• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HH Scott Owners Thread

The scott products i have worked on have been straight forward solid engineering.
The fishers ive worked on have tended to need a lot of redesign work.
Scott stuff seems much easier to find as well.
 
Any thoughts on Scott S-2 speakers? I believe from the early sixties...same as my other Scott gear. 12 inch woofer...2 mids and a tweeter. 16 ohms.

I wonder how they might sound in my Scott set up.

The other other Scott speakers I've owned were smaller bookshelves. They sounded quite good.
 
Proud owner of a 340b late model checking in. My favorite tube audio company. I think the can go toe-to-toe with The Fisher any day and beat them in some things. I'm glad I grabbed two matched quads of 7591s 27(?) years ago. Can't believe how rare they've gotten and $$$$.
 
7591 arent rare and arent significantly more expensive than other similar power tubes.
Jim Mcshane just told me he has 2 quads in stock and ive bought at least 4(quads) from him directly. They are not hard to get.
Old stock can be listed at a very high price, for a very long time, and not sell. Often when an old stock quad does change hands the price isn't recorded for the internet to see.

The last 2 quads of hh scott branded tubes i came in to were free. I just had to do the leg work to find them. So dont get discouraged by online pricing, it doesn't reflect reality.

Yes our Scott's will give comparable Fishers a run for their money in the performance department.
 
7591 arent rare and arent significantly more expensive than other similar power tubes.
Jim Mcshane just told me he has 2 quads in stock and ive bought at least 4(quads) from him directly. They are not hard to get.
Old stock can be listed at a very high price, for a very long time, and not sell. Often when an old stock quad does change hands the price isn't recorded for the internet to see.

The last 2 quads of hh scott branded tubes i came in to were free. I just had to do the leg work to find them. So dont get discouraged by online pricing, it doesn't reflect reality.

Yes our Scott's will give comparable Fishers a run for their money in the performance department.
Good to know. When I first purchased it I had a little sticker shock at the NOS pricing!:thumbsup:
 
The scott products i have worked on have been straight forward solid engineering.
The fishers ive worked on have tended to need a lot of redesign work.
Scott stuff seems much easier to find as well.
Do Fishers have the issues of missing or lack of schematics on certain models? My 299C has no known matching schematic.
 
Im working on a Fisher right now where the schematic is wrong.
Lots of schematics will have errors on them.
Makes a person a beter tech.
Scott may have neglected to publish a schematic for a few different models, but they all fit a theme. Meaning the design elements are used throughout the model lines. For example, the entire 299 series uses fixed bias derived from a separate 48v power supply, which powers the front end tubes with dc and biases the power stage.
So maybe some resistors change, but its a familiar tune. Their RIaA phonostage is another one, it appears all over the place, using the same PEC to compensate the feedback network, brilliant.
Their triode pentode splitter stage went through a few changes, but no major overhauls. Fisher used 12Ax7, 12dw7, as well as the triode pentode tubes for va/splitter duty, often running on the edge of the margins.

I think people who draw schematics intentionally put obvious mistakes into them, so that know nothing copycats like my self have a harder time stealing their intellectual property by cloning their circuits, yet i prevail.

Most of my scott rebuilds get bias and balance controls added or refreshed, 10 ohm cathode resistors for reading bias current, new coupling an electrolytic caps, 220k resistors on the power tube grids, 100 ohm screen stoppers, and by the time they leave the all look remarkably similar to one another.
 
It was mentioned decades ago by Daev Roehr that there were at least 7 (seven) different versions of the 299C. The LK-72 didn't escape that issue either. So, you might want to check an LK-72, LK-72B or 299D and see if you can find what you need. Recently, I was working on an LK-72. The tube layout suggested the 299D or LK-72B but clearly, it was an LK-72 from the beginning. I ended up using the LK-72B schematic for this very late model LK-72.

No doubt, "Back in the day" when Scott was servicing this equipment, there were service bulletins that had revisions. We are so lucky for what we DO have today, ~ 60 years later.
 
Last edited:
Greetings, all Scotties!
I bought a very nice, original Scott 299C 15 years ago, and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since. I want to have it checked out and brought back to active life. Which 'reputable technician' do you recommend to have the work done? PMs are more than welcome.
Thank you.
 
I will soon be rotating my 340B back. A few weeks ago I was listening to my Fisher 400. I hadn't listened to either of them with my Forte II's for a long time.
 
Back
Top Bottom