• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hello from Serbia

Some of my DIY projects
Steampunk Amplifier

Started with housing. Old thermometer.
ISKRA-starinski-merilnik-temperature_50577ce1d50a4.jpg iskra5.JPG iskra4.JPG iskra2.JPG
Choosing amplifier. TPA3116
TPA3116_module1.jpg

Putting some VU meters, RCA and silver binding posts, retro look POT knob
DSC00315.JPG DSC00316.JPG IMG_7482.JPG IMG_7484.JPG IMG_7487.JPG
 
In fact, one of my closest colleagues @ my military years was Serbian-born. His name was (he's deceased) Pavel. He was born and reared in Novi Sad (Нови Сад).
 
One of my best and closest ftiends is from abroad and I meet him on forum.
Life is strange phenomena.
 
Beautiful gear!!!!!

Welcome to AK, BrankoZ! :)

Nice Marantz CD Player
Thank you.
There are an interesting story about that CD player.
Some 30 years ago I was a student and an audiophile in development. For that time , with some good components according to student budget.
Pioneer SA9800 AMP, KEF Concerto speakers and a Techniks turntable.
Then CD players emerged. We read about them, see some advertisements in magazines but there are not any to buy. And a price was very high (for me) then. All audiophiles then only dreamed about CD player.
A friend of me traveled abroad and bought Marantz CD73 player. First thing after I heard for that news I organized to test it in my system.
TadadaDam. Firs CD player in my hands. Very strange machine, odd opening and loading mechanism, illuminated CD media while playing, 14bit DAC,...
Still remember DECCa edition Dvorak New World Symphony and impression CD sound left on me. For me it was incredible experience and difference from my usual ( vinil) sound. But I was so sad that there are no way I can posses one.( to expensive for a student, no availability in Serbia then,...)
Then a lot of years past, I bought and I changed a lot of CD players, systems, but still lack for my very first ever heard CD player Marantz CD73.I always searched for "that" sound I heard from CD73. Maybe it was fiction.
Than after a 25-27 years I once met my friend ( we are very close neighbors nowadays) and ask "what happened with old CD73?" Answer was that he doesn't use it any more and it is in cellar. Maybe you can guess but CD73 finished on my table. Some cleaning and adjustments, and now it sings as new.
Very first CD I ever saw , heard and touch, Player that was so much wished and expected, player which so much impressed me with sound, look, operation is finally mine.:banana:
And the very same example.:rflmao:
 
Thank you.
There are an interesting story about that CD player.
Some 30 years ago I was a student and an audiophile in development. For that time , with some good components according to student budget.
Pioneer SA9800 AMP, KEF Concerto speakers and a Techniks turntable.
Then CD players emerged. We read about them, see some advertisements in magazines but there are not any to buy. And a price was very high (for me) then. All audiophiles then only dreamed about CD player.
A friend of me traveled abroad and bought Marantz CD73 player. First thing after I heard for that news I organized to test it in my system.
TadadaDam. Firs CD player in my hands. Very strange machine, odd opening and loading mechanism, illuminated CD media while playing, 14bit DAC,...
Still remember DECCa edition Dvorak New World Symphony and impression CD sound left on me. For me it was incredible experience and difference from my usual ( vinil) sound. But I was so sad that there are no way I can posses one.( to expensive for a student, no availability in Serbia then,...)
Then a lot of years past, I bought and I changed a lot of CD players, systems, but still lack for my very first ever heard CD player Marantz CD73.I always searched for "that" sound I heard from CD73. Maybe it was fiction.
Than after a 25-27 years I once met my friend ( we are very close neighbors nowadays) and ask "what happened with old CD73?" Answer was that he doesn't use it any more and it is in cellar. Maybe you can guess but CD73 finished on my table. Some cleaning and adjustments, and now it sings as new.
Very first CD I ever saw , heard and touch, Player that was so much wished and expected, player which so much impressed me with sound, look, operation is finally mine.:banana:
And the very same example.:rflmao:

Great story! :thumbsup:
 
I love the steam punk rigs. I have many strange boxes that I can not fit my tube amps in. The TPA just solved that issue. Thank you for that.
 
For now TPA is fed with this CD player. Computer CD RW (or maybe only R) in external case. Nice thing thet there are remote control for it. Bad thing that there are not display. Still to do: Making digital out and use of DAC.
IMG_7492.JPG IMG_7489.JPG
I am planning to change it to some more steampunk design or maybe to make another steampunk CD player. Need some time, ideas, brass and cooper.

Now something about streaming. With already seen AppleAirPort Express i have also ROKU Soundbridge M500.
DSC00874.JPG DSC00875.JPG
And FLACs are here. Two 1TB hard discs and Pogoplug is used to connect them to the router. More than that, it makes all my music visible over internet. Even abroad I can approach my music over internet. Too pity is that FLAC can not be played directly. Does anybody know way to play FLACs over internet?
I must confess that article on AudioKarma (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ng-a-pogoplug-e02-into-a-music-player.563116/) convicted me to use Pogoplug. Still I do not have courage to hack Pogoplug with Archlinux and MPD but that idea was very interesting.

Again some of my DIY attempts. Not real DIY but hack of a brand DAC. Audio Alchemy Dac in The Box. Allmost steampunk look. Pretty good old DAC, 20 Bits AD1864 but only RedBook decoding (16Bits 44KHz) not DSD nor HighRes. No need for more than 16/44.
I changed power supply with (hope) much better one and changed Op Amp inside. Now it is BB OPA2111 KM inside. I also made some modification on OPA. Beter decoupling and supply is raised to +/- 15 V instead of ordinary +/-5V. (Not visible on picture)
Now it sounds muuuuuuch better.
DAC_in_the_box.jpg DSCN1246.JPG Audio Alchemy 1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Long time I didn't posted anything here. Shame on me.
I was occupied with new DAC.
It is finished now and I will post some pictures first .
It is DSD capable dac with tube output. Also is done pure LPF conversion of a PWM DSD signal and it can be used as DACless DAC.
I2S Over USB is XMOS MIPS500 based
I2SoverUSB_1.jpg

DAC is AK4490 as a daughter board
AK4490_p.jpg

In case of DSD is feed to XMOS then LPF make conversion. Instead of AK4490
filter.jpg
Tube output is here (6n17b)
DSC00886.JPG
Housing
CAM00052.jpg
Set Up contains WYSE thin client running Daphile Linux , USB hard disk and Android as User Interface
dac2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom