• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help Me AK!!! What Kind of Speakers Are These?

Passive? They weigh 40 pounds each. Also why would there be two sets of inputs. I hope they're passive but I'm really not convinced yet that they are passive. Maybe more AK'ers can chime in.

Given their width and placement of the inputs, I'd venture to say they are stereo...Left and Right in each enclosure.
 
doesnt the seller know anything about them? since you paid a pretty penny for them i beleive they were not at a goodwill store but bought from the seller in person. (could you take them to a decent pawn shop maybe they can evaluate them for you and give you more info? they usually are very informed on vintage things)
 
doesnt the seller know anything about them? since you paid a pretty penny for them i beleive they were not at a goodwill store but bought from the seller in person. (could you take them to a decent pawn shop maybe they can evaluate them for you and give you more info? they usually are very informed on vintage things)

only if it has a hole in one end and a trigger on the other.....:boring:
 
In looking at that back panel, the cap screws appear to be something that was touched on before.

If we think about it, the caps probably cover a stud or screw in the wood. Effectively, it is either a stud screwed into the wood or the head of the screw is covered by the veneer on the other side of the wood. You'd probably have to unscrew the cap screws and see if you could lift/bend/pry part of the back panel (metal or plastic) to clear the stud/screw. **I see screws on the top, and cap nuts on the bottom, suggesting the screws come out leaving a way to slide that panel out, while the bottom stud is a placement / locating stud held down then with the cap screws.

Failing that, try to counter twist the stud out of the wood, or feel on the back side of the panel for a faint depression that would suggest a bolt head there. You could also (destructively) drill into the back side to release uncover the screw or bolt head.

Another possibility is to unscrew both terminals, noting with maybe a little red paint which is the + terminal (if that is marked). I suspect there may be some sealant there as well.

If you now undo all the cap screws, perhaps the panel comes out in two long halves via a center seam. I wouldn't be surprised again if there was glue or sealant on the center seam so that once assembled, not meant to be disassembled. That would make sense from an assembly point of view unless the caps are actually cap screws, then the whole assembly should be free to come out unless sealed with silicone or similar adhesive. its a glued system that resists disassembly, that makes it a bit more challenging.

I would agree that exploring the bottom edges of the grille, or having to cut one side would then potentially free the grille. Its possible the only edge is hidden inside the box.

If one was to decide how to actually built this speaker, I'll bet that it was done in one half with the large bottom (speaker laid flat) and baffle dowel glued together. The drivers installed, then the grille installed and secured. The back panel could then be wired in, any stuffing then put in, then the top panel glued in and the cap screws/nuts and terminals for the finishing touches.

Who knows, you may have to take the terminals off and find someone who has a small endoscope (thin tube with light source and camera on it, maneuverable too) to see inside if you can't get it apart.
 
My advice:

"curiosity killed the cat"

They work, so find a way to use them.

I see no point in opening them up, unless you bought them just to learn about them. I know about curiosity, but I also know that things can be destroyed if they were not built to be opened.

Chances they were built with some kind of mid frequency phase shift so they would sound with a wide sound stage. I have a Panasonic boom box with that feature, and it works pretty well.

You could use them in an ambience system for a small room, or a 4 channel system. Or you could just bridge the L and R inputs on each and use them as conventional stereo pair.

You asked.

I removed those as well and no big screw. I think the previous suggestion of gently prying is the only option but I won't go there yet. I did hook these babies up and they sound very nice. Hollow Mids and Great Highs. No Bass!

I determined that the two inputs on each speaker represents Right and Left or maybe they can be bi-amped? I can tell you that the the separation is astonishing given the fact that they're only 24" wide. Listening to some Monk on them as I type and they sound rather nice. I was able to throw some power at them and they handled that effortlessly. I used my Mc 7270 and with to the halfway point before I realized it. It felt as though I could have gone deeper.

These may be keepers boys. But I'd still like to know what they are. Patience is a virtue. Please advise.

 
So I gave these to my Handyman friend of mine who could not figure out how to open without damaging them cabinet. Therefor, I'll leave them as they are and enjoy the beautiful sound they produce. But man do I want to know what's in the cabinet.

Thanks all for your input.
 
Who knows, you may have to take the terminals off and find someone who has a small endoscope (thin tube with light source and camera on it, maneuverable too) to see inside if you can't get it apart.

I think that is the best option. Pull the speaker terminals and have a peek inside. Only then will you see how it's assembled in a non-destructive way.
 
I think that is the best option. Pull the speaker terminals and have a peek inside. Only then will you see how it's assembled in a non-destructive way.

i can hear it now...
"Doc,i've got a problem.Would you have a look in my....:D"
 
they are passive-they are 40lbs because they were made in the 60s and that's just how we built things back then-HEAVY! .....AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!
 
Back
Top Bottom