drivers. The uninformed ear, because many new enthusiasts are impressed by:

1. the high sound pressure levels this type of speaker can produce with relatively low amounts of power, and
2. the overly bright sound.

Some people enjoy that kind of performance on a long-term basis, while others eventually discover speakers that they feel more accurately reproduce the way the material actually sounded when it was originally recorded (or transmittted, in the case of live performances). Also, the latter group may also find this type of speaker fatiguing to listen to.

I believe that in absolute terms, their value would never approach the $1,000 mark I saw quoted in a previous post, unless a new enthusiast became overly enthusiastic in his bidding.

Likely value to someone who enjoyed this kind of performance would be in the $100-$200 a pair, IMHO.

Having said all that, if you like 'em, they're good for you! :smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom